Tenacious D

Trammell and Morris made the HOF!

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I remember reading that article and then looking up his DRA and seeing that it was significantly lower than what it said in the article.  I think they made some adjustments.  I tried to look it up now but I think you can't see that without BP Premium which I no longer have.  

I calculated JAWS using their WAR and he was up with the likes of Smoltz, etc.  In other words, borderline Hall worthy without factoring in his postseason successes.

48 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Any clue what tickets would cost? If you could even them?

I have no idea if they mean for the HOF ceremony or the Retirement. The HOF I imagine will be somewhat expensive. Bus, hotel room (i imagine the tigers are just gonna book out an entire hotel if they have a HOF package), etc. 

If its the ceremony I would guess something like $60 bucks. Ticket, and some giveaway like a poster or T-shirt. 

This is going to sound ridiculous and improbable, but honest to God, with my wife and kids and in laws as my witness, this is what I was wearing today while completely oblivious to the fact that the vote was to go down today.

image.thumb.png.2ecf99195505e96922afad0418d1a6bc.png

I have to imagine Tram adds a pretty substantial plug for Lou in his speech.  Its just such a shame that they aren't going to go in together.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I have no idea if they mean for the HOF ceremony or the Retirement. The HOF I imagine will be somewhat expensive. Bus, hotel room (i imagine the tigers are just gonna book out an entire hotel if they have a HOF package), etc. 

If its the ceremony I would guess something like $60 bucks. Ticket, and some giveaway like a poster or T-shirt. 

Thanks for the feedback. I would be on cloud 99 if I could be in Cooperstown with these guys going in. Sparky would be so proud of this.

19 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Based on past experience (when there no ceremony going on), I think the hardest part is going to be finding a hotel reservation.  You will be lucky to get one in Cooperstown.  

Just now, Buddha said:

can anyone make an argument for morris?

BP made one based on their DRA statistic.  The stat is so insanely complicated with so many moving parts that I don't really know what to make of it.  I wish they didn't put so many variables in it.  It's my experience when you put too many variables in something, it can produce some weird results.  Some really smart people like the stat though.  I still don't think he belongs, but I don't care today.  

I don't remember as much as I should from visiting the hall of fame.  I remember there was construction/renovation going on.  I remember that a ticket for entry bought at or after a certain time in the afternoon allowed for entry again the next day at no additional cost.  I remember this place called Sal's not far down the road had some good pizza.

I found myself much more interested in the artifacts and displays that were not part of the enshrined members of the hall of fame.  And there was some interesting merchandise browsing around some of the stores around the hall.  Very nice countryside heading into town as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

can anyone make an argument for morris?

Well, he did get voted in.  That's the best I can come up with.

Been to Cooperstown twice. Two breweries very close by, Old Slugger and Ommegang. Visited both. Beautiful town and area.

• Like 1

He started over 500 games in his career, and finished 175 of them.  He was remarkably durable.  His numbers falter because he pitched against tough competition.  He was one of the best pitchers in baseball in the 80's and early 90's.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

can you make an argument for morris?

Morris has contiued to be visible among the MLB fraternity over the years. Lou, not so much. I wonder if that helped him at all at this point.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't remember as much as I should from visiting the hall of fame.  I remember there was construction/renovation going on.  I remember that a ticket for entry bought at or after a certain time in the afternoon allowed for entry again the next day at no additional cost.  I remember this place called Sal's not far down the road had some good pizza.

I found myself much more interested in the artifacts and displays that were not part of the enshrined members of the hall of fame.  And there was some interesting merchandise browsing around some of the stores around the hall.  Very nice countryside heading into town as well.

That is exactly how I remembered it. The museum is fun and yes the memorabilia rooms more interesting that the plaque room.  It's a great town too, although it is going to be insanely crowded on induction weekend.  

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Bill Shea Retweeted Bill Shea

Tigers say they will retire Trammell and Morris' jersey numbers in August. HoF event tickets on sale Dec. 18.

I think the Tigers "only retire if HOF" rule is stupid. I know there's been exceptions, but why not include Lou in the retirement?

1 minute ago, FloridaTigers said:

I think the Tigers "only retire if HOF" rule is stupid. I know there's been exceptions, but why not include Lou in the retirement?

Isn’t this the same organization that fired Ernie Harwell and waited until after Sparky passed to give him his due?

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Based on past experience (when there no ceremony going on), I think the hardest part is going to be finding a hotel reservation.  You will be lucky to get one in Cooperstown.  

I've never gone, but I've looked into it many times. From what I've seen, I don't think there's much of a chance of getting a place in cooperstown during induction weekend unless you know someone with a rental house. You could probably get a hotel room there next weekend (ha), but certainly not in late July. It always seemed like the best bet was to find a hotel in a larger town a couple hours a way and drive it. But then where the heck do you park your rental car- I'm sure they gouge you like crazy for parking, if you can even find a spot anywhere in town. 

I've always had the HOF on my bucket list, but it's a 9 hour drive from Detroit with not much else anywhere near it. Not exactly the easiest sell to the family. As much as I've always said I'd go if the 84 guys ever made it, I will more than likely watch on tv. I wish it was in an easier location. 

10 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Morris has contiued to be visible among the MLB fraternity over the years. Lou, not so much. I wonder if that helped him at all at this point.

i think the mythology around game 7 against the braves got him in.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

i think the mythology around game 7 against the braves got him in.

I don't think it's really mythology. That's still the best game I've seen a pitcher pitch. Nothing has really come close ever since. There have been great pitching performances in the post season, no doubt. But extra innings, 1-0...it had it all.