Lifeguard

If Miggy Performs well Next year...

So, if Cabrera can post a typical stat line for his career into the all star break, or even at the end of next season, do you think he could present any possibility of being moved? Obviously there’s no conceivable way we could ever move a sizeable portion of his contract and get prospects back, but maybe we could get one or the other if he really breaks back out? It’s tough to say. On one hand maybe the organization wants to keep him so they can retain a face of a the organization who could potentially sell some tickets, but on the other hand it would be nice to just unload him and shed some cash or get some spects. Thoughts?

Lets see, after next season he will have 5 years and 154 million left on the contract and will be 35 years old(will turn 36 the first month of the season in 2019).   Even if he returns to his MVP form I don't see any team willing to touch that amount of money and years at that age.   Even if we paid 75 million of it, even 15/75 isn't exactly a bargain for a DH only in his upper 30s. 

52 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No. Not unless we eat so much of the contract its not worth it. 

I don't know.  A team might get foolishly desperate...............you know, like the Tigers used to get. 

I hope to **** he has a great year and no one wants him because I want him here.  He is a legacy player.  The only one we have left.  He is not going to cripple the organization...even if he starts putting up .270-15-80.

Let Miggy go and get nothing back to save cash for the Ilitch children? I can't think of anything I would want to do less than that.

Yeah, I don’t really see a scenario where Cabrera is traded to simply save on payroll.  On the other hand, if he were to return next season fully healthy and producing at a high rate such that he might be might be seen as an elite hitter again, and able to play 1B, then trading him in return for prospects could be possible. 

A 5 year contract for a guy his age probably doesn’t get much higher than 5/100. So you would have to eat even more money to make it worth it to a team to give up anything. Maybe get it down to 5/80, and he still has to show that he can still mash. 

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

I hope he's traded. I'd love to see him get a ring like JV did. 

miguel-cabrera-marlins.jpg?w=350&h=343&c

Remember that is when he splashed on the scene, homering off Clemens and helping the Marlins and pudge win. 

I don't think Cabrera would ever net a return worth moving him.  If the org is committed to analyitcs and changing their ways, etc. then they should be able to draft and develop dozens of guys that a Cabrera would get you.  At that point you are just saving money and paying him to beat you.   Franchise is stuck with him.  May as well ride it out and milk it for all it's marketing purposes and let him lead the new group to a title in 2021. The hope is he regains elite status, chases 600 HRs, racks up other milestones, and retires as the greatest hitter in Tigers history.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I don't think Cabrera would ever net a return worth moving him.  If the org is committed to analyitcs and changing their ways, etc. then they should be able to draft and develop dozens of guys that a Cabrera would get you.  At that point you are just saving money and paying him to beat you.   Franchise is stuck with him.  May as well ride it out and milk it for all it's marketing purposes and let him lead the new group to a title in 2021. The hope is he regains elite status, chases 600 HRs, racks up other milestones, and retires as the greatest hitter in Tigers history.

That's a hazardous "if", considering the coaching staff and player development guys. Talk is one thing. Actions are another. I don't see a team at all committed to analytics. We'll see. 

• Like 1

It all depends on how much money they would eat. I don’t look at it as paying him to beat you. Any amount owed beyond his level of production is already wasted. You are already throwing that money away by keeping him. 

I don’t really care if he retires as a tiger anymore. 

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

It all depends on how much money they would eat. I don’t look at it as paying him to beat you. Any amount owed beyond his level of production is already wasted. You are already throwing that money away by keeping him. 

I don’t really care if he retires as a tiger anymore. 

I agree this this.  The luster around him is gone for me.  I'm actually concerned that he'll turn into a moody @#$% as he is surrounded by a bunch of young guys and persistent losing.  

Ok, duly noted.  You aren't allowed to bask in any of the glory though. You can't go back.

I'm a fan and I like it when prominent players are on my team.  I still get a kick out of it.  My wife texted me this morning that JV was on the today show.  I didn't care.  When I see Scherzer doing his thing it makes me mad that he's not a Tiger.  Miggy could be the best hitter we'll ever see.

If the Tigers are going to suck *** the next 2-3 years then I want to see Miggy launching bombs... or at least warning track shots to right center and reading Lynn Henning ***** about the ballpark.

We've reached Cecil Fielder 1992-1994 territory.

"Tigers win?"

"No... but Cecil hit 2"

"They suck"

"Yeah but we got Rico Brogna and Sean Bergman coming up.... they're going to be good"

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I agree this this.  The luster around him is gone for me.  I'm actually concerned that he'll turn into a moody @#$% as he is surrounded by a bunch of young guys and persistent losing.  

I don’t agree with this. I still love Cabrera. My only point was that if there was a scenario where Cabrera could be traded for good prospects (obviously assuming eating money), and it makes competitive sense to trade a good present player for good prospects, then I would do it. 

That scenario may never arise. The tigers could become competitive again closer to the end of his deal, and if he’s still playing well enough to get back good prospects, the tigers may no longer be in selling mode. Or he may never become a star type player again, such that he’s basically untradeable even if you ate the money. 

But if he’s got two years left on his deal and he’s hitting well, and the tigers look to be 2-3 years away from contending still, then I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him for something useful. 

Regardless, this is years away. In the immediate future, the tigers will be stuck throwing millions down the drain. 

9 hours ago, Oblong said:

I've forgotten about that a few times too....

how could you forget that yoda is an idiot?

• Like 2

Ok, duly noted.  You aren't allowed to bask in any of the glory though. You can't go back.

I'm a fan and I like it when prominent players are on my team.  I still get a kick out of it.  My wife texted me this morning that JV was on the today show.  I didn't care.  When I see Scherzer doing his thing it makes me mad that he's not a Tiger.  Miggy could be the best hitter we'll ever see.

If the Tigers are going to suck *** the next 2-3 years then I want to see Miggy launching bombs... or at least warning track shots to right center and reading Lynn Henning ***** about the ballpark.

We've reached Cecil Fielder 1992-1994 territory.

"Tigers win?"

"No... but Cecil hit 2"

"They suck"

"Yeah but we got Rico Brogna and Sean Bergman coming up.... they're going to be good"

cant wait to trade miggy for matt drews and the corpse of ruben sierra.

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

cant wait to trade miggy for matt drews and the corpse of ruben sierra.

Sadly, you wouldn't get that kind of a return.  I don't want to dump Miggy to save money or get him off the team, but I wouldn't be upset if he is moved.  That changed for me when they traded JV and went into their September tailspin.  It's a different situation now.  I also worry how he'll handle the next 4-5 years of frustration, and doesn't he deserve better?  Just because he has a World Series ring doesn't mean he will, or should, be pleased with losing for the foreseeable future.  Will he embrace being a mentor to a crappy team?

#freeMiggy

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

Yeah, this.

If Cabrera gets back anywhere close to his old self, then I hope he remains a Tiger.  If he he is going to get hurt every year and struggle to post a .800 OPS then I am not going to enjoy him at all.  

On 11/16/2017 at 3:18 PM, chasfh said:

Let Miggy go and get nothing back to save cash for the Ilitch children? I can't think of anything I would want to do less than that.

Don't go through a bitter man.