34 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Reyes is a better prospect than Demeritte, and Burdi has a big arm, but he is 25, still unrefined and coming off surgery. Wish they would have purchased another Rule 5 pitcher, though.

I don’t think I would give up anything for the rights to another rule 5 pick. These guys are all prospects that have failed to project as good major leaguers. 

I would rather save the slot money to use in a later trade or to actually sign a guy that has a chance to become something good. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think I would give up anything for the rights to another rule 5 pick. These guys are all prospects that have failed to project as good major leaguers. 

I would rather save the slot money to use in a later trade or to actually sign a guy that has a chance to become something good. 

These days you are restricted on aquiring young talent, the draft and international signings are capped. I don't think the small cost to add another young big arm to the system would affect or prevent any other opportunities. This year they can carry someone who isn't ready, so go for it. A comparable talent on the open market would cost millions.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

Disagree about Burdi.  He's pretty much mlb ready.  After rehab he should dominate. 

Are the twins just completely incompetent then for giving him away for nothing?

32 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Disagree about Burdi.  He's pretty much mlb ready.  After rehab he should dominate. 

Yes, but he's a relief pitcher, the least valuable, most volatile asset, and he does still have some command issues.

58 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

well, looking through MN reporting two things were noted. 

1) Burdi's injury was described as a "full thickness" tear in the ligament - basically as bad as it could be.

2) as rule 5 -when he comes back to active he has to go right to the MLB, which he might not have been ready for (Twin's view) even if he hadn't had the surgery. Twins seemed to think this would scare off prospective drafters - apparently they were wrong.

Still in all, having the 1st pick in the rule 5 is like a 2nd and inches or a play when the D has been flagged for offsides - it's a free shot - whether Burdi or someone else - throw the hail Mary.

Pipeline added Reyes to our top 30, slotting him in at 21.

Jason Beck's writeup:

https://www.mlb.com/news/tigers-select-reyes-in-rule-5-draft/c-263529816?tid=151437456

From BA:

A switch-hitter who is much stronger from the left side (.307 AVG, .769 OPS as LHH, .238 AVG, .588 OPS as RHH in 2017), Reyes brings a discerning eye and a knack for line drive contact as well as speed on the bases. His outfield play is at times spectacular and at others head-scratching, but he is overall considered capable of playing both corners and continually getting better in center field.

"He just keeps raising his level of play to his competition, which is great to see," said J.R. House, Reyes's manager the last two seasons in Arizona’s system, in the AFL. "He has a knack for putting the barrel on the ball. He always ends up having nice numbers offensively. He's a plus defender on the corners, still learning center but I think he'll get better and better the more he gets to play it."

As a potential plus defender with speed and contact skills, the one thing that has consistently prevented Reyes from profiling as an everyday player is his lack of power. Though physical with long levers at 6-foot-3, 170 pounds, Reyes has hit just 12 home runs in six minor league seasons.

He hit four home runs for Jackson last year, and Reyes admitted in the AFL that power is not a focus for him.

Littlefield acknowledged Reyes’ power shortcomings, but said he thinks they can be addressed.

"Strength is the major issue," Littlefield said. "He's a younger guy, kind of a slender build, has a good idea of the strike zone, works the count well, but just needs strength for the most part, and I think that's why obviously he was probably available."

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/tigers-see-victor-reyes-part-outfield-solution/#1791D8V5vHIZUjP0.99

What's the point of signing Martin if you're going to use a roster spot on a Rule V outfielder who can't hit?

Maybe the Tigers have a secret plan to have Jacoby Jones, Martin, and this guy form a no hit outfield platoon

3 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

What's the point of signing Martin if you're going to use a roster spot on a Rule V outfielder who can't hit?

Maybe the Tigers have a secret plan to have Jacoby Jones, Martin, and this guy form a no hit outfield platoon

Jones goes to AAA to revamp his swing, Martin is for this year and see if he can rebuild some value, and Reyes is for the future. Martin has hit (enough), Reyes can hit, just doesn't have power yet, and Jones is athletic and has power, but is running out of time to see if he can make adjustments.

4 hours ago, Longgone said:

Reyes is a better prospect than Demeritte, and Burdi has a big arm, but he is 25, still unrefined and coming off surgery. Wish they would have purchased another Rule 5 pitcher, though.

Phillies selected Burdi and the traded him to the Pirates for $500K in International signing bonus money.

So we coulda had Burdi if we wanted to pony up $550K, or so...

But that's a lot of international money. Would we want Burdi for $550K? Or do we think Avila can find another star +/- for that money signing a young international kid? Tough call either way methinks...

We could also ask ourselves if we would rather have Reyes or that money seeing as we could have just taken Burdi instead and made that trade?

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Jones goes to AAA to revamp his swing, Martin is for this year and see if he can rebuild some value, and Reyes is for the future. Martin has hit (enough), Reyes can hit, just doesn't have power yet, and Jones is athletic and has power, but is running out of time to see if he can make adjustments.

Yeah - They could be thinking that if Martin rebounds he could have deadline deal value. I think it's good strategy for a bad team with roster flexibility to be on the look out for inexpensive rebound guys who have mid-season trade potential. It's one of those low to zero cost strategies you can use when you are going to be out of contention.

43 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Phillies selected Burdi and the traded him to the Pirates for $500K in International signing bonus money.

So we coulda had Burdi if we wanted to pony up $550K, or so...

But that's a lot of international money. Would we want Burdi for $550K? Or do we think Avila can find another star +/- for that money signing a young international kid? Tough call either way methinks...

We don't have any international money left, I think we only had $475k altogether. But, yes, they would love to have a Burdi for $550,000, that's a bargain, but not out of their international allocation.