Jump to content

MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bengals

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Granted, but if you've been following since around 2000, even 4 playoff appearances is still relatively rare.

True enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, NYLion said:

This has been the case for 60 years even in a good year.  I can't remember the last Lions team that was considered much more than a fringe playoff team.  Even the '91 Lions were nowhere near a Super Bowl contender. the '93 Lions were a mediocre division winner and the '14 team which might have been the best Lions team of the last 6 decades (as sad as that sounds) wasn't a Super Bowl contender so in other words, I do not disagree but what else do we have to root for?  I'd rather watch a Lions playoff game knowing that they'll probably lose than not watch a Lions playoffs game at all.

I thought the 2014 team was good enough to go deeper. The other NFC playoff playoff teams didn't look all that much better than the Lions that year. Really too bad how it ended.

1991 – pretenders

1970 – should've been in the Super Bowl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Whoops, I forgot about the win against the Vikings. 

Which is an important win because it check off another box: A road win against a playoff caliber team.  One less thing for superficial anti-Stafford complainers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, number20 said:

I thought the 2014 team was good enough to go deeper. The other NFC playoff playoff teams didn't look all that much better than the Lions that year. Really too bad how it ended.

1991 – pretenders

1970 – should've been in the Super Bowl

 

1962 was probably the best lions non-championship team.

1995 was a good team too.

2014 hurt.  that team was good, just not as good as green bay or cheating refs in dallas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If.. And a big if. If the Lions make it in, their most likely opponent will be Rams. Could the Lions go out to LA and steal one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And they don't have a dominant offensive or defensive unit to paper over the fundamental flaws.


Mostly agree, but their secondary has been strong. WRs are underrated. And Stafford, though he sometimes struggles when asked to do too much, paper over a lot of flaws.

If this team were to make it into the playoffs, the ability of the secondary to create turnovers gives them a shot to do damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JAYB said:

If.. And a big if. If the Lions make it in, their most likely opponent will be Rams. Could the Lions go out to LA and steal one? 

If the lions get in, it’s probably because Atlanta lost their last two games, right? That would put the saints as the nfc south winner. 

It would come down to the rams-titans game this week. Rams are favored of course, but the titans are at home and they are a good team. 

So yeah, rams are the most likely, but still a good chance it would be the saints. 

Who would you rather play on the road? I think I would prefer the rams, but who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Buddha said:

1962 was probably the best lions non-championship team.

1995 was a good team too.

2014 hurt.  that team was good, just not as good as green bay or cheating refs in dallas.

2014 really did suck. I remember watching that game early on and thinking that it was all coming together, and with a lot of disbelief at how well things were going. Bummer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t even remember the final game against the packers and that it would have won them the division. I don’t remember if it would have gotten them a bye or just a home game, and who the first round opponent would have been. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

2014 hurt.  that team was good, just not as good as green bay or cheating refs in dallas.

Yeah gee, what a difference having a real pass rush makes.

You do you want to see win the Bears v Browns game Buddha?  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shelton said:

10-6, with every loss coming to a playoff team, and every win coming against a non-playoff team, seems about right for a team that just misses the playoffs. 

This is not a good football team, unfortunately. They had the potential to be good, but they didn’t get the injury luck they needed. 

They did beat the Vikings. 

EDIT: I see you addressed it shortly after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

538 has an article about playoff scenarios that badly misrepresents the lions’ chances. 

They also present one kind of wild scenario for each team, but they get the one involving the lions wrong. The one they pick is where Atlanta wins this week (meaning that the lions need to get the three way tie with New Orleans or Carolina), but they include the rams-titans game as a result they need, which is not a result that has any bearing on the lions making the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wondered about the 1999 Lions... The year that Sanders suddenly retired just before camp... and the Lions still went on to win 6 of their first 8 games.  But in that 8th game against the Rams, Batch broke a finger against a Ram's defender's helmet... and the season spiraled down the drain with Frerotte at the helm.

What if Sander didn't retire?  What if Batch didn't break his finger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NYLion said:

This has been the case for 60 years even in a good year.  I can't remember the last Lions team that was considered much more than a fringe playoff team.  Even the '91 Lions were nowhere near a Super Bowl contender. the '93 Lions were a mediocre division winner and the '14 team which might have been the best Lions team of the last 6 decades (as sad as that sounds) wasn't a Super Bowl contender so in other words, I do not disagree but what else do we have to root for?  I'd rather watch a Lions playoff game knowing that they'll probably lose than not watch a Lions playoffs game at all.

The 90's Lions had talent. They didn't have a QB. Imagine if Stafford had Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, and Brett Perriman. The line also wasn't bad with Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t even remember the final game against the packers and that it would have won them the division. I don’t remember if it would have gotten them a bye or just a home game, and who the first round opponent would have been. 

They would have had a bye. They would have been tied for the best record in the NFC. They would have had a better conference record than Dallas but a worse record in common games against Seattle so the Lions would have been the 2 seed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who should we be cheering for this weekend?

Dallas to Beat Seattle?

Tampa to Beat Carolina

NO to beat Atlanta?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I always wondered about the 1999 Lions... The year that Sanders suddenly retired just before camp... and the Lions still went on to win 6 of their first 8 games.  But in that 8th game against the Rams, Batch broke a finger against a Ram's defender's helmet... and the season spiraled down the drain with Frerotte at the helm.

What if Sander didn't retire?  What if Batch didn't break his finger?

Batch could never stay healthy. That was the whole problem.  Which led to Joey Blue Skies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

Who should we be cheering for this weekend?

Dallas to Beat Seattle?

Tampa to Beat Carolina

NO to beat Atlanta?

 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

There are a few scenarios. The easiest path for the Lions would be to win the last two, and have Atlanta lose in New Orleans and lost again in Atlanta to the Panthers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Provided Detroit wins their next two, Atlanta would need to lose twice, or it seems like any 3 way tie that doesn't involve Atlanta, Detroit gets in. New Orleans, Carolina, and Atlanta all play each other so there will be losses by some of these teams. There's a good chance two 10-6 teams miss the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The 90's Lions had talent. They didn't have a QB. Imagine if Stafford had Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, and Brett Perriman. The line also wasn't bad with Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown. 

They did, the '94 and '95 teams in particular but they weren't going far with Scott Mitchell as QB.  The '14 team was probably the best all around team the Lions had in the modern era, I think they could have beaten Seattle had the refs not cheated for the Cowboys. 

In all my years as a Lions fan, there are two games that will always haunt me, Favre to Sharpe in '93 and the Dallas loss in '14.  The Ravens Monday Night loss in '13 with Tucker hitting that long field goal was tough to take as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They did, the '94 and '95 teams in particular but they weren't going far with Scott Mitchell as QB.  The '14 team was probably the best all around team the Lions had in the modern era, I think they could have beaten Seattle had the refs not cheated for the Cowboys. 

In all my years as a Lions fan, there are two games that will always haunt me, Favre to Sharpe in '93 and the Dallas loss in '14.  The Ravens Monday Night loss in '13 with Tucker hitting that long field goal was tough to take as well.

The Lions were close to winning that playoff game at Green Bay in 94. If Herman Moore is able to catch that pass inbounds in the back of the end zone late in the 4th quarter, the Lions probably win. If they had stability at the QB position, they probably end up with more home playoff games and probably more than one playoff win. They did make the playoffs 6 times in the 90's with multiple QB's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now