Tenacious D

Trammell and Morris made the HOF!

2 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I've never gone, but I've looked into it many times. From what I've seen, I don't think there's much of a chance of getting a place in cooperstown during induction weekend unless you know someone with a rental house. You could probably get a hotel room there next weekend (ha), but certainly not in late July. It always seemed like the best bet was to find a hotel in a larger town a couple hours a way and drive it. But then where the heck do you park your rental car- I'm sure they gouge you like crazy for parking, if you can even find a spot anywhere in town. 

I've always had the HOF on my bucket list, but it's a 9 hour drive from Detroit with not much else anywhere near it. Not exactly the easiest sell to the family. As much as I've always said I'd go if the 84 guys ever made it, I will more than likely watch on tv. I wish it was in an easier location. 

From Toledo, we hit Niagara Falls on the way out for a night.  Stayed outside of Cooperstown a second night.  Stopped at the in laws on the way back.  It ended up as a 3 night trip.  You could do something like that, although I'm not sure my in laws would allow you to spend the night.  They're right here, I could check with them if you'd like.

2 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I don't think it's really mythology. That's still the best game I've seen a pitcher pitch. Nothing has really come close ever since. There have been great pitching performances in the post season, no doubt. But extra innings, 1-0...it had it all. 

the mythology being he was a great big game pitcher based on that one great game.

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That is exactly how I remembered it. The museum is fun and yes the memorabilia rooms more interesting that the plaque room.  It's a great town too, although it is going to be insanely crowded on induction weekend.  

Its out in the middle of nowhere, but I think it makes it a bit of a better experience than if it were in a big town.  Or I may just be biased because I hate traffic.

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Its out in the middle of nowhere, but I think it makes it a bit of a better experience than if it were in a big town.  Or I may just be biased because I hate traffic.

You are absolutely correct. As Jim would say, “Nice area.”

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I've never gone, but I've looked into it many times. From what I've seen, I don't think there's much of a chance of getting a place in cooperstown during induction weekend unless you know someone with a rental house. You could probably get a hotel room there next weekend (ha), but certainly not in late July. It always seemed like the best bet was to find a hotel in a larger town a couple hours a way and drive it. But then where the heck do you park your rental car- I'm sure they gouge you like crazy for parking, if you can even find a spot anywhere in town. 

I've always had the HOF on my bucket list, but it's a 9 hour drive from Detroit with not much else anywhere near it. Not exactly the easiest sell to the family. As much as I've always said I'd go if the 84 guys ever made it, I will more than likely watch on tv. I wish it was in an easier location. 

The HoF is definitely worth visiting.  I am tempted to go the ceremony, but I expect it to be a big hassle and I might not enjoy it as much as when it's less crowded.   

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

BP made one based on their DRA statistic.  The stat is so insanely complicated with so many moving parts that I don't really know what to make of it.  I wish they didn't put so many variables in it.  It's my experience when you put too many variables in something, it can produce some weird results.  Some really smart people like the stat though.  I still don't think he belongs, but I don't care today.  

I guess a simple one would be that Jack pitched through part of a period that was down for pitching in general - so one thing  you may do is fall back to looking at how he compared to his peers at the position. From that standpoint he was pretty strong representative of his era. Of course if you accept that line of reasoning Freehan should have been a lock - so go figure.

morris was also crap in 87, and 91, and 92.

many other pitchers with similar or better careers had better or just as good post season success and are not in the hof.

Morris was 7-4 in the playoffs.  He was 1-0 when he threw a no hitter.  Those are pretty good numbers, I think.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think the mythology around game 7 against the braves got him in.

The mythology where if Lonnie Smith doesn't make a key baserunning mistake in the 8th that the Braves probably win?

Trammell making the HOF is the single biggest thrill I will have gotten from the Tigers outside of them winning another WS.  I still can't believe it. I went to the Pistons game yesterday and was checking Twitter after 6 but nothing yet. During the exit from the parking structure I got a few texts but obviously didn't read them.  Got home and poured a drink and finally opened up twitter and the first thing I saw was the HOF tweet.  

Not sure what I will do for HOF weekend.  It's our 20th anniversary this year so I suspect we'll have to save up something for that plus our regular family vacation.  Although the wife did say she'd go to Cooperstown for it if I wanted to..... but I don't think so yet.

12 hours ago, FloridaTigers said:

I think the Tigers "only retire if HOF" rule is stupid. I know there's been exceptions, but why not include Lou in the retirement?

Willie Horton's number is on the wall.

I do not really care about the HOF, but it is nice that Tram and Morris got in.  They deserved it for sure.

I care about the HOF like most people on here care about the RBI stat.

I was at the HoF in '99 the weekend Ryan, Brett and Yount were inducted.

My understanding was that was a busy weekend for inductions and I didn't think it was that crowded.  I feel more crowded going to a packed stadium.

FWIW, YMMV.

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Based on past experience (when there no ceremony going on), I think the hardest part is going to be finding a hotel reservation.  You will be lucky to get one in Cooperstown.  

That's why I would think the Tigers would just book a hotel (if this is their plan I have no idea) in somewhere like Erie. Bus in during the day and bus back that night. 

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Based on past experience (when there no ceremony going on), I think the hardest part is going to be finding a hotel reservation.  You will be lucky to get one in Cooperstown.  

Utica is not far 30-45 minutes.  I made the Utica-Cooperstown round trip five times this August when my 12-year-old was playing at Dreams Park.

15 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I calculated JAWS using their WAR and he was up with the likes of Smoltz, etc.  In other words, borderline Hall worthy without factoring in his postseason successes.

Are you sure about JAWS? B-R has him 164th whereas Smoltz is listed at 58th:

JAWS  Starting Pitcher (164th):
    44.1 career WAR / 32.8 7yr-peak WAR / 38.4 JAWS
  Average HOF P (out of 62):
    73.9 career WAR / 50.3 7yr-peak WAR / 62.1 JAWS

In fact, Jack isn't even the highest ranking Morris in JAWS. (Ed Morris ranks 162nd.)

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I do not really care about the HOF, but it is nice that Tram and Morris got in.  They deserved it for sure.

I care about the HOF like most people on here care about the RBI stat.

Do you care about the RBI stat?

Regardless of how you feel about whether Morris deserves to be in the Hall, the way he became emotional during the press conference this morning was very touching.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I stayed in Syracuse and the drive in was fine.

A hotel room in Cooperstown is not an option.

I should note also that there are many houses for weekly rental in the area that cater to the youth baseball stuff that goes on there all summer.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

HaHa.

I think it is without doubt true that a lot of why Jack got in were throwback reasons that have nothing to do with statistical performance  measures at all.

1) he played a long time - baseball has always had a soft spot for guys who keep showing up- even near 40. 

2) 3 WS rings.

3) big years at advanced age without an accusation of PED use.