Motor City Sonics

Hollywood attempts to change history

I'm just gonna rant here because even though I am one of those bleeding-heart liberals I am getting totally annoyed by political correctness (Larry David in trouble for concentration camp jokes on SNL.........he's a comedian........he trades in offensive humor............he's jewish and knows holocaust survivors...............get over it).  

I am in the radio biz and have been for 30 years.  Only part time now, but I did my time earlier in life (and still pay for it today).      I knew a couple of people that worked on the music side of the movie business, specifically a couple people that pick songs and secure the rights to use them in films and t.v. shows.     My closest personal connection to the movie business was that I got to be an extra on an episode of Homicide:Life On The Street  (the episode with Neil Patrick Harris as a drug dealer........LOL).   I sat in a bar drinking fake alcohol with a friend for several hours.   You can't see us at all in the episode.   They paid us $75 for our time.     With just that little bit of connection to Hollywood, I knew what a creep Harvey Weinstein was.   It's not like it's a secret.    Why do you think with Seth McFarlane dropped his bomb when announcing Oscar nominees.........the press laughed their asses off.........Emma Stone looked EXTREMELY uncomfortable......probably because, as her career was still starting out, she didn't want to **** him off.    Because everybody knew. 

Another example is a show called Difficult People taking repeated shots at Kevin Spacey............because everyone knew.

So now extreme measures are being made to compensate.  House Of Cards is on hiatus and may not come back (I think they will continue the show).   They may include a small amount of Kevin Spacey only to kill off his character, which is the only way they'll be able to pull off dumping him entirely from the show, he's too central a character to exist in it's universe and not be present in some way.   This is probably going to require a lot of what's already been shot to be re-shot.   That's expensive.   The actors and crew will not do this for free.      There is a movie directed by Ridley Scott called All The Money In The World,  Kevin Spacey plays J. Paul Getty.............they are re-shooting all the scenes with Kevin Spacey using Christopher Plummer in the role (even though he's 29 years older than Spacey).  This movie is coming out NEXT MONTH !       Next thing you know they will digitally replace Spacey with Kirk Cameron in future re-issues of Se7en.     Are they going to digitally replace Kevin Spacey's head with John Cusack's for American Beauty?   It seemed okay for the Oscars to award Kev best actor and that movie as best picture when it was a 42 year old man lusting over a 16 year old girl  (isn't that ironic)............wonder what Kevin was thinking when he was trying to get into THAT character's mind..........ewww.  

The producers of the movie Wind River, which is about a young Indian girl who was raped, bought back their movie from The Weistein Company and erased Harvey & Bob's names from it.    They didn't have a problem with his absolutely legendary well-known behavior (not just sexual harassment but extreme bullying) when they needed his money.    And isn't that ironic too, a movie about a girl being raped.    

They knew who these people were and they were just fine with it as long as the public didn't know.    This type of behavior to me doesn't fix the problem, it only implicates everyone else as co-conspirators.    Are the Oscars going to take back the awards these men have won?     

Does anybody here think this makes things better?     How about not allowing future Kevin Spaceys and Harvey Weinsteins to get away with it?       I'm still gonna watch movies with Kevin Spacey if they are good movies.  Not my fault you let a perv on your set.   

We all knew Hollywood was a cesspool, just like Wall Street and television evangelists and Fox News..................and believe me, the radio business.............the stuff I have heard people say to women........I should have reported it to HR or the GM, but often it was the GM making the remarks...........I didn't and I was wrong.   I was scared to lose my job or even career (everyone talks to each other in that biz).     Can't make up for all this disgusting behavior overnight.   How about acting like the women you deal with are your sisters, would you let someone talk to your sister or mom like that?  There you go, there's your blueprint.      

I could go all day about the entertainment industry.  It is FULL of these stories.  How about the 2 Coreys and what they had to deal with as the hot young new actors back in the late 80's early 90's (Corey Haim was like an idol of mine as a kid, I was pretty bummed out when I found out he died and even considered detouring on my fishing trip to go see his grave...he reminded me so much of my brother who I also looked up to).  I cringe to think what all the super popular people in show biz had to do to get their shot...once they get that shot and a movie is successful they take off and get role after role.  This is their dream, their life their EVERYTHING...to make it big...do we think it is random or just an accident when it happens?  I cannot imagine what they do or give up for that ONE shot to try and make it.

Hollywood tries to write and rewrite history in a lot of things.  These cover ups are just part of it.

What the people in the industry have to go through to get their shot...I cannot even imagine, but I would guess just about ALL of them had to do something they either were super uncomfortable doing or regretted doing.

When I think about it too much I feel dirty for supporting the industry, but it is literally all of entertainment I feel does this to some extent.  If you know a movie stars name there is a good chance that person has done something for you to know them that the average person would cringe about if they knew.

Just throwing this out there.... is it fair, based on the info we know now or that's been alleged, to lump Weinstein and Spacey into the same category?

To me there's a difference between harassment and assault.  Linking the two, I believe, lessens the impact of assault, which is a violent thing.  Someone grabbing my butt or rubbing my leg is different than throwing me down doing stuff while I"m fighting them off.

Maybe I missed some Spacey allegations.

this is not meant to lower what Spacey has done but rather to keep what Weinstein has done at it's proper level.  To keep the two intertwined lets Harvey off the hook a bit I think.  What he's alleged to have done goes beyond harassment.

I suspect that this sort of thing has been going on since the early days of entertainment, like back to traveling actors' troupes.  They used young boys dressed as women during Shakespeare's day.  No telling what went on there relative to those boys. Acting really wasn't considered something that women should be doing, not a well respected profession.  So those who broke in to the professional were viewed not much more than a prostitute.   As the centuries passed, perhaps a certain veneer was put on it but the inside culture that had been passed down remained largely intact.  

Just a guess on my part.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Is 'Hollywood' acting any different than Penn State?

I don't think so.  Or Baylor, for that matter.

And it isn't just Hollywood.

I have said it before.  If I was a lawyer, I would stand outside the better restaurants in your area and hand your card to female employees.  I bet over 90% of them have legit sexual harassment cases.  

• Haha 1

At the risk of being crude, throughout history a percentage of men have used their power for *****.  Whether through overt force or coercion, I'd suggest it has been a relative constant.  What has changed are our standards as a society.  I don't think it is an industry specific thing or a cultural thing or a regional thing or a religious thing. 

6 minutes ago, Melody said:

That is bothersome how many of them actually reported the assault but nothing was done. 

People in power get the benefit of the doubt.

And if those people in power make an entity a lot of money, that entity will circle the wagons to protect their rainmaker.  It is predictable, frankly.

I suspect that this sort of thing has been going on since the early days of entertainment, like back to traveling actors' troupes.  They used young boys dressed as women during Shakespeare's day.  No telling what went on there relative to those boys. Acting really wasn't considered something that women should be doing, not a well respected profession.  So those who broke in to the professional were viewed not much more than a prostitute.   As the centuries passed, perhaps a certain veneer was put on it but the inside culture that had been passed down remained largely intact.  
Just a guess on my part.

I’ve been hearing stories of “casting couches” since I was old enough to watch old movies on tv.

This popped up on my twitter feed last week. One of my early crushes (after Miss Janie and Shirley Temple)

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

At the risk of being crude, throughout history a percentage of men have used their power for *****.  Whether through overt force or coercion, I'd suggest it has been a relative constant.  What has changed are our standards as a society.  I don't think it is an industry specific thing or a cultural thing or a regional thing or a religious thing. 

Men have evolved to have primal instincts when it comes to procreation, and will often let the worm between their legs control their actions when a particular situation arises.  The more power and wealth a man gets, the likelihood his purple helmet will override higher brain functions increases.

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

And it isn't just Hollywood.

Correct.  It's en vogue to point out Hollywood at the moment though.

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Correct.  It's en vogue to point out Hollywood at the moment though.

I think things like this happen everywhere of course, but I think there are multiple factors that make it worse in California than anywhere else.  One is shear population.  And the next is the Desperate woman trying to make name of herself in Hollywood with the billionaire man in the position of power over that decision.

As a former radio guy I know it was pretty perverse in the 70s at least. My girlfriend (now my wife) was a reporter, news anchor at a smaller market station. The evening jock was fairly young and full of himself. One of the preoccupations of the business then was to try to break up the newsperson while they were on the air.

One time he walked into the booth during a newscast, unzipped and placed it on the desk. One of the stories had a sound bite, she hit the cart, turned off the mike and hit the body part squarely with her fist......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I’ve been hearing stories of “casting couches” since I was old enough to watch old movies on tv.

This popped up on my twitter feed last week. One of my early crushes (after Miss Janie and Shirley Temple)

I always liked her movies, and this just makes me like her more.    After I saw this, I googled her and found this awesome article.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/oscars/11210734/Maureen-OHara-I-wasnt-going-to-play-the-*****.html

Edit:  dang it.  I guess you have to manually type in part of that name.  As in ***** of Babylon.

15 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I think things like this happen everywhere of course, but I think there are multiple factors that make it worse in California than anywhere else.  One is shear population.  And the next is the Desperate woman trying to make name of herself in Hollywood with the billionaire man in the position of power over that decision.

The reason Hollywood is worse is because the difference between making it as a star and not is millions of dollars.  More money / more fame means more willingness to put up with ****.  Another contributing factor is early in an actresses career, the differences in box office appeal relative to the next best option are small, making standing up to a director or producer very risky.

MCS said it best..

How about acting like the women you deal with are your sisters, would you let someone talk to your sister or mom like that?  There you go, there's your blueprint.“

And let’s just acknowledge that it’s everywhere.

that scene in Bowfinger where Heather Graham shows up and announces "This is Hollywood's most powerful Lesbian" is how this happens.  There are plenty of actors/actresses who are more than willing to climb the ladder.   just as there are plenty of athletes willing to use PED

9 hours ago, Oblong said:

Just throwing this out there.... is it fair, based on the info we know now or that's been alleged, to lump Weinstein and Spacey into the same category?

To me there's a difference between harassment and assault.  Linking the two, I believe, lessens the impact of assault, which is a violent thing.  Someone grabbing my butt or rubbing my leg is different than throwing me down doing stuff while I"m fighting them off.

Maybe I missed some Spacey allegations.

this is not meant to lower what Spacey has done but rather to keep what Weinstein has done at it's proper level.  To keep the two intertwined lets Harvey off the hook a bit I think.  What he's alleged to have done goes beyond harassment.

I think harassment and assault are part of the same problem. There's no doubt that rape is worse than groping, and groping is worse than a crude verbal proposition. But it's all bad, all a subset of the same disrespectful, misogynistic behavior.

I think all of us know by now that it's all about power, not sex or love or lust. When was the last time you heard of a man sexually harassing his female boss?

And as biggs said, the more money there is, the more naked and blunt the imposition of this kind of power. There are a few industries that operate in the mega-billions where we could guess this kind of thing goes on. Wall Street, for sure. Government, natch. Fortune 500 business. Real estate. Tech.

And the entertainment industry, of course. Radio, like MCS and CMRivdog said. Television. Publishing. Music. Broadway. Hollywood.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Hollywood is the worst because not only are there billions of dollars flying around, but it also attracts the most vulnerable people trying to make it big in the industry: children. Especially children with parents who would do anything—anything—to make their kid the family meal ticket. Whatever it takes. Is it any wonder so many child actors end up going off the rails once they enter adulthood? 

There's a guy at Nickelodeon I've been hearing more about lately: Dan Schneider. He's been producing a boatload of those shows over there for years and years. Lots of stories about him and certain actors like Amanda Bynes, Jamie Lynn Spears, a few others I'd never heard of. Real stomach-turning ****. Sounds like this might be the next big thing to blow up.

I don't think people are going to be snickering at the term "casting couch" for much longer.