MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bears (1pm est)

2 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

To me (minus the VERY rare exception) the running game is tied directly with the offensive line.  I always thought the O line was the more important part of a great running game.  The RB is secondary.

Dallas without Elliot argues that it might be the RB

4 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

My guess it's a probably a little of both... you need an OL to open holes but you also need a RB with the right vision and skills.  You can be decent with just one or the other, but to be truly good you need both.

Even last night against one of the better teams in the NFL, Dallas still got 112 yards on the ground, 91 coming from Morris.  The Lions got 65 yards, with Riddick leading the way with 35 yards.

Which brings up a side question: Should Riddick be getting more carries? He Got 13 more yards than Abdullah did yesterday, and he did it on 2 fewer carries.  I wouldn't be against seeing some more out of Riddick as a runner.

My guess it's a probably a little of both... you need an OL to open holes but you also need a RB with the right vision and skills.  You can be decent with just one or the other, but to be truly good you need both.
Even last night against one of the better teams in the NFL, Dallas still got 112 yards on the ground, 91 coming from Morris.  The Lions got 65 yards, with Riddick leading the way with 35 yards.
Which brings up a side question: Should Riddick be getting more carries? He Got 13 more yards than Abdullah did yesterday, and he did it on 2 fewer carries.  I wouldn't be against seeing some more out of Riddick as a runner.

Riddick is a change of pace and third-down back. Abdullah is a change of pace back and kick returner. There is no reason they should both be on a well-conceived roster. Sadly, our roster is not well-conceived. Neither of them should be getting any more carries than they already are.

I do look at the trade of Ajayi for a fourth-round pick and Adrian Peterson for a sixth-round pick and wonder why, if they were available, the Lions did not go for them in a season when Rodgers is injured and the team has literally been inches away from two losses being wins.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

If Alfred Morris had the attempts Elliot has had so far Morris would have more yards....if you parse it out.

10 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

They lost Leary then Smith, that's what everyone forgets. When they had them both, a terrible player went for 1000 yards the year behind them(DMC). Valenti made the comparison to Minnesota tho. Averaging 3.7 ypc with Mckinnon and Murray, 2 respectable rotation type backs. 5.4 ypc with Dalvin Cook. Its a little of everything I think but our OL is probably good enough to not be embarrassing as a run game, doesn't seem like our RBs are though. 

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Riddick is a change of pace and third-down back. Abdullah is a change of pace back and kick returner. There is no reason they should both be on a well-conceived roster. Sadly, our roster is not well-conceived. Neither of them should be getting any more carries than they already are.

I do look at the trade of Ajayi for a fourth-round pick and Adrian Peterson for a sixth-round pick and wonder why, if they were available, the Lions did not go for them in a season when Rodgers is injured and the team has literally been inches away from two losses being wins.

I think they want a RB rotation like the Pats. 4 guys with varying skillsets. No one player missed too terribly if they're out with injury and all that. I don't know if having Abdullah and Riddick both is terrible or anything, but Zenner and Washington haven't been Lewis and Gilislee more so IMO. 

I also am very shocked they got neither BLount, Peterson or Ajayi. They all had risks and everything, but Quinn seems like he values situational football and at the very least would not want to be god awful in short yardage scenarios. Especially given his focus on the red zone this offseason. 

The good news is, it should be a relatively easy fix if they decide next offseason is the time to fix it. If they don't do so then, then I guess its clear they're willing to just put all their resources in the other aspects of the game and hope they can live with one bad weakness?

On 11/20/2017 at 12:29 PM, ROMAD1 said:

I want a Jordan Howard.  I realize Bob Quinn is probably going to build via D but crap...I thought you couldn't run the ball in the NFL anymore.   Apparently it is possible.

5th round pick.

I liked Jordan Howard ever since I saw him torch Michigan a few years ago.  I remember when the Bears drafted him I was upset cause I had a strong feeling that he would come back to bite us.