84 Lives!!!

Who can we trade this year?

Plus the Wings have too much ammo with draft picks to be offering younger talent

Basically AA creates offense in transition, and most of that is when he is sprung up ice with a pass.

Yes, those goals have value, but other than that he delivers relatively little.

Also, neither Mantha nor AA should be considered kids, in an NHL context. They're both 23, both turning 24 this summer.

Mantha has 20 goals and 36 points in 60 games so likely to end up with around 25 goals and 45-50 points on the year. Not bad, not a star. He's played up to his draft level of 1st round #20 overall, but hasn't really exceeded that.

AA has 12 goals and 28 points in 51 games. So let's say he hadn't missed 10 games at the start of the season (his own fault) and then extrapolate to 82 games, he's maybe a 20-goal scorer and 45 points. And I'd agree with Biggs, he's pretty one-dimensional. 

I see little reason to believe that Mantha and AA are or will be much better if at all than Tatar and Nyquist.

The Wings are good at developing solid players.  Unfortunately you make the playoffs when your first two lines are compromised of solid players, and your last two lines are scrappy scrubs.

16 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I think those are the 3 guys I'd build the team around. They should be a line together.

Holy missed assignments in the defensive zone batman!

36 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Holy missed assignments in the defensive zone batman!

The Wings obviously need better defense. As they proved with the Russian 5, many times a good offense helps the defense with puck possession. I think the Wings need to load up on offense.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

The Wings obviously need better defense. As they proved with the Russian 5, many times a good offense helps the defense with puck possession. I think the Wings need to load up on offense.

Well, Fedorov won the Selke a few times, Konstantinov was at his peak, Lavionov was defensively responsible and Fetisov knew how to move the puck and didn't make too many mistakes.

I'd guess that unit was at worst an above average defensive unit without even factoring in puck possession.

My strategy for next season:

- Play Howard 60 games next season or until he breaks down, whichever comes first

- For games when Howard is fatigued or hurt or otherwise unavailable, play without a goalie

- By playing without a goalie, you can play with an extra man,  preferably a 4th forward

- The 4th forward on a line needs to be a young player, even one who otherwise wouldn't make the team.

- Even better if the 4th forward can split centre duties during a shift with another centre. Centers are more valuable than wingers, this is a way to ease new centres in.

- Pulling a goalie with 60 minutes left in regulation will lead to an uptick in goals scored, which pads some offensive numbers of trade bait, but will lead to a significant increase in goals against, which means more losses and a high draft pick

I would like to propose swapping Coreau for Howard in your scenario to maximize the tanking potential.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I would like to propose swapping Coreau for Howard in your scenario to maximize the tanking potential.

Damn, that's why you're going to get paid the big bucks as the next GM of the Wings and I'll be still sitting here on my couch in Vancouver waiting for the phone to ring.

• Like 1

I've been keeping an eye on eliteprospects, and it looks like it will be a deep defensive draft, and some good wingers, and about 3 good goalies.  Not a good draft for centers, which the Wings kind of need.  A top forward that has caught my attention is Filip Zadina, who is playing for Halifax.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236471

Filip Zadina is a dynamic offensive forward that plays a complete game. A deft and agile skater, he exhibits explosive mobility both up and down the ice. In all three zones, he proactively looks to create problems for the opposition. His awareness is indicative of his high level of hockey sense, and he knows how to make plays and scoring chances materialize. Has a goal scorer's toolbox, complete with the individual puck skills that one comes to expect from today's elite offensive players. The accurate release on his shot is noteworthy and is a defining aspect of his offensive capabilities. Defensively sound, he disrupts lanes and pressures the opposition to make hasty decisions; he is tenacious in pursuit of puck control and transitions up-ice naturally. All-in-all, Zadina can be categorized as both a two-way forward with a well-rounded game and a dominant offensive force. (Curtis Joe, EP 2018) 

Mrazek had a nice few games with Philly to start but has been lit up for 18 goals in the past 4 games, including 5 last night vs Pittsburgh.

His record with Philly is 3-3-1 with a 3.08 GAA and an .889 Save %. (was 8-7-3 and 2.89 and .910 with Wings this season)

At this rate, don't see them re-signing him.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Mrazek had a nice few games with Philly to start but has been lit up for 18 goals in the past 4 games, including 5 last night vs Pittsburgh.

His record with Philly is 3-3-1 with a 3.08 GAA and an .889 Save %. (was 8-7-3 and 2.89 and .910 with Wings this season)

At this rate, don't see them re-signing him.

I saw some replays a few nights ago and he looked... bad.

PS: Needs to be a productive offseason. I'd like to see interest and trades revisited for Glendening and Helm, in particular...

Any others we'd like to see moved?

57 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

PS: Needs to be a productive offseason. I'd like to see interest and trades revisited for Glendening and Helm, in particular...

Any others we'd like to see moved?

Honestly I would try to move anyone over the age of 25 if possible.  Nyquist would probably be the easiest to move, skilled and on a fair cap hit (high salary though) that's expiring.  I'm not sure if it would help to wait until the trade deadline to move the expiring deal though...and he also has a NTC.  Unloading Abdelkader and/or Dekeyser's contracts would be heaven.

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Do Glendening and Helm have any trade value?

Glendening apparently drew interest at the deadline (Toronto kept coming up which makes the most sense since Babcock probably has a Glendening poster hanging above his bed), which surprises me with his contract.  I would imagine teams would want the Wings to retain salary on any trade.  But Ken Campbell at THN tweeted out about how valuable Glendening is to the Wings, etc. at the deadline and he has a direct line to Holland so I can't see the Wings trading him.

Helm I imagine would need a lot of salary retained....I don't see his skillset/production being valued at $3.85 million per for another 3 years....you can say this about just about any long term contract on the Wings though.  I wouldn't mind throwing the rights to AA in a deal to get a team to take on a bad contract if possible.

Just now, drownwithyou said:

I wouldn't mind throwing the rights to AA in a deal to get a team to take on a bad contract if possible.

If the Wings follow through on this and Holland's still GM, the bad contract that's traded would be replaced.

Holland needs to make a graceful exit.

10 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

If the Wings follow through on this and Holland's still GM, the bad contract that's traded would be replaced.

Holland needs to make a graceful exit.

They need to Ron Francis him if they want to keep him around.  Ol Ronnie got "promoted" to President of Hockey Operations...but the new GM will report to the Owner not Francis.  So he basically got fired by being moved into a nothing role....basically what they asked Holland to do before Yzerman left and he said no to.  He's messed up enough now that if he says no again then tell him to enjoy Seattle.

The Wings now have the fourth worse record (tied with Ottawa, who has a game in hand) in the NHL, with 10 games to go.  Buffalo and Vancouver are 4 points back and Arizona is 6 points back.  Time to play Coreau every game!

16 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The Wings now have the fourth worse record (tied with Ottawa, who has a game in hand) in the NHL, with 10 games to go.  Buffalo and Vancouver are 4 points back and Arizona is 6 points back.  Time to play Coreau every game!

Coreau is the ultimate tank commander.  If anybody didn't see the game yesterday he gave up a couple hilarious goals (one where he was flailing out of the crease in some weird half butterfly/half pad stack slide and MacKinnon just took the puck around the net, and another where he had the worst angle of all time and somehow gave up the far side on a terrible shooting angle).  They really need to play him every game the rest of the year and just ride this wave of losses to Dahlin.