MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bengals

9 hours ago, holygoat said:

Are they? This is the Detroit Lions we're talking about. I mean, I'm not saying I think it's a lock he stays, maybe not even 50/50, but it's a lot better than zero.

Quinn's career rides on who the Lions' coach is over the next two years. Chances that coach is Caldwell:

Absolute Zero.

I mean... not to be obtuse.

But there's just no possible way Quinn continues with Caldwell.

Three seconds after season's end (give or take a minute or so...), Caldwell is fired.

There is NO OTHER POSSIBLE outcome to this season. So I will maintain my "absolute zero" comment on Caldwell's future possibilities as Lion's Head Coach.

it was funny on NFL preview with Michael Irvin he called it. Predicted the lions would lose because the Lions are the Lions.

I saw that too. He was right.

Let’s hope Quinn also saw it.

There is zero chance the Lions get Le'Veon Bell, so lets all stop with that pipe dream.  The Steelers will try to sign him for 2-3 years at $15M per season and, if that fails, will simply franchise him again for 2018.  So, let that dream go, it ain't happening.  Now, the dream of Caldwell being fired?  Keep that one alive.  I've been saying for 4 years that he should be (A) not hired, and (B) fired...so I'll believe it when I see it, but I feel my dream is closer than ever.

On 12/25/2017 at 7:52 PM, pyrotigers said:

I would say a fair base line for 4 years as head coach would be "have more than one good season" and "win a playoff game"

After Sunday the Lions will likely have played exactly .500 over the past three seasons. That should get just about any coach in the league fired.

Right on.  Caldwell is judged on his merits, which are fairly easy to assess - he's had a decent record, but the perforamance is not good enough.  That may in fact be unfair to Caldwell, at least in a purely objective sense (that is, maybe he hasn't been given enough to work with, and/or he has been relatively unlucky).  But 4 years is an eternity in the NFL, more than enough time to evaluate a HC.

Regarding Quinn, it's too early to tell.  However, after 2 more years, it should not be too difficult even for fans to evaluate Quinn.  How does our front line talent and depth match up to other teams?  Are we still mired in the middle-of-the-pack in terms of roster strength and results after the 2019 season?  If so, Quinn will have failed, period, end of report.  And if the Lions preserve HC and FO leaders after a number of years of failure, they will have demonstrated a lack of quality decision-making in the ownership/FO ranks.

To be clear, there's nothing magical about 4 years, however, in the NFL, the best teams have histories of quick turnarounds and/or major improvements.  If you as a owner/FO/HC team cannot get the playing team into contention (as I defined it above) after a 4+ year stretch, you are a failure in my opinion.