MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Vs Tampa Bay 1pm (est)

ALLEN PARK -- Matthew Stafford didn't break his throwing hand, but there are still concerns about how effective he'll be if he plays Sunday against Tampa Bay.

"He's not out of the woods yet," coach Jim Caldwell said. "We'll kind of see what he can do as the week goes on. It's not like it's some insignificant injury. That's not the case. It's something that we're going to have to look at and deal with here over the course of the week to see where he is. Yeah, he's not out of the woods."

Stafford suffered the injury Sunday when he was stepped on by Terrell Suggs after throwing a fourth-quarter interception against Baltimore. He left the game -- the first time that's happened since Week 8 of 2015 -- and was replaced by Jake Rudock.

He underwent X-rays at M&T Bank Stadium, which were negative for a break. But he was sore after the game, experiencing a burning nerve-type pain in the throwing hand.

A day later, he had three fingers individually taped for a light walk-through back in Allen Park. Those are closed to the media, and it's unclear how much Stafford participated. Detroit returns to practice Wednesday afternoon, and it'll be interesting to see how much Stafford is able to do, and how good he looks doing it.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/jim_caldwell_matthew_stafford_1.html#incart_2box_mlive_homepage_featured_entries

Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter is on the hot seat, and on Wednesday he vowed to go after his next opponent’s most securely employed employee: Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Detroit News writer Geoff Robinson quoted Koetter as saying the Bucs would target Stafford’s injured throwing hand:

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter when asked about going up against Stafford with a hand injury: "We gotta try to get ahold of that hand"

The NFL is a business, and the league likes to promote pro football as family-friendly entertainment. That’s why it feels unseemly to announce that you’re going to try to aggravate an opposing player’s injury.

But violence is part of the game—and as we saw in Week 13, even a banged-up Stafford is miles ahead of backup Jake Rudock; it only makes sense Koetter would rather face the latter than the former.

The reality is that even if Koetter hadn’t said this to the media, he’d certainly say something like it to his players.

http://lionswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/06/tampa-bay-buccaneers-hc-dirk-koetter-ready-to-target-detroit-lions-qb-matthew-stafford-hand-injury/

On 12/6/2017 at 3:45 PM, JAYB said:

No shame in his game. 

That is one of those unwritten rules. You may target the injury of a player, but you don't talk about it publicly. I can imagine Koetter will be getting a fine and/or suspension of some kind if indeed Stafford's hand gets injured during the course of the game.

Injured throwing hand for our QB and no running game. We'll need our special teams to get us a TD and maybe a defensive TD? Awwww....screw it. We'll go 0-4 to end the season, complain about the draft and do it again next fall. What's the point?

35 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Injured throwing hand for our QB and no running game. We'll need our special teams to get us a TD and maybe a defensive TD? Awwww....screw it. We'll go 0-4 to end the season, complain about the draft and do it again next fall. What's the point?

I hope we do lose out the rest of the way. Anything to get Caldwell out of here

• Like 2

People on the radio saying that if they lose this game (and they will) that Caldwell might be fired on Monday. 

Are you kidding me?    Caldwell will be back next year.  Book it.      

He shouldn't be, but he will be.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

People on the radio saying that if they lose this game (and they will) that Caldwell might be fired on Monday. 

Are you kidding me?    Caldwell will be back next year.  Book it.      

He shouldn't be, but he will be.  

Exactly. Always expect the exact opposite of logic when it comes to the Lions.

12 hours ago, number20 said:

Caldwell isn't going anywhere.  I hope they lose for better draft position, please draft a damn pass rusher.

14 hours ago, number20 said:

Like I said, we'll lose out, draft poorly and do it all over next season. With Caldwell. He's not going anywhere, unless he decides to retire? What's a guy got to do to get fired around here?  😊

Is anyone else as apathetic about this game as I am?  I mean, I'll probably still watch, but I just don't really care... there's nothing to play for anymore this year.  I can't even watch hoping to see improvement for next year because they SHOULD be better against all these remaining teams so even if our running game starts going or the defensive line improves we'll have no idea if it's real improvement or just poor opposition.

On a side note... remember that this is the first time in the SuperBowl era that the Lions have swept their division on the road... but what's interesting is there's still a real possibility that they get swept at home!

I will watch just because I enjoy watching football...and even more so since I throttled back on my passion for the team the past year or 2.  

I have this vision of the future...where I am like 70 and will be sitting watching the Lions win the superbowl with my kids and saying 'well I'll be damned'.  

28 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Is anyone else as apathetic about this game as I am?  I mean, I'll probably still watch, but I just don't really care... there's nothing to play for anymore this year.  I can't even watch hoping to see improvement for next year because they SHOULD be better against all these remaining teams so even if our running game starts going or the defensive line improves we'll have no idea if it's real improvement or just poor opposition.

On a side note... remember that this is the first time in the SuperBowl era that the Lions have swept their division on the road... but what's interesting is there's still a real possibility that they get swept at home!

Yes there is. If the lions go 10-6 they potentially could make the playoffs.

I just tinkered with the playoff scenario thing and if we win out the Panthers have to go 1-3 against some pretty crappy teams...so I guess catching them is out....there are some other things that have to happen.

2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Yes they could, but does anything about the team these last few weeks make you think there is any chance they could go into another teams house -- a playoff caliber team mind you -- an win?

I mean there's always a chance, but it would be a fluke upset.  Now... I'll take it because (just like beating Green Bay in Green Bay), it's one less thing I have to listen to [insert commentator here] talk about that the Lions haven't done, but it would take a miracle so large that everyone on the planet would instantly become convinced there were was a God for the Lions to win the SB this year.

So... either:

1. The Lions lose out and show just how bad they are.
  2. They win out, with a chance at a playoff spot until Bionic Rodgers comes and destroys them in Detroit to earn GB a playoff spot and knock out the Lions
  3. The Lions "back in" to the playoffs, lose again, but Martha Ford restates her love for Jim Caldwell and wego through 2018 being much the same team we were this year... running the ball on 1st down straight into the backside of one of our guards.

Of the three, #1 will probably be the least painful to happen and the most likely to promote significant change in the off season.  Logically (aka, not during a game) I can see, understand, and accept this.  Of course, during the game I just can't bring myself to root for them to lose.

3 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I can potentially win the lottery as well.  Actually, there's a probably a better chance that I win the lottery.

Caldwell has to go. No matter what happens. Then bring in the guy who can take this team to the next level. 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:59 AM, azzurri said:

Tampa Bay 27, Detroit 13

With the way we've been passing, I can't see 13 points vs the league's worst pass D but that's just me

With the way we've been passing, I can't see 13 points vs the league's worst pass D but that's just me

Depends on Stafford's hand. 13 is as good as any guess.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1