AlaskanTigersFan

Rule 5 Draft

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Yes I think that we might as well stay up all night Wednesday.  I don't think that I'll be able to sleep anyway.

yes--feels like 1996-2005 all over again

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

But hey, our team owner really gave it a go - I mean  you can't fault him there -  he hired a great GM and spent like crazy - it just never happened.   I don't know that a lot of other cities get an owner that does that for a full decade like we got.    Too bad he's gone.      Who knows what the family does the next year or who the new owner will be in a few years (sorry if I believe the team is for sale, I just do).    We had a few shots. 

Why'd we have to pitch to Nelson Cruz?   WHY????

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Oh it sure does.  Someone was talking about the '96 team a couple of days ago and I started think about one of their key pickups, Brian Williams.  Not a Rule 5, but a huge free agent signing with so much talent that the team couldn't decide on whether he was a 20-game winner or a 40-save closer.  I've got to stop now, I'm hyperventilating.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/willibr01.shtml

On 12/11/2017 at 2:36 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

But hey, our team owner really gave it a go - I mean  you can't fault him there -  he hired a great GM and spent like crazy - it just never happened.   I don't know that a lot of other cities get an owner that does that for a full decade like we got.    Too bad he's gone.      Who knows what the family does the next year or who the new owner will be in a few years (sorry if I believe the team is for sale, I just do).    We had a few shots. 

Why'd we have to pitch to Nelson Cruz?   WHY????

Why did we let Benoit pitch to Papi?

BA has updated look at the draft. Burdi shot up the list. 

2. Nick Burdi, RHP, Twins

If not for the Tommy John surgery that ended his 2017 season in May, it's possible that he would have made it to the majors last year. At the time of the injury, Burdi was 2-0, 0.53 with 20 strikeouts and only 4 walks in 17 innings with Double-A Chattanooga. The 2014 first-round pick made some strides with his control last year before the injury and he's long had a 95-100 mph fastball to go with a usable slider. Burdi's injury means he can begin the 2018 season on the disabled list, and he can be sent to the minors for up to 30 days when he returns on an injury rehab assignment. That could give a team a chance to pick up an excellent arm while only needing to carry him on the active roster for the tail end of the 2018 season. If he doesn't get to 90 days on the 25-man active MLB roster in 2018, he would need to start the 2019 season on the 25-man roster to complete the remainder of his required 90 days. There’s a general expectation that someone will take a chance on an arm this good.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-rule-5-draft-preview-v-1-1/?utm_content=bufferd447a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#7glkWiPoQfWjttF1.97

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-rule-5-draft-preview-v-1-1/#OQGzzxtfkCsTTOdg.99

If the Tiger thinking is like the list of 9 rule 5 candidates, we are in trouble.

Clifton is rated 50 below the best Keller

Burdi is a mixed bag

Stewart is also a mixed bag

Guerrero and Cortes are rated among the best lefthanders available

Pennecost we do not need injury candidate catcher

O'Hearn is middle rated

Demeritte so to many times

Smith is 27 and had injuries

My choices would be the highest rated player and a need of ours, Franmil Perez, Padres, 21 Year old, 25 homers in double A playing only half of schedule.  My second choice would be Stephen Tarpley,  Yankees, LHRP, 2017 record of 7 wins zero loses Low number of walks.  Cortes a Yankee is their 20th rated prospect.  With the quality of the Yankee farm system, I would list more of them.

1 hour ago, irvink said:

It's too bad the science of kinesiology isn't good enough to tell us if guy who throws as hard as Burdi is going to be OK or if he's just going to blow up some other part of his arm from throwing that hard - as per Zumaya for instance..

I have a strong feeling it will be Burdi. I don't know how someone could call him a mixed bag. He's exactly the opposite.  He's a big arm with a high upside. 

8 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I have a strong feeling it will be Burdi. I don't know how someone could call him a mixed bag. He's exactly the opposite.  He's a big arm with a high upside. 

Yeah, the more I read about available candidates, and realistic expectations for rule v picks, the more I like Burdi.

I don't mind the logic behind taking Burdi. There aren't going to be any sure things in the Rule 5, there is a reason everyone there was not protected, so it's taking a flier almost by definition. So you might as well take the shot for the guy with the highest upside and that is probably him.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the highest upside guy in a Rule 5 scenario, especially since all you're giving up is a roster spot. Burdi may very well be that guy, although I'd rather get a position player.

39 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I like the idea of the highest upside guy in a Rule 5 scenario, especially since all you're giving up is a roster spot. Burdi may very well be that guy, although I'd rather get a position player.

Much easier to hide a pitcher. Especially if he has some struggles. 

The point has been beat to death, but they really should draft more than one guy. Release Bell and Ver Hagen.

Martin, V Reyes, F Reyes or Demeritte

Cortes, Tarpley or Burdi

Smith or Keller

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

The point has been beat to death, but they really should draft more than one guy. Release Bell and Ver Hagen.

Martin, V Reyes, F Reyes or Demeritte

Cortes, Tarpley or Burdi

Smith or Keller

Other teams do have the ability to pick guys, first off. It's not like we get first and second pick. Some of those guys are likley to be gone by the time 31 comes around. And one is enough. There is a reason many of these guys never made it past oh Double A. To give one a major league roster spot for an entire year is hard enough, let alone two. 

24 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Other teams do have the ability to pick guys, first off. It's not like we get first and second pick. Some of those guys are likley to be gone by the time 31 comes around. And one is enough. There is a reason many of these guys never made it past oh Double A. To give one a major league roster spot for an entire year is hard enough, let alone two. 

and it would be three if they keep Victor....

/...timm..toomb......TISH!.../

49 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I see little downside to drafting multiple players; if you draft 3, you can keep 3 or 2 or 1 or none; or make a trade to acquire a player and send him to Toledo

30 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and it would be three if they keep Victor....

/...timm..toomb......TISH!.../

Yup.  Give him his final season salary, thank him for his contributions, wish him well in his future endeavors.  There's no just place on this team for a 39 year old DH only with declining skills.

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I see little downside to drafting multiple players; if you draft 3, you can keep 3 or 2 or 1 or none; or make a trade to acquire a player and send him to Toledo

It sounds like Burdi would need to start the season on the DL anyway.  So, while the injury recovery might be a risk, slotting him onto the 25 early in the season is not a tough juggling act.  Timing might coincide well if they can move a pitcher in the middle of the season, or, someone else is on the DL or is moved from the bigs to AAA.  Perusing over the names on the current 40, its hard to imagine there won't be a steady shuttle going north & south on I-75 anyway.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yup.  Give him his final season salary, thank him for his contributions, wish him well in his future endeavors.  There's no just place on this team for a 39 year old DH only with declining skills.

At the moment there isn’t really anyone available to take his spot, though. Someone has to play DH. There isn’t a rush. 

Once a guy like Gerber or Stewart or JaCoby prove that they are deserving of every day MLB at bats, then we can cut victor. But for now I think it’s more important for those guys to develop in AAA. 

I think it will probably be Burdi. But I also wouldn’t mind them opening up one more spot on the 40 man to give them a chance at taking a position player in round 2.

they could also work out a trade with another team picking in the first round and then deal with the 40 man issue when completing the trade. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

At the moment there isn’t really anyone available to take his spot, though. Someone has to play DH. There isn’t a rush. 

Once a guy like Gerber or Stewart or JaCoby prove that they are deserving of every day MLB at bats, then we can cut victor. But for now I think it’s more important for those guys to develop in AAA. 

Why can't they use the DH spot on a day-to-day basis?  Cabrera gets a day or two there a week to help maintain his health.  Castellanos gets a day or two there a week.  You can bounce other guys into there on an as needed basis.

Or, as we've seen at times before, they might at times need that spot for the 13th P since that staff is going to be suspect at best.

I guess I don't see the need to keep a guy that is done, is clearly at the end of his career, and contributes absolutely nothing on the field in any capacity.  Can't hit.  Can't run.  Can't field.  Sounds like a keeper of a position player to me.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think it will probably be Burdi. But I also wouldn’t mind them opening up one more spot on the 40 man to give them a chance at taking a position player in round 2.

they could also work out a trade with another team picking in the first round and then deal with the 40 man issue when completing the trade. 

Yup, there's no reason they cannot carry multiple rule 5s if they have access to more than one that they have in their sights.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Why can't they use the DH spot on a day-to-day basis?  Cabrera gets a day or two there a week to help maintain his health.  Castellanos gets a day or two there a week.  You can bounce other guys into there on an as needed basis.

Or, as we've seen at times before, they might at times need that spot for the 13th P since that staff is going to be suspect at best.

I guess I don't see the need to keep a guy that is done, is clearly at the end of his career, and contributes absolutely nothing on the field in any capacity.  Can't hit.  Can't run.  Can't field.  Sounds like a keeper of a position player to me.

You still need to fill out a roster. He’s just a placeholder. We all know the eight position  players (assuming kinsler is traded). Who is on your five man bench if the DH spot is opened up?

hicks is one. I’m having a hard time figuring out the other four. 

I don’t care if they cut victor  I just don’t think it’s a necessary move right now.