AlaskanTigersFan

Kinsler to Angels for 2 Prospects

Just heard other teams were talking to the Tigers but Kinsler nixed the deals before they even got off the ground.... Too bad considering what "might have been" offered.... One has to wonder. Still I'm not too upset with this haul. MUCH better trade than the Cameron Maybin deal....

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

yes, this is a real concern.  I know I have been more negative than usual this winter and that is the primary reason.  I probably won't get really excited about the re-build until I see a decent core of position players.  

I agree.  Tinstaapp.  They are loaded with so called pitching prospects, but how can you compete with the Yankees/Indians/Astros/Angels when you can't hit the ball out of the yard.  Avila is working hard to bring better defense, but that won't keep Judge/Stanton in the yard.

2 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Exactly what the Braves will be doing.

What will they be doing?  They're freaking loaded.  Alcuna.  I wish for just one Alcuna, or a reasonable fax-simile thereof.

FYI off Rotowire:

Montgomery worked his way up to Double-A Mobile last season after starting the season with Low-A Burlington, and he wound up slashing .271/.358/.413 with eight homers and 15 stolen bases across all three levels. The 23-year-old is a well-regarded defender who can play all three outfield positions. He's relatively fast and has above average on-base skills, though his overall hit tool isn't anything overly impressive. He'll likely open the 2018 campaign at Double-A.

By the end of the night — and by the end of the night we’re talking nearly midnight on Wednesday — the Tigers had to settle for a package of two lower-level prospects from the Los Angeles Angels, in exchange for second baseman Ian Kinsler.

“We didn’t break the bank on it, that’s for sure,” Avila said. “But at least we got a couple of young guys who have a chance to develop. If you take it to the trade deadline at this point, unless you’ve got a player they can control for more years, it’s just not there.

“Not with a guy who has a no-trade provision and you have to go through the process again. The chances are more that we get a worse deal than better.”

"I had no leverage,” Avila said. “So now the question is, do you keep him and wait to the next trade deadline? But still has the leverage. Maybe another team opens up, but you are leaving a lot to chance.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/12/13/angels-chasing-tigers-second-baseman-kinsler/108587158/

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I agree.  Tinstaapp.  They are loaded with so called pitching prospects, but how can you compete with the Yankees/Indians/Astros/Angels when you can't hit the ball out of the yard. 

A pitching staff of aces and #2's keeps balls in the yard, speedy outfielders sew up the gaps and an IF with range closes holes.

Easy game for the 90s Braves, maybe that's what we can look forward to?

56 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

By the end of the night — and by the end of the night we’re talking nearly midnight on Wednesday — the Tigers had to settle for a package of two lower-level prospects from the Los Angeles Angels, in exchange for second baseman Ian Kinsler.

“We didn’t break the bank on it, that’s for sure,” Avila said. “But at least we got a couple of young guys who have a chance to develop. If you take it to the trade deadline at this point, unless you’ve got a player they can control for more years, it’s just not there.

“Not with a guy who has a no-trade provision and you have to go through the process again. The chances are more that we get a worse deal than better.”

"I had no leverage,” Avila said. “So now the question is, do you keep him and wait to the next trade deadline? But still has the leverage. Maybe another team opens up, but you are leaving a lot to chance.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/12/13/angels-chasing-tigers-second-baseman-kinsler/108587158/

Avila was giving marching orders to trade Kinsler.  Chris Ilitch wants this payroll as low as possible... for some reason.  Every 100K counts.

35 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

A pitching staff of aces and #2's keeps balls in the yard, speedy outfielders sew up the gaps and an IF with range closes holes.

Easy game for the 90s Braves, maybe that's what we can look forward to?

What are the chances they get a pitching staff of aces like the Braves?  That is a once in a generation thing.

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Wow, that is probably the most optimistic thing you've ever said about the Tigers.  :)  I will be doing the same thing, although right now it's mostly pitchers.  They are really lacking in position players so far.  

i can see what avila is trying to do: increase the tigers' athleticism across the board.  i get it.

i think they were trying to win a championship and paid no attention to the farm system for years.  the attention they did pay didnt net much in return.  i think they drafted poorly.  i dont think the farm system was run well.  i think they waited too long to trade their assets and spent too much capital chasing a title they werent good enough to win.

all that had led to this moment.  they are going to be the worst team in baseball for at least the next two years, maybe more.  hopefully they can find a star in the next two drafts and become the cubs or astros.

i have my doubts, but i will enjoy following the progress of the kids in the minors and hope that avila surprises us.

that being said, i dont expect the tigers to be good for at least five years and i dont expect avila to be around then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Cause it was like $2 general admission seating?

Because there was the remote, outside possibility that as a fan you could be asked to play in the game that you had just paid admission for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

What are the chances they get a pitching staff of aces like the Braves?  That is a once in a generation thing.

The Tigers once had rotations to rival that Braves squad just years back, and after all, this is another generation.

Why not be optimistic about it?

20 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

The Tigers once had rotations to rival that Braves squad just years back, and after all, this is another generation.

Why not be optimistic about it?

I could be optimistic about winning the lottery next year, but that doesn't improve my chances.  It's the same argument I had with you when you said two Tigers infielders would become the next Whitaker and Trammell.  Sure, it's possible, but it's unlikely.  

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

After they trade Miggy, who will be our All Star next year?    A coach? 

Do you all think we will trade Miggy before the start of next season? I would think his salary and length of contract would hurt us from getting much in return, unless we agree to pay a big chunk of his salary.  I think he still has a lot of value to a playoff contending team, but taking on a contract as long as Miggy's is, would likely keep teams from throwing too many assets to get him IMO.

5 minutes ago, belcherboy said:

Do you all think we will trade Miggy before the start of next season? I would think his salary and length of contract would hurt us from getting much in return, unless we agree to pay a big chunk of his salary.  I think he still has a lot of value to a playoff contending team, but taking on a contract as long as Miggy's is, would likely keep teams from throwing too many assets to get him IMO.

no chance.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I could be optimistic about winning the lottery next year, but that doesn't improve my chances.  It's the same argument I had with you when you said two Tigers infielders would become the next Whitaker and Trammell.  Sure, it's possible, but it's unlikely.  

I believe I said "could", Lee.

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

MLB.com has updated our top-30 prospect list after the trade.  Troy Montgomery enters in the 25th spot.

Who does this say more about: Troy Montgomery, or the Tigers' minor league operations?

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

"[A]t least we got a couple of young guys who have a chance to develop" has got to be the weakest endorsement any GM has ever made of a trade they just completed I have ever heard.

"I had no leverage" is by turns an honest assessment of your situation, and a terrible thing to communicate to future trade partners: "Step up, boys, I can be had."

5 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I believe I said "could", Lee.

yeah, I know.  I just like to dream more realistically! I am hoping a couple of their pitchers become good starters. They really need to start adding some top position player prospects soon though.  

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

"[A]t least we got a couple of young guys who have a chance to develop" has got to be the weakest endorsement any GM has ever made of a trade they just completed I have ever heard.

"I had no leverage" is by turns an honest assessment of your situation, and a terrible thing to communicate to future trade partners: "Step up, boys, I can be had."

yeah, I laughed when I saw that.  I do give Avila credit for being honest (it's a quality I admire), but he seems more transparent than most GMs.  Maybe too much.    

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

no chance.  

I don't know that there's no chance.

If the Tigers are dumping salary any way they can, they could pick up a substantial amount of the remaining $184MM going out, enough to make it worth some other team's while, and still save a bunch of dough. After all, if they're not willing to gamble even $12 million on the flyer that Kinsler will net enough good prospects at the deadline to make it worth keeping him, they'll probably take whatever they can save out of the $184 million.

And Miggy is not necessarily Albert Pujols yet. He actually is a pretty good bet for a decent comeback at the plate this year. So if they can't find a taker for Cabrera and, say, $120 million now, maybe they will in July or August.

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, I laughed when I saw that.  I do give Avila credit for being honest (it's a quality I admire), but he seems more transparent than most GMs.  Maybe too much.    

No "maybe" about it. Way, way too much.