Motor City Sonics

Blashill Watch (Any Predictions?)

First of all, I don't think it's his fault the team is bad, I think it's Holland's,  but I also don't think it's turning around with him.      But I predicted he could be out as early as the end of this week, and I still think that could happen.    And yes, it should be Holland out of a job (or at least his current job).    

A bad loss to the Jets might well do it.   I know the Jets are having a good season so far, but there are 3 days off after this.      I think if the team wants to keep their coach, they need to probably either win or play great in the next few games, but something like a 6-3 or 4-1 or 5-1 loss would probably do it.      

Darryl Sutter is still out there.    Andy Murray is in the state right now.    I don't think Tony Granato leaves his job.  Bob Hartley is still out there, as is Ted Nolan, who seems to have a knack for pissing people off.   I doubt they bring Todd Nelson up from Grand Rapids.  

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Darryl Sutter is still out there.    Andy Murray is in the state right now.    I don't think Tony Granato leaves his job.  Bob Hartley is still out there, as is Ted Nolan, who seems to have a knack for pissing people off.   I doubt they bring Todd Nelson up from Grand Rapids.  

Not a fan personally of any of these names outside of Nelson to finish out the year or something (especially Sutter and Murray, noooo thank you).  If I were in charge it is probably what I would do unless we think it would mess with the young guys in GR too much.

I don't think Blashill gets fired until the end of the year, either Holland thinks this helps "save" his job (if he's even in jeopardy, Chris you alive out there?) or a new GM wants his guy.  While it isn't Blashill's "fault" the team is this bad, it is Holland's GM work, I also don't think he's a good NHL coach at this point of his career and the team will have a good chance of being better off without him, baring a catastrophic hire.  But I'm guessing this all plays out after the season.  No sense in bringing in anyone more than an interim coach unless you are giving Holland an extension with it so you don't chance giving a bigger contract to a coach and then having a new GM wanting his own vision.  Plus there could be interesting names available post firings this season (McLellan and Trotz come to mind as possibilities just by my uneducated guess).

Paul MacLean could be interesting to bring back to Detroit.  Dave Tippett has been bandied about as someone the Wings have already looked into, although I would prefer MacLean's speed/possession game to Tippett's defensive structure at all costs if I remember their styles correctly.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know Holland endorsed him today.  That means next to nothing.   

TBH, given Holland's lack of ability to evaluate playing talent, his support of Blashill might actually be the biggest strike against Blashill.  One the plus side for Blashill, he can argue he has had poor rosters to work with. But on the other hand, why would we believe Holland doesn't overvalue a poor coach in the same way he repeatedly overvalued poor washed-up players like Todd Bertuzzi (just to pull a name out of many in the bin).

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

TBH, given Holland's lack of ability to evaluate playing talent, his support of Blashill might actually be the biggest strike against Blashill.  One the plus side for Blashill, he can argue he has had poor rosters to work with. But on the other hand, why would we believe Holland doesn't overvalue a poor coach in the same way he repeatedly overvalued poor washed-up players like Todd Bertuzzi (just to pull a name out of many in the bin).

Or pay role players (Abdelkader,  Helm, Glendenning) like star players.................then whine about the salary cap.    Salary Cap's 12 years old now, should have that figured out by now.