Jump to content

MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bears (1pm est)

Recommended Posts

I’m a bit surprised that the commissioner continues to have his job. I’m not convinced that he is anything special when it comes to all the money the league is making. He’s almost universally hated by the players. He hasn’t been able to implement a player discipline process that can go smoothly. Certainly there is another person that could do the job at least as well, but without all of his baggage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jason_R said:

This is why they pay Roger Goodell $40 million a year. To make the hard decisions necessary to keep the game entertaining, growing, and prospering. 

People clamored for instant replay, which is fine, but now they have a command center in NYC that authorizes all of the calls. Well, there are a lot of ways a league could use instant replay, and the NFL has picked just about the most bureaucratic and stifling. 

I disagree... I think a central "command center" makes all the sense in the world, and it's what most of the other sports use as well.  A central center means you can start looking at the replay as soon as the challenge is thrown rather than waiting for the ref to talk to the coach, then get on his mic and make the general announcement, then walk over to the video booth.

I also think the "indisputable" evidence makes the most sense. There are times when I think it's pretty clear what happened even though it can't be seen and I get a little peeved in those situations, BUT, at the same time I think if there isn't clear visual proof, you can't know for 100% sure, and so you should stick with the call on the field.

Now, having said this, I will admit that I don't think the league always follows their rules quite right.  I think too many times calls are made based on less than 100% clear proof.

People clamored for more stringent player discipline, and he has been all over the board....

And he has completely lost control on the anthem stuff....

I'm not going to disagree with you there, but that's way outside of my original comments re: Instant Replay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

That makes no sense and I strongly disagree. The league, any league, should have their players back. The people pay to see the best football players playing a game. They aren't going to see some suit telling players they are suspended for not honoring some song. These players have family and friends who go fight wars for their country and come home to be 2nd class citizens. And the president calls them son of beeches? That commissioner, if he had any balls, would have stood up for what's right and backed up his players. Now on the our regularly scheduled game....😁

We were not discussing the president.  And what about my statement does not make sense?  I disagreed, you tried insulting me, I reiterated my post about not agreeing with you and now we can go round and round about it?  Is this fun for you?  I do not get a kick out of arguing online.  You need to find another person to vent your anger over the subject on because I am now done with the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

We were not discussing the president.  And what about my st...

 

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

That makes no sense and I strongly disagree. The leag...

Guys, we're edging way too close to political discussion here... my fault, I'm the one who brought it up initially.  But I'm also calling a stop to it.  If you want to further the discussion, open a thread in the political forum, but please, let's stop this line of discussion here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedRamage said:

 

Guys, we're edging way too close to political discussion here... my fault, I'm the one who brought it up initially.  But I'm also calling a stop to it.  If you want to further the discussion, open a thread in the political forum, but please, let's stop this line of discussion here.

No problem. 

The Lions will probably try to establish a running game early against the Bears. And on defense, we need to load the box to stop the run. Make the Bears rookie QB try to beat us. This really should be an easy win for the Lions but this team never likes doing things the easy way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports_Freak said:

The Lions will probably try to establish a running game early against the Bears. And on defense, we need to load the box to stop the run. Make the Bears rookie QB try to beat us. This really should be an easy win for the Lions but this team never likes doing things the easy way.

Which would be an idiot move, but yeah, I expect it too.  The Lions will never have an exceedingly great running game, and that's fine.  So don't try to force something that isn't there.

I could carry a tune to save my life, and it bugs me at times cause I really love good music.  But I can't sing... at all.  Still, I can be a very happy, successful person without having a good voice... I don't keep trying to "establish" myself as a singer, I just focus on what I do well.

(Yeah, I know it isn't a perfect analogy... a team does need to have some level of running... can't be totally one dimensional... but my point is to focus first on what you're good at, then sprinkle in runs... don't focus on forcing a run game if it isn't there.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Buddha said:

for business purposes, goodell should have said there will be no protesting during the national anthem

  everyone stands.  if you don't, youre suspended.

but he let it fester and did nothing and then it became a huge story.  jerry jones has a right to be angry with how he handled it.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the **** Goodell did that people hate the owners wanted him to do and he takes the public beating for them. I'm not a huge Goodell fan, but there are exactly  32 people on the planet who have zero ability to say anything negative about his job performance . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Which would be an idiot move, but yeah, I expect it too.  The Lions will never have an exceedingly great running game, and that's fine.  So don't try to force something that isn't there.

I could carry a tune to save my life, and it bugs me at times cause I really love good music.  But I can't sing... at all.  Still, I can be a very happy, successful person without having a good voice... I don't keep trying to "establish" myself as a singer, I just focus on what I do well.

(Yeah, I know it isn't a perfect analogy... a team does need to have some level of running... can't be totally one dimensional... but my point is to focus first on what you're good at, then sprinkle in runs... don't focus on forcing a run game if it isn't there.)

But then we might lose TOP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No problem. 

The Lions will probably try to establish a running game early against the Bears. And on defense, we need to load the box to stop the run. Make the Bears rookie QB try to beat us. This really should be an easy win for the Lions but this team never likes doing things the easy way.

IDK, their DBs are much worse than their DL. I assume we try to spread them out with Jones, Tate, Jones, Golladay,Riddick and Ebron. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nastradamus said:

IDK, their DBs are much worse than their DL. I assume we try to spread them out with Jones, Tate, Jones, Golladay,Riddick and Ebron. 

In the old days, teams used the run to set up the pass. Passing was always more risky. Now it's a pass first league. So yes, it makes sense to throw on mostly every down, to set up the run. But...this is a Lions franchise that has been historically behind the times. I hope very much I'm wrong but I see them running the ball on first down, over and over. We gotta win that time of possession battle, right Shelly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday weather at Soldier Field is forecast to be dry and cold but with a stiff wind. No rain or snow, so hopefully Stafford will be able to chuck it around the field.

Any news on Lang? Would be nice to have all of the expensive pieces of the offseason’s new and improved OL on the field at the same time. Our Robinsons have been getting exposed all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Sunday weather at Soldier Field is forecast to be dry and cold but with a stiff wind. No rain or snow, so hopefully Stafford will be able to chuck it around the field.

Any news on Lang? Would be nice to have all of the expensive pieces of the offseason’s new and improved OL on the field at the same time. Our Robinsons have been getting exposed all season.

Windy in Chicago? I hope we don't refuse possession if there's overtime. 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Windy in Chicago? I hope we don't refuse possession if there's overtime. 😋

If we do, then we should certainly accept any penalty on 3rd down to give them another chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

If we do, then we should certainly accept any penalty on 3rd down to give them another chance.

Who was that coach? Marinelli? Mooch? We sure had some colorful coaches here in Detroit. Now I see them prowling the sidelines as assistants for some pretty good teams. No jinx in Detroit? 😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Who was that coach? Marinelli? Mooch? We sure had some colorful coaches here in Detroit. Now I see them prowling the sidelines as assistants for some pretty good teams. No jinx in Detroit? 😑

That was Marty who did that.  I don't know that it's a jinx, per se.  I think it's more a matter of a questionable front office making coaching decisions.  Especially during the Millen era it looks like a case of grasping at things...

And honestly, you can have the best coach ever, but if the players suck... well... what can you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I would always prefer to have the ball, I think in the right circumstances, with the NFL "new" rule that both teams get a possession (without a TD), you could certainly make a case that taking the wind can be the smart choice. The lions probably don't have the defense for this, but I think Belicheck did this a year or two ago and won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

IDK, their DBs are much worse than their DL. I assume we try to spread them out with Jones, Tate, Jones, Golladay,Riddick and Ebron. 

Even with the Lions awful run offense, Bears DL will likely play to contain – could certainly use Ebron to help win this game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

That makes no sense and I strongly disagree. The league, any league, should have their players back. The people pay to see the best football players playing a game. They aren't going to see some suit telling players they are suspended for not honoring some song. These players have family and friends who go fight wars for their country and come home to be 2nd class citizens. And the president calls them son of beeches? That commissioner, if he had any balls, would have stood up for what's right and backed up his players. Now on the our regularly scheduled game....😁

the nba thought it had an image problem after chris jackson sat for the anthem.  the nba passed a rule that said everyone should stand for the anthem.  the nba thought it had an image problem when allen iverson had cornrows and tattoos and wore gold chains on the bench.  so the nba said all players had to dress professionally on the sideline.  and they did.  

and the world didnt end.  and the players still play.  and people still watch.

once kapernick decided to wear pigs on his socks and his protests went on and on, it became a big thing.  if goodell had said at the time that all players must stand and respect the anthem or face suspension, they would do it.

theyre employees.  if you dont like the working conditions, find another job.

goodell has been a complete joke as commissioner.  every decision he's made has backfired and resulted in bad publicity for the league.

i dont understand how he still has the job other than the dysfunction of the owners and the inertia against trying something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

All the **** Goodell did that people hate the owners wanted him to do and he takes the public beating for them. I'm not a huge Goodell fan, but there are exactly  32 people on the planet who have zero ability to say anything negative about his job performance . 

Jerry Jones disagrees with the 32 people claim, but the larger point that Roger works for the owners is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I’m a bit surprised that the commissioner continues to have his job. I’m not convinced that he is anything special when it comes to all the money the league is making. He’s almost universally hated by the players. He hasn’t been able to implement a player discipline process that can go smoothly. Certainly there is another person that could do the job at least as well, but without all of his baggage. 

they could easily find someone else to do a better job.  goodell's qualifications were that his daddy was a rich senator.

this has to be a power play within the league.  jerry jones wants goodell out so certain owners will do whatever it takes to keep goodell in, just to **** jerry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Jerry Jones disagrees with the 32 people claim, but the larger point that Roger works for the owners is correct.

sure, but the board of directors of a company can replace the ceo even though he technically "works for them."  he is given powers to act and has acted poorly.  thus, he can be removed.

the owners dont care that they get criticism as much as they care that their product is taking a public relations beating and parts of their fan base are actively angry over the activities of the players on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Of course the owners can fire the commissioner.  Not sure if anyone suggested that they could not.

im not sure what nastros point is that the owners cant disagree with goodell's job performance solely because they gave him the power to do the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×