AlaskanTigersFan

Rule 5 Draft

I’ll bet we end up with two spots by the time of the draft.  A report says we’re working hard to move Kinsler prior to free up one spot.  Under that scenario, we could expect players in return that don’t need to be protected.

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Is there a limit to how many they can take?     Take 5 guys if you can.   It's not that risky when your team is as desperate as the Tigers.  

They'd also have to keep all 5 guys on the big league roster all year (subject to DL time, as with Burdi)

2 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

They'd also have to keep all 5 guys on the big league roster all year (subject to DL time, as with Burdi)

So what?   Why not?   Gonna be one of the 5 worst teams in baseball.      I fully expect Victor Martinez to be out for the season before Spring Training is over.   If they do trade Kinsler (seems like they will), there's a roster spot.    There are a lot of guys on their roster that I really don't care about losing to keep a potentially good Rule 5 guy.         

Does anyone the get impression that Christin Stewart is Steven Moya 2.0 ?    

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So what?   Why not?   Gonna be one of the 5 worst teams in baseball.      I fully expect Victor Martinez to be out for the season before Spring Training is over.   If they do trade Kinsler (seems like they will), there's a roster spot.    There are a lot of guys on their roster that I really don't care about losing to keep a potentially good Rule 5 guy.         

Did Moya ever perform like STewart? 

and sure, you could take the rule 5 guys, but the point is they aren't likely to be much different than the guys we are already carrying in those spots. Not sure anyone is an easy dump for anyone available. Plus you don't have to carry those guys on the active roster. I'd be ok to trade Kinsler and cut VMart though. edit - meant to add though that Kinsler may bring back a player who requires a 40 man spot

55 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Did Moya ever perform like STewart? 

and sure, you could take the rule 5 guys, but the point is they aren't likely to be much different than the guys we are already carrying in those spots. Not sure anyone is an easy dump for anyone available. Plus you don't have to carry those guys on the active roster. I'd be ok to trade Kinsler and cut VMart though. edit - meant to add though that Kinsler may bring back a player who requires a 40 man spot

Good point about a possible Kinsler trade.  I think a lot of us have assumed that a spot on the 40would open up, but that isn’t necessarily a given.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think he is more Marcus Thames/ Craig Monroe.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So what?   Why not? 

The overwhelming majority of Rule 5 players never amount to anything more than a bench player, and that is if you are lucky.

8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Get me Smith and Ciufio

I don't think they'll select a catcher, I think they like John Hicks.

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Or a left handed version of either.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The overwhelming majority of Rule 5 players never amount to anything more than a bench player, and that is if you are lucky.

Stop killing our hopes and dreams.

not a huge fan of Sickles, but this Yankees list shows how insane their system is.

to me guys like Cortes and Tarpley clearly offer more potential than Chad Bell or Drew VerHagen  or Victor Alcantara or the rest of the trash at  the bottom of the Tigers 40 man roster

also, I wonder if Kinsler makes sense for the Yankees? His one year deal means he is not in the way of Torres in 2019, but is a way better option than Wade, Estrada or Torreyes in 2018. If they pick up say $7M, what would Kinsler at $4M be worth to Cashman? At $2M? At $1M?

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/12/8/16754038/new-york-yankees-top-20-prospects-for-2018

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

not a huge fan of Sickles, but this Yankees list shows how insane their system is.

to me guys like Cortes and Tarpley clearly offer more potential than Chad Bell or Drew VerHagen  or Victor Alcantara or the rest of the trash at  the bottom of the Tigers 40 man roster

also, I wonder if Kinsler makes sense for the Yankees? His one year deal means he is not in the way of Torres in 2019, but is a way better option than Wade, Estrada or Torreyes in 2018. If they pick up say $7M, what would Kinsler at $4M be worth to Cashman? At $2M? At $1M?

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/12/8/16754038/new-york-yankees-top-20-prospects-for-2018

I tend to agree with this. They should not go overboard, but - if they have a chance to get at least 1 and maybe 2-3 stronger prospects that what they are protecting, then now is the time to do so... as this year they can get away with the roster spots to do so, then maybe put player(s) back in the minors for seasoning after this season - IF they have to.

17 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Only a major step down in defense from them. Monroe at least faked center for a little bit. It's particularly ugly for him in the field, think Delmon Young on a bad day.

Charles, I read that the Rule 5 draft starts at 6 AM on Thursday.  Does your party start Wednesday night?   

12 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Remember George Bell, Roberto Clemente, and Deivi Cruz...

Cruz kinda gets dumped on by Tiger fans, but he probably would have had a much nicer career but for the bad ankle. He really never had ML quality mobility again at short after he hurt it.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Charles, I read that the Rule 5 draft starts at 6 AM on Thursday.  Does your party start Wednesday night?   

Yes I think that we might as well stay up all night Wednesday.  I don't think that I'll be able to sleep anyway.