Jump to content

MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bears (1pm est)

Recommended Posts

The Bears are coming off of a lose to the Packers. With the Lions coming of a home win vs the Browns. The Bears had looked slightly better than expected to start the season but have struggled lately as more injuries have mounted. Losing Zach Miller for the season and possible his career has really hurt them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bears got hosed last week against the Packers. Didn't watch any of the game so I don't know if they would have won or not, but that touchback was a brutal call from looking at the highlights. NFL loves themselves some Packers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hardyaf said:

Bears got hosed last week against the Packers. Didn't watch any of the game so I don't know if they would have won or not, but that touchback was a brutal call from looking at the highlights. NFL loves themselves some Packers. 

Hmm, I saw the replay of that play and it seemed like the right call to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who don't know about the Bear's challenge.

 

Quote

Chicago was down 10-3 when it drove to the Green Bay 22 midway through the second quarter. On third-and-13 from the 25, Trubisky passed to Bennie Cunningham on a screen play, and the fifth-year running back cut outside before making a lunging try for the end zone on a cold, rainy day at Soldier Field.

Cunningham was ruled out at the 2 and the Bears challenged the call.

“Every indication that we had was that he scored and if anything he would be at the 1 or inside the 1 instead of I think they spotted the ball originally at the 3,” Fox said.

Instead, the replay showed the ball coming out of Cunningham’s hands before it hit the pylon, and the fumble into the end zone resulted in a touchback for Green Bay.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/bears-botch-replay-challenge-lose-to-the-packers-111217

Here is the video

http://www.businessinsider.com/bears-touchdown-challenge-review-touchback-packers-2017-11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its a necessary rule, lest players just start fumbling out of the end zone whenever they get close to the goal line

bears didnt get hosed on that call, it was the correct call.  bears got a gift earlier on td pass that should have been incomplete.

let us always remember: the bears and their fans are scum who deserve no breaks.  ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If an offensive player fumbles while stretching for a TD, and the ball is not recovered by a member of his own team or the opposing team, but goes out of bounds in the end zone, I see no reason why the offensive team shouldn’t keep possession, with the ball placed on the one yard line.

As is, the rule makes one of the most exciting plays - a dash to the end zone - potentially punishable by the severest penalty in football: loss of possession, not to mention the effective removal of points from the board. Makes no sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

If an offensive player fumbles while stretching for a TD, and the ball is not recovered by a member of his own team or the opposing team, but goes out of bounds in the end zone, I see no reason why the offensive team shouldn’t keep possession, with the ball placed on the one yard line.

As is, the rule makes one of the most exciting plays - a dash to the end zone - potentially punishable by the severest penalty in football: loss of possession, not to mention the effective removal of points from the board. Makes no sense.

I think Buddha explained it well above. A fumble shouldn't be a good thing for a team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game, much like the Browns game, is the kind the Lions traditionally frustrate us fans with. I can't allow myself to look ahead to any other games. If they want to be taken seriously, you simply must beat the Bears. 

I did remark to my son during the Browns game that at least in the NFL the margin of victory doesn't really matter. People aren't voting on who they think is better. I don't care if it's a 1-point IT squeeker .. Just win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If an offensive player fumbles while stretching for a TD, and the ball is not recovered by a member of his own team or the opposing team, but goes out of bounds in the end zone, I see no reason why the offensive team shouldn’t keep possession, with the ball placed on the one yard line.

As is, the rule makes one of the most exciting plays - a dash to the end zone - potentially punishable by the severest penalty in football: loss of possession, not to mention the effective removal of points from the board. Makes no sense.

Nah. Hang on to the ball near the most important spot on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nah. Hang on to the ball near the most important spot on the field. 

Disagree. This is yet another example of the NFL rulemakers going overboard. They won’t be satisfied until they control every play and every outcome. Then Mike Pereira will tell us why the more deserving team won, and we’ll nod our heads and say, “The more deserving team won.”
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the rule either, if you fumble at say the 40 and it goes out of bounds at the 38 your opponent doesn't get the ball there,  so why should the rules suddenly change at the most important part of the field?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't like the rule either, if you fumble at say the 40 and it goes out of bounds at the 38 your opponent doesn't get the ball there,  so why should the rules suddenly change at the most important part of the field?   

Because the end zone isn’t like the 38?

Why is this even a debate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Buddha said:

its a necessary rule, lest players just start fumbling out of the end zone whenever they get close to the goal line

bears didnt get hosed on that call, it was the correct call.  bears got a gift earlier on td pass that should have been incomplete.

let us always remember: the bears and their fans are scum who deserve no breaks.  ever.

It was also against the Bears where we got the Calvin Johnson no catch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

I think Buddha explained it well above. A fumble shouldn't be a good thing for a team. 

So a fumble out at the 1 is ok but if it travels another yard, it's not?

Tthe rule makes no sense.  If a player fumbles and it goes out at the 1 yard line then the offense keeps the ball so it's not about just penalizing a fumble, it's about penalizing a fumble that specifically goes out of the end zone.  It's selective penalizing, always thought that was an odd rule.  If they fumble out of the end zone, it should be placed at the 1 IMO. The ball should only go to the opposition if the opposition actually possesses the fumble.

Regardless, the Bears didn't get "hosed".  It was the right call by the book just like the dumb 10 second run off that probably cost the Lions a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If an offensive player fumbles while stretching for a TD, and the ball is not recovered by a member of his own team or the opposing team, but goes out of bounds in the end zone, I see no reason why the offensive team shouldn’t keep possession, with the ball placed on the one yard line.

As is, the rule makes one of the most exciting plays - a dash to the end zone - potentially punishable by the severest penalty in football: loss of possession, not to mention the effective removal of points from the board. Makes no sense.

I agree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you dont want players getting close to the goal line and then "fumbling" the ball out of the end zone to get a score.  you want to make the team cross the goal line with the ball.  thats the reason for the rule, i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buddha said:

you dont want players getting close to the goal line and then "fumbling" the ball out of the end zone to get a score.  you want to make the team cross the goal line with the ball.  thats the reason for the rule, i think.

They wouldn't get the score and if a player intentionally fumbles the ball that close to the end zone HOPING the other team does not recover it to get a TD (even though they would NOT get a TD, but the ball at the 1) then that player is an utter moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that play is still not even CLOSE to what happened to CJ in the Seattle game a couple years ago where he fumbled RIGHT at the goal line and then a Chancellor punched the ball out of the end zone effectively losing the game for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you dont want players getting close to the goal line and then "fumbling" the ball out of the end zone to get a score.  you want to make the team cross the goal line with the ball.  thats the reason for the rule, i think.

But why should the opposition get the ball if they didn't actually recover it?  That's where the rule hits a gray area for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The call was bogus. Multiple people have posted analysis showing there was no way to call it a fumble into the pylon. Here is probably the best one:

 

Remember, there had to be irrefutable evidence to rule this, because it was not called a touchback on the field. He was called short of the goal-line. Even still, the evidence is pretty clear he is short of the goal-line.

 

Also, the rule itself is stupid, but I can see the argument both ways. That's just an opinion thing. The fact that the call was wrong is not an opinion thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ball was pretty clearly out of his hands when it hit the pylon.  even cunningham admitted it after the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buddha said:

ball was pretty clearly out of his hands when it hit the pylon.  even cunningham admitted it after the game.

 

Agreed. It's also clear he touched the ball while he was out of bounds as well. Which happened first, meaning the play is dead.

 

Edit: Your comment is like posting a still of golden tate in the endzone vs falcons and saying it was clear Tate had the ball in the endzone. Which is true. It's also true his knee touched before he crossed the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hardyaf said:

The call was bogus. Multiple people have posted analysis showing there was no way to call it a fumble into the pylon. Here is probably the best one:

 

Remember, there had to be irrefutable evidence to rule this, because it was not called a touchback on the field. He was called short of the goal-line. Even still, the evidence is pretty clear he is short of the goal-line.

So is the argument he is making that the bears player fumbles the ball, but he then touches out of bounds and makes contact with the ball before the ball hit the pylon? Perhaps. He spends way too much time in that video taking about how he is touching the ball well before there is any issue about touching the ball or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×