mickeyb105

Andre Drummond--keep him or trade him?

Should the Pistons sell high on Andre Drummond?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pistons sell high on Andre Drummond to shed salary/team build?

• Yes
    • No

Who is going to trade for him? League is going small. Any team targeting a big man will likely wait until Cousins is UFA this summer.

24 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Who is going to trade for him? League is going small. Any team targeting a big man will likely wait until Cousins is UFA this summer.

There are a front offices out there with a "No Boogie" policy.  

But yeah, it is tough to say what the market is for him. 

They are 8-3, nobody is going anywhere for the time being.

Of course if the right deal came along then of course you consider dealing anybody off this roster but what's the right deal?  I don't know.

I would shop him.  I know things are going well right but I also think the ceiling of this team is limited and this might be the best time to take a chance.  It is not like we have to trade him if the market is soft. 

7 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I think the market for Drummond is larger than you think if teams believe he has his free throw woos worked out.  There are only a handful of teams that are title threats and most teams are going to be willing to take a chance with a guy like Drummond to see if it helps them take the next step.   

I would have dumped Andre this past offseason. I wouldn't dump him right now,  but he's certainly not untouchable. Wonder who would come for him. Boogie and Asik?

Its all fluid.  I wouldn't dump him if he's playing well.  Maybe there are several factors combining that have helped him improve from last season to this?  The offseason surgery, a different offseason structure, maybe some maturity?

If he has turned the corner, then his salary isn't as much of an albatross, and the Pistons are getting a return of talent for the contract.

I'm not so worried about the league going small if the rest of the roster can handle things.  If Drummond can do the damage on the boards without needing to be a focal point of the offense, I think they can compete.  If they can defend the wings adequately enough and limit extra chances and run outs, they can compete.

I guess it depends upon what they would expect to get out of a trade for Drummond.

In no sport is the regular and post season so dramatically different than the NBA.  

I would love to see Drummond in some more playoff games before deciding if he should go or not.  The regular season isn't a great measuring stick.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, Deleterious said:

I think the return would be disappointing/underwhelming.  

and you can't sell for that 

Funny how things can change so much in less than a year.  Just out of curiosity, where does Drummond sit in the realm of top centers in the league right now.  This would include guys like Embiid, Jokic, Towns, Whiteside, Cousins, Porzingis (a center on most teams even though the Knicks technically list him at forward), and I am going to throw Kanter, Gobert, and Gasol (even though he is a lot older than the others) in there as well.   Does Drummond belong in the conversation with these guys right now (looking at it just from a basketball standpoint and not taking into consideration salary or age)?

Think of the best centers of the league and the teams they are on.

Think of the contenders this year, or even years past.

How many teams are on both lists?

18 hours ago, Hart said:

Funny how things can change so much in less than a year.  Just out of curiosity, where does Drummond sit in the realm of top centers in the league right now.  This would include guys like Embiid, Jokic, Towns, Whiteside, Cousins, Porzingis (a center on most teams even though the Knicks technically list him at forward), and I am going to throw Kanter, Gobert, and Gasol (even though he is a lot older than the others) in there as well.   Does Drummond belong in the conversation with these guys right now (looking at it just from a basketball standpoint and not taking into consideration salary or age)?

all of those guys other than gobert have a better offensive game than drummond.  drummond brings you rebounding.  

i would take drummond over whiteside and kanter for sure.  gasol (i assume you mean marc?) would be better in short term but is too old to deal for drummond.

embiid, towns, and porzingis over drummond for sure.  i dont know enough about jokic to say.  cousins is a wildcard because he is crazy, but his talent alone puts him over drummond to me.

i'd take gobert because he's french.

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Think of the best centers of the league and the teams they are on.

Think of the contenders this year, or even years past.

How many teams are on both lists?

Lebron, GS, San Antonio, and OKC.  That is about in recent years.  If you think don't want to count Duncan and SA because GS is leading a revolution,  then you are down to Lebron, OKC, and GS.  I don't think that is enough evidence that centers as leaders of championship teams are going to be a thing of the past going forward.  Every sport has it's cyclical trends.  I could easily see some of these centers leading championship teams in the next decade.  

18 minutes ago, Hart said:

Lebron, GS, San Antonio, and OKC.  That is about in recent years.  If you think don't want to count Duncan and SA because GS is leading a revolution,  then you are down to Lebron, OKC, and GS.  I don't think that is enough evidence that centers as leaders of championship teams are going to be a thing of the past going forward.  Every sport has it's cyclical trends.  I could easily see some of these centers leading championship teams in the next decade.  

Shaq would be my answer, not Duncan.  While its true the Spurs won it after the Lakers, Duncan is about the 3rd best player on the team then and only making $10M a year that year.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2017 at 6:16 PM, Hart said:

Every sport has it's cyclical trends.  I could easily see some of these centers leading championship teams in the next decade.  

I think it's more than cyclical trends though - It's also rules changes. Now if you assume that rules changes are likely to go back toward a stricter no-zone regime in some cycle then sure, but that is a less obviously likely 'cycle' than just the normal cycle of better and worse players at certain positions. I don't think there is any question that zone D makes it more difficult for a center to dominate a game and 3 point shooting make is much less important that he does. Neither of those change unless the rules do.

47 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think it's more than cyclical trends though - It's also rules changes. Now if you assume that rules changes are likely to go back toward a stricter no-zone regime in some cycle then sure, but that is a less obviously likely 'cycle' than just the normal cycle of better and worse players at certain positions. I don't think there is any question that zone D makes it more difficult for a center to dominate a game and 3 point shooting make is much less important that he does. Neither of those change unless the rules do.

I hate the zone defense in the NBA, but I'm not so sure Silver has any incentive to 86 it ATM.  With the bumper crop of bigs coming to the '18 draft, I wonder if that will be a catalyst down the road to force his hand?