RedRamage

Wk 12: Vikings vs. Lions: 12:30

Given the short week, I thought I'd start the thread right away.  

Personally, I think this is going to be a loss.  The Lions have played well enough to beat bad teams the last two weeks, but the Vikings are NOT a bad team.  Unless they come out in MUCH better shape on Thursday I don't see them as getting a win.

Any given Sunday.  One of these days it will apply to the Lions...maybe Thanksgiving is a game we win pretty easily.  It seems to happen to just about every other team at least once a year or so...I have not seen much of it for the Lions so maybe this week is the week.

If I had to bet it I would guess the Lions lose.

How about that for a prediction?  My money line is always what I think will happen...the other stuff is just Lions trauma with a voice.

I heard someone in the media questioning if Tate was used sparingly because they were trying to save him for the Vikings game.  I wonder if Ansah might have been the same thing... that they figured they could probably get a win without him and preferred to rest him for the short week.

20 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I heard someone in the media questioning if Tate was used sparingly because they were trying to save him for the Vikings game.  I wonder if Ansah might have been the same thing... that they figured they could probably get a win without him and preferred to rest him for the short week.

getting anything from ansah would be a big plus.

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Who schedules a game for midday on a weekday?! Everyone I know who lives close to me has school or work

The Lions have played at 12:30 on Thanksgiving every time I can recall watching them on Thanksgiving.

21 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The Lions have played at 12:30 on Thanksgiving every time I can recall watching them on Thanksgiving.

Sorry, I overthrew my receiver.

• Haha 2

I heard someone in the media questioning if Tate was used sparingly because they were trying to save him for the Vikings game. 

I mentioned this in the other thread but the snap counts reported today showed that Tate played 76% of offensive snaps, his most since injuring his shoulder in NO. Maybe Chicago focused on taking him away? Or maybe he was just out of it mentally.

http:// http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/11/snap_counts_lions_defensive_li.html

23 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:
I thought I missed something there.  lol....my bad.

In all seriousness though, as a Canadian I do try to double dip on holidays. Most years we spend Thanksgiving weekend in Seattle. And the fact that I'm self-employed and that my business partner is originally from Texas makes it easy to slip out for a bit on Thursday. Going to school on Thanksgiving in Sarnia growing up even made for a few memories growing up. Watching the Lions blowout of the Steelers in a packed high school library sometime in the early 80s and, on the flipside, walking home from school late in regulation one year only to walk in the door of our home as the Bears were returning the OT kickoff for a touchdown.

18 minutes ago, hardyaf said:

Turkey hole on Turkey Day

Eventually someone was going to say it. Thanks for going first!

Given the short week, I thought I'd start the thread right away.  
Personally, I think this is going to be a loss.  The Lions have played well enough to beat bad teams the last two weeks, but the Vikings are NOT a bad team.  Unless they come out in MUCH better shape on Thursday I don't see them as getting a win.

Just like Coach Belichick! On to Minnesota.

Our run defense was much stouter when we met Minny earlier this season. And the injury to Cook clearly deflated the team.

That said, our OL - on paper at least - is much improved since then and hopefully can hit its stride soon.

I've been able to watch Minnesota's last two games live, and I admit they've been impressive. I assumed they'd lose to the Redskins, and then again to the Rams, and they just keep proving me wrong and winning. And not the ugly win slop we've seen from the Lions – they look pretty sharp, play solid football, and execute very well.

The Viking's defense will make this a tough out. I'm hoping the Turkey Day Intangible lifts the Lions to a win, but I really have no idea which Lions team shows up Thursday. I'm hoping it's the version that beat the Packers, not the Browns

24 minutes ago, number20 said:

Eventually someone was going to say it. Thanks for going first!

I like to bring hard hitting analysis. Did you know Stafford and Clayton Kershaw played on the same baseball team?

1 minute ago, number20 said:

I've been able to watch Minnesota's last two games live, and I admit they've been impressive. I assumed they'd lose to the Redskins, and then again to the Rams, and they just keep proving me wrong and winning. And not the ugly win slop we've seen from the Lions – they look pretty sharp, play solid football, and execute very well.

The Viking's defense will make this a tough out. I'm hoping the Turkey Day Intangible lifts the Lions to a win, but I really have no idea which Lions team shows up Thursday. I'm hoping it's the version that beat the Packers, not the Browns

I'm most worried about our sudden inability to stop the run. Minnesota loves to run the ball. 

17 minutes ago, JAYB said:

For the wildcard if the Lions can't catch Minnesota, doesn't seem we have to much worry about the NFC Central or NFC East. NFC South runnerup likely to be ahead of a 10-win Lions team due to tiebreakers. But 10 wins could be enough to edge out NFC West runnerup either St. Louis or Los Angeles. But I'm still NFC Central title or bust.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I mentioned this in the other thread but the snap counts reported today showed that Tate played 76% of offensive snaps, his most since injuring his shoulder in NO. Maybe Chicago focused on taking him away? Or maybe he was just out of it mentally.

http:// http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/11/snap_counts_lions_defensive_li.html

He was out of it alright...cost me 60.00 bones in my FFL for highest game of the year.  Everyone else on my team blew up and he got me 3 points.  SOB!

For the wildcard if the Lions can't catch Minnesota, doesn't seem we have to much worry about the NFC Central or NFC East. NFC South runnerup likely to be ahead of a 10-win Lions team due to tiebreakers. But 10 wins could be enough to edge out NFC West runnerup either St. Louis or Los Angeles. But I'm still NFC Central title or bust.

Mostly agreed, but it would not surprise me to see Washington run the table and finish 10-6. They are a solid team on both sides of the ball, and they get the Giants twice, and some middling teams including the Chargers, Cardinals, and Broncos. Their [edit: week-after] Thanksgiving game against Dallas is do-or-die for them also.

In any event, I think Seattle is toast.

He was out of it alright...cost me 60.00 bones in my FFL for highest game of the year.  Everyone else on my team blew up and he got me 3 points.  SOB!

Tweet this to him and tell him he owes you 125 yards and two TDs on Thanksgiving. ;-)

8 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Mostly agreed, but it would not surprise me to see Washington run the table and finish 10-6. They are a solid team on both sides of the ball, and they get the Giants twice, and some middling teams including the Chargers, Cardinals, and Broncos. Their Thanksgiving game against Dallas is do-or-die for them also.

In any event, I think Seattle is toast.

If Seattle loses tonight then yes. 

Running the simulator, as of today the Lions don't have much room for error. But alot can happen in the next 6 weeks. 

11 minutes ago, JAYB said:

Running the simulator, as of today the Lions don't have much room for error. But alot can happen in the next 6 weeks. 

If they lose on turkey day, stick a fork in them for the division.

Had to say that just for the pun