RJBBREZ

UM B-Ball 17-18

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

izzo is a great coach.  hall of fame coach.

my problem is the idea that he's the only coach in america who gets 5* players and doesnt cheat.  same with duke.  you think those guys turn down $250k from kentucky to go to duke or msu?  no sir, they do not.

valenti blew a gasket today crying over sparty's loss. 

I do enjoy a good valenti response after an MSU loss. Although I think he acts a bit overly critical so people can’t call him biased. 

In this case, he’s right, though. MSU’s collection of talent that they have right now is amazing, and Izzo has failed in making it work. 

Of course he couldn’t help but try to equate it to Harbaugh and how he is telling it like is, unlike Michigan fans with Harbaugh who won’t admit that Harbaugh is failing.

Oh well. 

I wish the team that played tonight showed up in Nebraska earlier. Great shooting performance, but Purdue’s was even better. It’s tough to guard Frankenstein at the rim.

Michigan can hang with anyone in the country. 

Up 5 with MAAR at the line for two shots and 18 seconds left. We’re now in OT.

Never in doubt!

Rutgers hanging around with Purdue half-way through the 2nd half though......

Blew the doors off Maryland today. Looks like another classic John Beilein team coming together down the stretch. Really great Big 10 season all around, that early big lead blown to OSU was bad, and the Northwestern game was pretty bad, but otherwise they lost to Purdue twice in basically one possession games, and Nebraska on the road, while beating MSU on the road, OSU at home, Maryland home and away, PSU on the road, and all of the various tomato cans

Pretty exciting time in Michigan bball. Strong team this year, and they have probably Beilein's best recruiting class coming in next year, with players like Poole, Livers, and hopefully Matthews (if he remembers how to play offense at some point) to anchor the team next year. Simpson and Teske have really improved a ton this year as well. Fun being optimistic about this program.

Big Ten tournament should be fun.  Feel so spoiled by last years amazing run, can't believe that we'll seal the deal for a second time in a row.  HOWEVER, that is what good teams do and I believe we have the stones to beat anyone, even MSU in a rematch if it comes to that on Saturday.  Hope we get to play on Sunday!

On 2/24/2018 at 11:49 PM, pyrotigers said:

Blew the doors off Maryland today. Looks like another classic John Beilein team coming together down the stretch. Really great Big 10 season all around, that early big lead blown to OSU was bad, and the Northwestern game was pretty bad, but otherwise they lost to Purdue twice in basically one possession games, and Nebraska on the road, while beating MSU on the road, OSU at home, Maryland home and away, PSU on the road, and all of the various tomato cans

Pretty exciting time in Michigan bball. Strong team this year, and they have probably Beilein's best recruiting class coming in next year, with players like Poole, Livers, and hopefully Matthews (if he remembers how to play offense at some point) to anchor the team next year. Simpson and Teske have really improved a ton this year as well. Fun being optimistic about this program.

I would say the Stauskus class was better, but this class is terrific. Definitely exciting to imagine combining the new defensive and rebounding abilities of the team with a vinatge Belein offense. Could very well return to the final four and win a title I'm the next few years.

I would love it for this to be the team to break thru & win it all, simply in the wake of the Louisville investigation & all that's happening with Arizona, et al right now. For a program like Beilein's to win it all would be awesome.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I would love it for this to be the team to break thru & win it all, simply in the wake of the Louisville investigation & all that's happening with Arizona, et al right now. For a program like Beilein's to win it all would be awesome.

It’s within the realm of possibility. This is a good team. It’s not in the top tier with MSU and Purdue and the other 1-3 seeds, but I think it’s in that second tier. 

The sweet 16 is a fair goal, and once you get that far anything can happen. They would probably need some help in the bracket. I don’t see them capable of beating a 1/2 in the sweet 16, another 1/2 in the elite eight, another couple 1/2s in the final four and championship. 

It could definitely be a fun run here. Making the big ten championship game could be enough to get them a 4 seed, and winning it might be enough for a 3.

26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It’s within the realm of possibility. This is a good team. It’s not in the top tier with MSU and Purdue and the other 1-3 seeds, but I think it’s in that second tier. 

The sweet 16 is a fair goal, and once you get that far anything can happen. They would probably need some help in the bracket. I don’t see them capable of beating a 1/2 in the sweet 16, another 1/2 in the elite eight, another couple 1/2s in the final four and championship. 

It could definitely be a fun run here. Making the big ten championship game could be enough to get them a 4 seed, and winning it might be enough for a 3.

The NCAA could only wish for a Beilein team to win it all in a year that so much slime has been oozing out of college basketball. It would be the ultimate PR antidote for the league. Almost hope it doesn't happen for that reason alone. ....But only 'almost.' ¬¬

Needed OT to beat Iowa, but when Wagner and Rahkman foul out after playing 15 and 22 minutes and only one player on the team makes a three....well, I think Michigan would be lucky to beat anyone in those circumstances

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Needed OT to beat Iowa, but when Wagner and Rahkman foul out after playing 15 and 22 minutes and only one player on the team makes a three....well, I think Michigan would be lucky to beat anyone in those circumstances

we can hope this means they got the close one out of their system.

Uh....if you don’t end up blaming the refs for how ludicrously close that game was, you didn’t watch the game.

Wasn't our best, but with normal refs we win by 15.

Nice win over Nebraska, great defense and some big threes. Get another one with State tomorrow

42 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Nice win over Nebraska, great defense and some big threes. Get another one with State tomorrow

Simpson is something else with those floaters.

And Whisky played State even in the 2nd half to lose by only 3 today.

I know we beat em at Breslin, but I’m perpetually afraid State will “put it together” and wax us by 20. 

I guess I need to have more faith in JB. I dunno if I can’t watch tomorrow. As I get older my tolerance for these types of games is so low. I have a problem.

5 hours ago, thefunk said:

I know we beat em at Breslin, but I’m perpetually afraid State will “put it together” and wax us by 20. 

I guess I need to have more faith in JB. I dunno if I can’t watch tomorrow. As I get older my tolerance for these types of games is so low. I have a problem.

yeah - MSU is still a wildcard. They have enough talent and they have a nice streak going but RPI don't lie, they haven't proven it against the best teams this year - yet.

A Beilein team isn't going to have that level of talent, they have to do a lot of things right and the shots have to fall, so no matter how good they look they are never a slam dunk to win the next game.

MSU has the talent to beat anyone, so it definitely won't be an easy game, will be interesting to see if Izzo puts Jackson on Wagner instead of risking him clowning on Ward again

MAAR has quietly turned into one of my all-time favorites. Maybe it's his consistency on a team of guys who can get pretty streaky that makes him stand out even more, but he is just so smooth. Love watching him play. 

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - MSU is still a wildcard. They have enough talent and they have a nice streak going but RPI don't lie, they haven't proven it against the best teams this year - yet.

A Beilein team isn't going to have that level of talent, they have to do a lot of things right and the shots have to fall, so no matter how good they look they are never a slam dunk to win the next game.

RPI does like when you consider it is an absolutely garbage stat. That the selection committee still uses it at all, let alone relies heavily on it, for determining the teams and seeding for the tournament is embarrassing.

That said, you are right, MSU hasn't proven it against the best teams. 

I would disgaree that a Beilein team wouldn't have that level of talent though. Maybe not regularly, but he did once run out a starting 5 that had four 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, with a first round pick as the 6th man.

6 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

MSU has the talent to beat anyone, so it definitely won't be an easy game, will be interesting to see if Izzo puts Jackson on Wagner instead of risking him clowning on Ward again

They will run that lineup with Jackson at the 5 for sure. However, Jackson has only played more than 30 minutes once, dude can't stay out of foul trouble. And even if they do, Wagner keeping Wagner on the perimeter will allow Simpson to attack the rim against Winston who is bad defensively. Our ability to space the floor with 5 shooters really helps negate what makes MSUs defense so great. Should be a great matchup.

They call the weakest fouls against Wagner.  It's unreal.  

MSU starting strong early on the offensive glass. 

Michigan hitting shots early.  13-4 lead.  Good ball movement.