Motor City Sonics

Silverdome Memories

The talk I remember was that Henson staying for his senior year was likely to result in him being taken by Houston with the first pick in 2002. But that was over a year away and you never know. I don’t recall whether or not there was talk of him leaving after his junior year. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The talk I remember was that Henson staying for his senior year was likely to result in him being taken by Houston with the first pick in 2002. But that was over a year away and you never know. I don’t recall whether or not there was talk of him leaving after his junior year. 

Weren't he and Terrell linked together--if one went the other was going?

http://a.espncdn.com/melkiper/s/2001/0214/1083825.html

I found this old article from Kiper about the 2001 draft.  I know Henson was eligible for it so I don't know why he didn't list him under the top QBs unless he maybe already declared that he wasn't going to the draft before this was written?  Also check out the 4th QB, that shows how thin that class was.  

Edit: Classic fail on his part having Deuce McCallister and Michael Bennett ahead of TOmlinson.

Wasn’t it March/April when he decided to leave the football program in 2001? It was the same time that Michigan was close to signing pitino. I’m guessing that whenever it was it was too late to enter the NFL draft so I don’t think leaving after his junior year was ever in the cards. Probably because he was still doing the two sport thing there was less urgency to enter the NFL draft. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

http://a.espncdn.com/melkiper/s/2001/0214/1083825.html

I found this old article from Kiper about the 2001 draft.  I know Henson was eligible for it so I don't know why he didn't list him under the top QBs unless he maybe already declared that he wasn't going to the draft before this was written?  Also check out the 4th QB, that shows how thin that class was.  

Edit: Classic fail on his part having Deuce McCallister and Michael Bennett ahead of TOmlinson.

That is a killer collection of talent in the first round.

I can't blame him for loving Deuce, dude really had all the tools even if LT really did seem like a can't miss at TCU.

9 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Ouch.

I’m a former KVC member, too, and was a year ahead of Drew, so I saw a lot of him in high school football and basketball. I remember one basketball game one of our guys gave him a pretty hard foul under the basket and he landed pretty hard on his back and had to leave the game, and for a moment I was very worried about the 1998 Michigan football team. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Wasn’t it March/April when he decided to leave the football program in 2001? It was the same time that Michigan was close to signing pitino. I’m guessing that whenever it was it was too late to enter the NFL draft so I don’t think leaving after his junior year was ever in the cards. Probably because he was still doing the two sport thing there was less urgency to enter the NFL draft. 

That sounds about right.  I know the there were theories that Steinbrenner wanted to do whatever he could to screw Michigan, but that could have easily just been sour grapes.

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

That is a killer collection of talent in the first round.

I can't blame him for loving Deuce, dude really had all the tools even if LT really did seem like a can't miss at TCU.

If you pretend that Henson would've atleast been top 3 QB.  Michigan had a top 3 QB, number 1 WR, top 4 RB and 4 1st round caliber OL.   So stacked!

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

That sounds about right.  I know the there were theories that Steinbrenner wanted to do whatever he could to screw Michigan, but that could have easily just been sour grapes.

And had Juan Gonzalez accepted the trade to the Yankees in return for Soriano and Henson, drew has no reason to leave football for baseball. The 2002 wolverines win the national championship, and the tigers are in better shape as well. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I’m a former KVC member, too, and was a year ahead of Drew, so I saw a lot of him in high school football and basketball. I remember one basketball game one of our guys gave him a pretty hard foul under the basket and he landed pretty hard on his back and had to leave the game, and for a moment I was very worried about the 1998 Michigan football team. 

Henson was the first true rock star athlete from the KVC, I'm pretty sure, so I can imagine that was a cool time to play against him.  

I grew up in Highland and went to Milford, so we didn't necessarily have anything against Hartland.   

Howell was a bigger rival for us in hoops than baseball, but enough of us played both sports that there was atmosphere.  I sure loved playing at their place, though.  Back then those were the best facilities in the KVC by quite a bit.  The old gym at Milford held a lot of memories, but not enough people.  The new fieldhouse was great for the school as some of my friends went back to coach and teach.  

The Brighton uberathlete before Henson was a guy named Ron Hollis, who was Mr. Michigan Baseball my senior year.  Jeter was Mr. Michigan the year after that, so I guess he's the answer to a trivia question.  We had some real baseball wars with Brighton, and they were competitive in hoops.  Football they always seemed good as well.  Michigan turned Hollis into a full-time pitcher, but he had the best lefty stick I've seen at the high school level in person.  Perfect swing, big power, disciplined.  He was a good SS but projected to grow out of it.  Scouts loved his mid-90s heat and 10-6 curve more than his stick, I guess.  He made it to AA in the Dodgers system but decided to go to Med School.  What a quitter. ;) 

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

And had Juan Gonzalez accepted the trade to the Yankees in return for Soriano and Henson, drew has no reason to leave football for baseball. The 2002 wolverines win the national championship, and the tigers are in better shape as well. 

I think had successfully hid those memories behind several layers of Tuaca, Jaegermeister and Benedictine until just now.

13 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I think had successfully hid those memories behind several layers of Tuaca, Jaegermeister and Benedictine until just now.

It’s the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning. 

I was a Belleville guy, only got to see Henson the one time at the Silverdome. They were in our same regional, we both lost but Henson looked great.  We had Cullen Jenkins on our squad who ended up making the pros but still lost to an inferior team that day.   I wish I got to see Henson play baseball though.

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

Pitino wanted a statue if they won a National Championship at Michigan with him as coach....................

Wrestlemania III was my big memory, even though I wasn't a huge wrestling fan.

I also fell in love with the NBA at the Silverdome.  Sometime in the 80's my dad took me and my brother to our first game.  Watched some 7 foot giant named Akeem (At that time) dance around the paint like Baryshnikov.  I was hooked.

I probably decided to never have kids that night too.  My old man hates basketball with a red hot passion.  And there he was taking his two dumb kids to a game he hates.  

Another fun memory was going to a bunch of motorcross events there.  My dad and brother again.  None of us have ever been on a dirt bike, never watched it on TV.  Just went one year and loved it so we kept going.

saw the lions beat the jets in that game where barry broke 2000.  great win even if it meant we were totally ****** with another good young player's career being over.  also saw the charlie batch led lions lose to the viqueens.  a bunch of obnoxious vikings fans were being...obnoxious...and they threw a beer on me.  i think it was bigglesworth.

saw the pistons play there a couple times.  terrible place to watch a basketball game.  like an aircraft carrier. 

saw u2 on tour there.  great show.

saw england play germany in an exhibition game.  the chick in front of me was screaming deutschland duetchland over and over so we did what any good englishman and his american friend would do and chanted:

"two world wars and one world cup...doo dah...doo dah..." over and over.  england lost because theyre england.

later saw russia v sweden in the world cup (england was not invited because they sucked).  russia scored early and all the sweden fans threw their beers from the third deck onto the field.  sweden scored and....well, no one likes russia so no one cared.

Thinking about it, I guess I went to the Silverdome quite a bit until I moved to FL.

A few other memories that stand out:

--The Michigan Panthers were way more fun to watch than the Lions.  I mean, they had Anthony Carter! (and Bobby Herbert).  I was about eight rows up and directly across from AC when he slammed to the turf trying to corral a sideline catch.  Broke some ribs on that one.

--Celtics-Pistons game, maybe in '88?  Ainge went off for 35 and did his best Larry Bird imitation, as Larry was out.  Pistons still won thanks to Zeke's heroics.  Hit a 35' three from the waaaayyyy extended elbow to send it to OT.

--Dr. J's next-to-last game, pretty sure they set an NBA record for attendance that game (broken Dr. J's last game).  We brought in a Folger's coffee can and got in for $5!  All I remember about the game was Barkley being a complete beast on both ends and wondering why Danny Vranes got to play in the NBA.

--Monday Night Football, '81,  I watched the Bears return man win the game on the OT kickoff.  It was an amazing return where he pulled his hamstring while crossing the goal line.  To add insult to injury, my dad "forgot" where we parked and we wandered the parking lot in a snowfall for quite sometime until only a handful of cars were left.

--I met Zeke as a rookie before the game courtside.  He was a funny guy--I even laughed when he told me to lay off the steaks. 

--The Detroit Express even got me in the door.  Maybe it was the free frisbees?  I remember thinking the goal keepers could give Tom Skladany a run for his money, and that was saying something back then.  Damn could that guy punt!

tom-skladany-818x1024.jpg

--I'm pretty sure I only saw the Lions win one game at the Silverdome, but it was against a Denver team they had no right beating ('90?).  What I remember more is the cloud of cigarette smoke that would form a haze in the dome's powerful light system.

I was in marching band in high school over at Plymouth-Canton and so I have lots of fond memories competing in the MCBA (Michigan Competing Band Association) state championship competition. I was in the drumline at Plymouth-Canton. We were Flight 1 (similar to the MHSAA Division 1) champions all four years that I was in band.

Playing at the Silverdome was the pits for those of us in drumline because the acoustics were god awful and the sounds just ricocheted off the dome. Us band folk nicknamed it "The Thunderdome" because the acoustics and reverberation were so awful. Trying to keep in time with the band was a nightmare at times given the reverberation around the dome. Ford Field is a waaaaaaaaaaay better place to play, let me tell you. Much better acoustical quality at Ford Field versus the Silverdome.

In 1999 we did a show called "Thought Crime: Music for an Orrwellian Era" based off of George Orwell's book 1984.

Senior year we did a show based off of the Matrix. I couldn't find our Silverdome show from states online, but found the national performance we did at the old RCA Dome in Indianapolis.

PCEP #1.png

PCEP #2.jpg

PCEP #3.jpg

this is just too funny.

it could also a large problem, because now they have probably made the structure too unstable for workers to go back into it to do whatever needs to be done to finish the job.