84 Lives!!!

Who can we trade this year?

I'm ready to trade anyone and everyone over 25 (except Hank... I'm sentimental that way...). Who can we realistically move?

Green? Tatar? Nyquist? Howard? Abdelkader? Should we trade DeKeyser? Is he tradeable? Nielsen? 

I don't think anyone else is even realistically tradeable... So...

Who can we move? And for what? Anyone else on board with cleaning house... right now? Thoughts?

I'd start by offering a package of Holland and Paul Woods, and ask for a 3rd line Zamboni driver. Maybe that's shooting too high, but I'd try.

Green is the most likely since he is putting up points and is on an expiring deal.  I expect right around the return for Smith last season, and even a little less.  I'm not sure if top teams will have a need for PP QB that badly to give up a lot for a guy that needs to be sheltered defensively.

Tatar is intriguing, I was surprised his name was popping up but it makes sense.  Fair long term contract, currently in his prime, puts up fine goal totals and good underlying numbers.  The Wings should trade him if they can, for the future.

Otherwise I can't see many Wings being attractive (outside of the young guys who the Wings shouldn't trade at the moment unless the return is unreal).  Maybe Nyquist as he only has 1 more year on his deal after this, not sure how in demand he is.  Maybe Mrazek if a team needs a backup.  I can't see anyone interested in Howard with his injury history/salary.

I wish they could trade Helm and/or Abdelkader

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

I can't see anyone interested in Howard with his injury history/salary.

Howard has one year left after this at $5.3mm. The way he's playing this year, he'd be a decent pickup for a team if the Wings retained say, $1.5mm of his salary. But I'm certain Holland won't trade him.

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Howard has one year left after this at $5.3mm. The way he's playing this year, he'd be a decent pickup for a team if the Wings retained say, $1.5mm of his salary. But I'm certain Holland won't trade him.

Good point, even Mike Smith got traded in the offseason, so there's a chance!  If it were me Howard's random dip in play this season with his penchant to get hurt would kind of scare me, but teams could do worse things.  Howard's salary is low next season at $4.3 mill so that adds to attractiveness for owners in addition to potential cap retention.  Retaining around 1.5 mill would drag him into the Cam Ward area for cap hits so it is reasonable.  I guess with how they've been unable to trade him over the years I just wrote him off!

The Red Wings are in cap **** and are one of the worst teams in the league.

I'm not a regular hockey observer, but how does Ken Holland still have a job?

56 minutes ago, Buddha said:

The Red Wings are in cap **** and are one of the worst teams in the league.

I'm not a regular hockey observer, but how does Ken Holland still have a job?

the mind boggles doesn't it? the only thing you can point to is that the NHL has the oldest of old boy networks. The NHL keeps and recycles its incompetents like no where else.

Incidentally, while I rarely listen to Vancouver sports talk radio, my friends who do so inform me that this week a few hours per day was spent speculating whether Ken Holland will "come home" to BC (he still has a home in his hometown of Vernon) after this season and become the GM of the Canucks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Incidentally, while I rarely listen to Vancouver sports talk radio, my friends who do so inform me that this week a few hours per day was spent speculating whether Ken Holland will "come home" to BC (he still has a home in his hometown of Vernon) after this season and become the GM of the Canucks.

I believe this was all based off of the Sun article which was just presenting the scenario and Friedman has already kind of shut it down.  It would be great for the Wings but I can't imagine it is more than just speculation at this point.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:15 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would love it if he came home.

Would Bob Cole do the PBP for that moment? 3:50 mark of this video.

13 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Should we hold onto Mrazek and move on from Howard?

That's a scary question BTW...

does it even matter?   by the time they'd be good again, neither guy will be around.   

Not only that, teams should not base long term decisions on a good week or a good month of play.

In any event, it isn't terribly relevant.  Move both if you can.

18 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Should we hold onto Mrazek and move on from Howard?

That's a scary question BTW...

Trade them both I was told Coreau is the future

The Athletic put up a column that Holland has put XO up on the trade block, boy does that make me laugh.  Nobody wants that plug at $1.3 million for another year!

Trade anyone. If you move guys like Mantha or AA, trade them for guys from the 2016 draft rather than future draft picks.

Also entertaining offers on Ouellet and DeKeyser? Great if he can move them and get... anything...

I still think we need to move Howard and QO Mrazek. Doesn't even matter if Mrazek figures it out or not... just go young and let the chips fall where they may.

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I still think we need to move Howard and QO Mrazek. Doesn't even matter if Mrazek figures it out or not... just go young and let the chips fall where they may.

I would be fine with it and probably prefer it to keeping Howard... but if they can get anything for one or both goalies I think they should.  It would be brutal to have Coreau/mediocre FA next season but it will be brutal anyways most likely.