AlaskanTigersFan

Kinsler to Angels for 2 Prospects

Tigers get back Wilkel Hernandez and Troy Montgomery. Don't know much about them but from what it looks like, these look like two high ceiling players. I'll take that. Angels paying the whole bill.

10 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Tigers get back Wilkel Hernandez and Troy Montgomery. Don't know much about them but from what it looks like, these look like two high ceiling players. I'll take that. Angels paying the whole bill.

Micro says one high ceiling player but that's still reasonable for a guy at 35 who lost 50 pts on his BA last sesason.

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

After they trade Miggy, who will be our All Star next year?    A coach? 

Justin Thompson

5 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Still feels gross. Please be good again, sometime, in the future.

Please.

Not expecting that for at least a decade.     Please sell the team.   Please.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

After they trade Miggy, who will be our All Star next year?    A coach? 

Assuming they trade Fulmer that would actually be a good poll question to start the year.  Miggy would be the odds on favorite especially if Hosmer goes to the NL(one less 1B to worry about) but if he continues to decline who knows. 

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Assuming they trade Fulmer that would actually be a good poll question to start the year.  Miggy would be the odds on favorite especially if Hosmer goes to the NL(one less 1B to worry about) but if he continues to decline who knows. 

Shane Greene , step on up. You can never have too many relievers you aren't gonna use anyways on an all-star roster. 

we had the worst farm system in baseball, did people expect them to be good forever?  

this is the natural cycle of baseball.  now lose for a few years and rebuild.

i look forward to watching the young players develop over the next 3 or 4 years.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

we had the worst farm system in baseball, did people expect them to be good forever?  

i look forward to watching the young players develop over the next 3 or 4 years.

Sounds good but I don't trust Al Al 

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

me too.

Even though 2003 was a disaster It was my fav time as a fan.  Went to 50 games.  Don't ask me why.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Which young players?  Candelario and who else?  Some interesting pitchers coming, and a few should pan out, but our position prospects are either flawed (Stewart, Lugo) or a ways off (Paredes, Cameron).  Pray that a Kris Bryant emerges in the next few drafts.

Hmm, IMHO they may soon go after another possible utility type/2B ex Jace Peterson (previously with Atlanta)... or even in the Rule 5 (ex Dimerette?)

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Micro says one high ceiling player but that's still reasonable for a guy at 35 who lost 50 pts on his BA last sesason.

That is good to hear.  On the other hand, has a team ever acquired a teen pitcher in a deal that wasn't a high ceiling player?  xD

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Hmm, IMHO they may soon go after another possible utility type/2B ex Jace Peterson (previously with Atlanta)... or even in the Rule 5 (ex Dimerette?)

They definitely need another infielder for their roster.  I doubt they want Lugo or Alcantara in the majors just yet.  

16 minutes ago, kgeorge78 said:

me too.

Even though 2003 was a disaster It was my fav time as a fan.  Went to 50 games.  Don't ask me why.

Cause it was like $2 general admission seating?

29 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Wow, that is probably the most optimistic thing you've ever said about the Tigers.  :)  I will be doing the same thing, although right now it's mostly pitchers.  They are really lacking in position players so far.  

36 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Which young players?  Candelario and who else?  Some interesting pitchers coming, and a few should pan out, but our position prospects are either flawed (Stewart, Lugo) or a ways off (Paredes, Cameron).  Pray that a Kris Bryant emerges in the next few drafts.

yes, this is a real concern.  I know I have been more negative than usual this winter and that is the primary reason.  I probably won't get really excited about the re-build until I see a decent core of position players.  

Actually,  when one looks at the relative risk the Angels have assumed with a clearly aging second baseman, this deal does not look that bad. With Kinsler the Tigers were a 98 loss team assuming a lot of breaks. We get a couple of pieces that might mean something in the 2021 season and we will probably look at a real possibility of 3 horrible seasons beginning with 2018.

I am looking forward to watching the team develop. I have no delusions about the next 3 to 5 years. I also look forward to seeing Michado  (sp) playing every day.

• Like 1

The other thing that will be fun is to guess the 25 man roster on February 12 and see how right that prediction  will be.

37 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Wow, that is probably the most optimistic thing you've ever said about the Tigers.  :)  I will be doing the same thing, although right now it's mostly pitchers.  They are really lacking in position players so far.  

I have become resigned. Mainly because of Verlander, I had harbored a hope that they would keep him and Upton and that Avila had the ego to believe he could draft them back into contention on the fly over the next 3 or 4 yrs. But that was never realistic and Al apparently has his belief in his own superpowers firmly in check. What he is trying to do is the right thing, which is the fastest possible turnaround. I'm  not bothered by meager return on these side deals. Again  - wishful thinking to keep hoping for something for nothing.

The main chance is all about the next two drafts - in which we get 2 in the 1st ~31 pick plus this yrs top rule 5 and probably almost as good again next yr. It's gonna be those 4 main guys plus Candelario, Perez, Lugo, Norris, Fulmer (in my view anyway), Jimenez, Long and a couple of the guys already in the system that will either be the turn around or a fail.  4 of those picks need to be better than average MLB players.  But that's the nucleus he is counting on and he hasn't even made the 1st of those 6 primary picks. No-one else we have gotten back matters. They are just the window dressing for the clearing of the decks - if a Hernandez pans out it is just a bonus.

I think Al is taking the straightest path possible - which is about all we can ask for. The million $ question is can he draft well enough to make it work?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I have become resigned. Mainly because of Verlander, I had harbored a hope that they would keep him and Upton and that Avila had the ego to believe he could draft them back into contention on the fly over the next 3 or 4 yrs. But that was never realistic and Al apparently has his belief in his own superpowers firmly in check. What he is trying to do is the right thing, which is the fastest possible turnaround. I'm  not bothered by meager return on these side deals. Again  - wishful thinking to keep hoping for something for nothing.

The main chance is all about the next two drafts - in which we get 2 in the 1st ~31 pick plus this yrs top rule 5 and probably almost as good again next yr. It's gonna be those 4 main guys plus Candelario, Perez, Lugo, Norris, Fulmer (in my view anyway), Jimenez, Long and a couple of the guys already in the system that will either be the turn around or a fail.  4 of those picks need to be better than average MLB players.  But that's the nucleus he is counting on and he hasn't even made the 1st of those 6 primary picks. No-one else we have gotten back matters. They are just the window dressing for the clearing of the decks - if a Hernandez pans out it is just a bonus.

I think Al is taking the straightest path possible - which is about all we can ask for. The million $ question is can he draft well enough to make it work?

Or will the players be in the draft?  Brady Singer doesn’t get me really excited about having the first overall pick—he seems to be similar to Faedo,who we got at 18.  I guess you can stockpile pitchers and flip them later for help elsewhere.