84 Lives!!!

Who can we trade this year?

6 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

It would be brutal to have Coreau/mediocre FA next season but it will be brutal anyways most likely.

They need to be brutal for a while to fix the Rebuild on the Fly fiasco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

I would be fine with it and probably prefer it to keeping Howard... but if they can get anything for one or both goalies I think they should.  It would be brutal to have Coreau/mediocre FA next season but it will be brutal anyways most likely.

The flipside is that... Mrazek has actually been a really good goalie... at times. 

So if we QO Mrazek, what we are actually doing is purchasing a lottery ticket. He's still young. If the light bulb turns on, it gives us another asset to help in the rebuild. If he flops next year, we just let him walk. Nothing lost by purchasing the lottery ticket. If the light bulb actually does turn on, we can (a) trade him at the deadline for better assets than what we would gain this year, or (b) sign him for a couple years, until he can be replaced by the next generation (making him again, a tradeable asset at some point). 

If he can't gain enough interest this year to get a decent trade return, then, we lose nothing by giving him the QO.

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Something they should have started 2-3 years ago. Kenny needs to trade both goaltenders plus Green, Tatar and Nyquist to see what value he can get for them.

31 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

The flipside is that... Mrazek has actually been a really good goalie... at times. 

So if we QO Mrazek, what we are actually doing is purchasing a lottery ticket. He's still young. If the light bulb turns on, it gives us another asset to help in the rebuild. If he flops next year, we just let him walk. Nothing lost by purchasing the lottery ticket. If the light bulb actually does turn on, we can (a) trade him at the deadline for better assets than what we would gain this year, or (b) sign him for a couple years, until he can be replaced by the next generation (making him again, a tradeable asset at some point). 

If he can't gain enough interest this year to get a decent trade return, then, we lose nothing by giving him the QO.

You'll hear no argument from me in regards to Mrazek and his potential.  I do worry he won't reach it with the current front office/coaching regime (which Mrazek has a part in due to his stubbornness in regards to his training/coaching), but I would rather take the chance he does develop and become more reliable than sit on an aging Howard while out of contention. 

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Yep, they need a high level talent on an entry level deal to help with the cap mismanagement.  It doesn't have to be a brutal full rebuild (which often seems to just lead to a long string of crap seasons, looking at you Arizona and Buffalo) but they put themselves in this corner.

edit: whoops I thought the board would merge these two responses in a row, I thought I recalled that feature...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Something they should have started 2-3 years ago. Kenny needs to trade both goaltenders plus Green, Tatar and Nyquist to see what value he can get for them.

I'd be fine with that if you got some partially-developed prospects for them rather than draft picks. As in, more like Dombrowski's trade deadline moves 2 1/2 years ago. Most draft picks don't turn out to be any good. Give me 10 picks scattered throughout the draft and if you get 1 star, another top 9 forward/top 6 d-man, and one fringe player you'd be doing average.

It'll never happen, but the Kings (who just got Phaneuf) are saying they want to add a scoring winger...I would love to package a Nyquist or Tatar to try to get Kale Clague from them...they would never do that I'm sure though.  It also wouldn't be one of my posts mentioning the Kings without saying I would love to get Martinez from them.

I'd be fine with that if you got some partially-developed prospects for them rather than draft picks.

Not sure what Arizona’s interest is for the return, but thoughts on Max Domi? Seems like he might get traded for a change of scenery sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Not sure what Arizona’s interest is for the return, but thoughts on Max Domi? Seems like he might get traded for a change of scenery sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Domi is about 10 years under Kenny's age limit at 22 years of age. I would take out a flyer on Domi to see if a change of scenery would rehab his career at 22, but Kenny likely would not. Plus, if we follow Kenny's playbook on players like Nyquist and Tatar, Domi would be sent down to Grand Rapids and only brought up once he turns 23 or 24.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Is Mike Green injured?

He took a hit last night with like 7 minutes left and didn't play another shift.  It looked like his shoulder / arm maybe?  His posture was awkward going to the bench.

15 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Leafs and Stars have some interest in Glendening.

Git ‘r dun. 

One down, many to go....

Mrazek to the Flyers for two conditional picks: conditional 4th in 2018 and conditional 3rd in 2019.

thats it?  is it because mrazek isnt any good, goalies arent that valued, or he's not under contract next year?

or all of the above?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

thats it?  is it because mrazek isnt any good, goalies arent that valued, or he's not under contract next year?

or all of the above?

All of the above. Not being under contract under next year and needing to be signed at $4mm to avoid hitting UFA in the summer would seem to be the biggest, IMO.

Ken Holland needs to be fired next Tuesday.     Hey, Dombrowski got fired after a trade deadline and he's actually far better than Holland.   I know,  Mike's gone,  kids don't really care about the team winning or losing. 

Add that none of the Playoff ready teams need a goalie at this point of the year... which speaks to the low trade value of goalies as mentioned above... but that's the reason for the low value.

Except the Flyers, who lost two goalies. But lots of goalies available, only one team in need. Give Holland credit. He got it done. A 4th and 3rd doesn't seem that bad of a haul... conditions probably based on regular and playoff season playing time for Mrazek. Let's hope he gets on a smoking hot run for the Flyers...

Could be better than a 4th rounder: no lower than a 4th, could get up to a 2nd:

DET guaranteed no less than a 4th round for Mrazek. If PHI makes playoffs and Mrazek wins 5 games for PHI in reg season, 4th becomes a 3rd. If PHI advances to CF, and Mrazek wins six playoff games, the 3rd becomes a 2nd. If PHI re-signs him next season, DET gets PHI 3rd in 19.

Now... about that smoking hot run...

It's not a horrible return for Mrazek given his play of the last couple of years and his current market value. But a huge disappointment compared to what I expected of him back in 2016. I thought he'd be every bit as important to the Wings' future as Mantha and even Larkin.

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

It's not a horrible return for Mrazek given his play of the last couple of years and his current market value. But a huge disappointment compared to what I expected of him back in 2016. I thought he'd be every bit as important to the Wings' future as Mantha and even Larkin.

If only... then it would have had to have been Howard moved instead... with Mrazek bridging or being a component of future Red Wings playoff teams...

Se la vie.

Actually... for the past 3-5 years I've been excited to see the next generation come up and help rebuild the Red Wings. It's been mostly fizzle, not sizzle. DeKeyser, Mrazek, Tatar, Nyquist, multiple mid-level forwards and defensemen that didn't cut it, pushed off the roster for nothing in lieu of average-at-best veterans or, basically, lack of enough game to stick. Traded or dumped. Athanasiou and Mantha have disappointed, for the most part. Excitement dissipated pretty quickly and it is well past time for this new direction.

Larkin has shone, and still needs to do more. Mantha & AA have flashed, and are young enough to still have a lot of improvement left. We need Frk and Bertuzzi and younger guys to come up and at least be part of a new core. And we need some star power to be able to get anywhere. Whether that's Cholowski, or this year's or next year's draft picks... others...

Time to go young. As young as Holland will allow (MORE than he will allow... but until he's dumped...); let kids get experience, and sink or swim. Drop off the dead weight salaries (YEARS in the making...), and find some freaking high-end talent to actually get into the playoffs and make some serious noise. 3 years outside guess...?

Mrazek won his first start last night for Philly, 2-1 win with 20 saves I believe?  Philly currently sits in the third wild card spot, 4 points ahead of New Jersey who just made a trade for Grabner (gave up a lot too).  So it'll be interesting on the conditional pick watch.  I imagine him winning 5 regular season games is going to be easy, but Philly making the playoffs could come down to the wire.

GO FLYERS