AlaskanTigersFan

Rule 5 Draft

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/8164488/mark-appel-spurns-pittsburgh-pirates-stay-stanford - This is the reason I'm not a huge fan of him. When an organization is willing to draft you in the 1st round, and you turn down millions of dollars, that is a fan turn off especially when they try to go over slot. Now, in his defense, it worked out since he was drafted higher by the Astros. I get it, that it was a business choice, and that it was his choice. I just don't like it when he says that's not enough money. That is why I personally think he's a primadonna. Especially now that he sucks. If he was as good as Stephen Strasburg or Max Scherzer, that'd be one thing. All I can say is I have no remorse he's not having that great of a career (again from a fan perspective). I like kids that play the game because they love it. Maybe I've seen For Love of the Game too many times....

Would you consider Verlander a prima donna? He came within a few hours of refusing to sign with the Tigs IIRC. I don't know if you can extrapolate from contract negotiations to a player's personality as a player.

A few other selecreyestions: 
Top of the list: Stephen Tarpley NY Yankees LHRP Look at his 2017 record SO, 7 wins, 0 loses Low number of walks JUST WHAT WE NEED 
Others: Wes Rogers Rockies OF Above ave hitter, huge basestealer, above defense all 3 positions JUST WHAT WE NEED 
Others: Nick Burdi Twins Would go on DL until June SP JUST WHAT WE NEED 
Others: Travis Demeritte Braves IF Power, SO a lot but walks No need now for Tigers 
Others: Ian Miller Seattle OF Above hitting average basestealer Tied for Texas League MVP Excellent glove JUST WHAT WE NEED 
Others: Jose Almonte Diamondbacks RHP three pitches above average 22 years old

Others: Franmil Reyes San Diego OF Power 22 years old Broken hand now 

Burdi, Demeritte, Reyes, Tarpley all seem like interesting guys with upside who we could keep on the roster all season long... Burdi particularly easy with all the DL time. 

Kohl is interesting too, but he's not the prospect he once was. Pentecost has been injured so often /gotten so few ABs, not sure how that could work. 

Appel is toast, and as others have mentioned, we wouldn't have had to waste a rule 5 pick to grab him. Every team had the chance to claim him and none did. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Would you consider Verlander a prima donna? He came within a few hours of refusing to sign with the Tigs IIRC. I don't know if you can extrapolate from contract negotiations to a player's personality as a player.

Yes. But at least he signed and didn't screw over the the team that signed him in the 1st round. (And yes I know the Tigers drafted him and I have no fault with him trying to improve from what the 14th round or what not to being a 1st round pick.... But trying to move from pick 8 or whatever to pick 1 and then sucking, thats just dumb IMO.) I dunno why, but I feel I'd be less harsh on Appel if he was actually performing. I guess him justifying his contract. But when you  hold out for more money, and then suck, then I really got no pity what so ever. Maybe I'm just a tool...

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I certainly wouldn't, but that is me.

Players should negotiate **hard** for their signing bonus.  That is often -> likely the bulk of the money they will make in baseball.

yes, they don't owe anything to the team that drafted them.  It's a business deal.  

3 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Yes. But at least he signed and didn't screw over the the team that signed him in the 1st round. (And yes I know the Tigers drafted him and I have no fault with him trying to improve from what the 14th round or what not to being a 1st round pick.... But trying to move from pick 8 or whatever to pick 1 and then sucking, thats just dumb IMO.) I dunno why, but I feel I'd be less harsh on Appel if he was actually performing. I guess him justifying his contract. But when you  hold out for more money, and then suck, then I really got no pity what so ever. Maybe I'm just a tool...

I’m not sure I’m following how he screwed anyone over. The Astros wanted him at 1-1 in 2012 but he wanted more money than what they were going to offer. They took Correa instead (with buxton going second). The pirates knew when they picked him at 8 that he wasn’t going to sign. Any team that took him at the part of the draft knew he wasn’t going to sign. Taking him was simply a decision to take a similar pick the next year. 

When he was picked 1-1 after his senior year he signed. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I’m not sure I’m following how he screwed anyone over. The Astros wanted him at 1-1 in 2012 but he wanted more money than what they were going to offer. They took Correa instead (with buxton going second). The pirates knew when they picked him at 8 that he wasn’t going to sign. Any team that took him at the part of the draft knew he wasn’t going to sign. Taking him was simply a decision to take a similar pick the next year. 

When he was picked 1-1 after his senior year he signed. 

How does a draftee not signing affect the following year's draft position for the team?

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How does a draftee not signing affect the following year's draft position for the team?

If your top pick doesn't sign, you get a pick the following year. So for not signing Appel, the Pirates got the 9th pick in the 13 draft - Austin Meadows - on top of the  14th pick, based on where they finished in the standings in 12.

12 minutes ago, irvink said:

If your top pick doesn't sign, you get a pick the following year. So for not signing Appel, the Pirates got the 9th pick in the 13 draft - Austin Meadows - on top of the  14th pick, based on where they finished in the standings in 12.

Going off your answer, does that mean they slot an extra (31st) pick in the round for you just behind the slot that you used to pick the draftee you failed to sign last year?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Going off your answer, does that mean they slot an extra (31st) pick in the round for you just behind the slot that you used to pick the draftee you failed to sign last year?

Yes.

If you fail to sign the 8th pick, for example, you would get a pick in the next draft after the team that earned the 8th pick based on record. 

Assuming you were the only team to fail to sign your pick, that would mean you pick 9th. 

Pittsburgh picked twice in the first round the year after they failed to sign Appel. 

Does that hold for all other rounds, too? If a team picks a player with the 14th pick of ninth round and can't sign him, does the team get an extra pick at number 15 of the ninth round the following year?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I believe it only applies to the first few rounds. Pretty sure it doesn’t apply to a ninth round pick 

It's at least the first two rounds, not sure how much farther it goes beyond that.

3 hours ago, irvink said:

It's at least the first two rounds, not sure how much farther it goes beyond that.

Ends there. 

Also important to note the money also carries over. So if you have let's say pick 9 and 14 that's a lot of bonus pool money the next year. If you got a weak draft and a picking 9 or so it might be worth it to draft a guy who you know isn't going to sign. 

This is kind of what some think happened with Aiken and the Astros and that is why/how they had two top five picks in a stronger draft. 

Tony Paul tweeted that the Tigs don't have interest in Burdi because they don't want to carry him for a year on TJ rehab. So I expect he'll be the pick.

I'd take Burdi, it would suck to have to keep him on the roster if he's still recovering but I'd bet he still be better than the most of the junk we'll have in the bullpen.  I think his upside is too much to pass on.