AlaskanTigersFan

Kinsler to Angels for 2 Prospects

On 12/20/2017 at 4:47 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Doyle was a starter, but he was more the foreshadow of Dombrowki's fixation with soon to be over the hill relievers. Signed at 36 yrs of age and pretty much washed up after 25 total appearances with the Tigs.

He had 78 total appearances with the Tigers. Are you saying he was washed up after his first 25?  I do agree he was not a top starter and they got lucky with him in 1987.  

I don't know if he qualified as a "top" starter, but Frank Tanana was an excellent pickup who had a number of good years with the Tigers  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

He had 78 total appearances with the Tigers. Are you saying he was washed up after his first 25?  I do agree he was not a top starter and they got lucky with him in 1987.  

I don't know if he qualified as a "top" starter, but Frank Tanana was an excellent pickup who had a number of good years with the Tigers  

well, yeah. He gave us a handful of great starts in '87, but his era after at ASG in 88 was something like 5.5 and his totals in '89 were not good. TBF, looking again, he did start out well in '89, but then ran out of gas, much like in '88. So, I'll grant him 17 more good starts in the 1st half in '89. Call it 45 good appearances.