Jason_R

Jerry Jones Crusades to Save the NFL

http:// https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/12/jerry-jones-roger-goodell-new-contract

This attempt by Jerry Jones to blow up Roger Goodell’s contract extension is the most consequential thing happening in the NFL today.

Jones appears to think that Goodell has gotten out of control with respect to player discipline (including his own star RB), and lost control of the league’s brand with the anthem controversy.

Is Goodell on his way out? I would not bet against Jerry.

Seems totally absurd for the commish to make 50 million a year and have those life-time benefits. I mean for God's sake, the President of the United States doesn't even make 500k

On 11/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, Jason_R said:

Goodell wants $50 million a year, plus access to a private plane and health insurance for his family for life.

http:// https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/11/12/16639956/roger-goodell-50-million-salary-plane-insurance-nfl

I've heard a couple radio heads saying that this isn't true.  Hard to say for sure, but this seems pretty ridiculous.  It wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be "leaked" misinformation.  Given that he HAS to know he's under fire and given that ratings ARE down and there is, at least one, outspoken owner who is very against him right now, I find it hard to believe that he'd ask for the sun, moon, and stars when he's already pretty much getting the sun.

I'm really not much of a Goodell fan myself, but I have an even lower opinion of Jones and I can't believe that this wasn't spurred on, at in some part, because Elliot was suspended.

I’m sure it’s leaked info, the question is who leaked it. Probably someone on Jerry Jones’s payroll, but maybe there is a faction in the NFL HQ that has a problem with Goodell.

I was interested to see this piece earlier: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-accuses-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-of-damaging-the-league-1510789249

It was pretty surprising to see the other owners circle the wagons against one of their own - WHO JUST GOT INDUCTED INTO THE HOF.

This drama is more interesting than Thursday Night Football!

Who is or isn't the commissioner of the NFL really does not interest me at all.  It is like all the pregame stuff...just give me the games on Sunday.  Sorry Jason_R, not slamming you, but it is just like all the other news in the NFL...I just do not give a rats *** anymore.

Who is or isn't the commissioner of the NFL really does not interest me at all.  It is like all the pregame stuff...just give me the games on Sunday.  Sorry Jason_R, not slamming you, but it is just like all the other news in the NFL...I just do not give a rats *** anymore.

No offense taken. :-)

But it interests the heck out of me. Mostly because the most SOL thing ever would be for the Lions finally to get to a place where they can contend for a Super Bowl, and the NFL folds!

Today we have some owners threatening to sue other owners, the league’s ratings declining, franchises ditching cities where they’ve been for decades to raid the coffers of new cities, and players quitting early for health reasons and to protest the league and social issues. The whole edifice is shaky, and its weakness is spreading out to national politics. I just find it fascinating on so many levels.

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

No offense taken. :-)

But it interests the heck out of me. Mostly because the most SOL thing ever would be for the Lions finally to get to a place where they can contend for a Super Bowl, and the NFL folds!

Today we have some owners threatening to sue other owners, the league’s ratings declining, franchises ditching cities where they’ve been for decades to raid the coffers of new cities, and players quitting early for health reasons and to protest the league and social issues. The whole edifice is shaky, and its weakness is spreading out to national politics. I just find it fascinating on so many levels.

And all the former players suing the NFL. And all the tragedies from concussions. I could see a day when football ends because of this. A rich man's toy.

40 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And all the former players suing the NFL. And all the tragedies from concussions. I could see a day when football ends because of this. A rich man's toy.

NFFL* coming 'round the corner to a stadium near you...

*National Flag Football League

On 11/16/2017 at 9:35 AM, John_Brian_K said:

It interests me only in the sense of how it will impact the game.  Would a different commish be able to better handle the PR issues, which would help the league do better which would help maintain the game?  

I do think that football, as we know it, will change.  But I also wouldn't be shocked to see football, as we know it, gone in a handful of decades.  The fact of the matter is that football is a physical, violent sport and that will never go away.  Even if you change it to flag football, there's there very large people running at each other very fast and there are going to be violent collisions.

If the NFL were to attack this problem rather than react to it, it might help the league immensely.

51 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

It interests me only in the sense of how it will impact the game.  Would a different commish be able to better handle the PR issues, which would help the league do better which would help maintain the game?  

I do think that football, as we know it, will change.  But I also wouldn't be shocked to see football, as we know it, gone in a handful of decades.  The fact of the matter is that football is a physical, violent sport and that will never go away.  Even if you change it to flag football, there's there very large people running at each other very fast and there are going to be violent collisions.

If the NFL were to attack this problem rather than react to it, it might help the league immensely.

Eliminate the missile hit...institute rugby style tacking....get rid of the battle helmets, done.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21441056/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-bitter-battle-saw-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said [to Goodell]. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

Also, this article, which paints a picture of rampant infighting between NFL owners, may put Bob McNair's recent comments in new light.

A day after Outside the Lines reported that, in an owners-only meeting in New York, Texans owner Bob McNair said, "We can't have the inmates running the prison," McNair released a statement insisting that he was referring to league executives as inmates, not the players, drawing skepticism. According to sources, McNair asked Goodell to publicly back him up. Goodell refused.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

But I also wouldn't be shocked to see football, as we know it, gone in a handful of decades.

The most SOL thing ever... the NFL folds with the Lions being the only team that never won a Super Bowl.

28 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The most SOL thing ever... the NFL folds with the Lions being the only team that never won a Super Bowl.

...with the Lions making the NFC Championship game the year before and only missing a Super Bowl appearance because of an obscure, stupid rule that wipes away a TD at the end of the game.

Interesting that they reached out to Adam Silver. Not shocked he declined.

Adam Silver already has an NBA owner’s head on a pike. That is a power he has over NBA owners that would be very hard for him to come by in the NFL. Plus, there are four or five times as many players in the NFL than in the NBA, so labor relations are likely much simpler where Silver currently sits.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:10 PM, Deleterious said:

Interesting that they reached out to Adam Silver. Not shocked he declined.

Because tagging an NBA league official to run your non-basketball league has worked so well in the past...