RJBBREZ

UM B-Ball 17-18

big win over texas.  gives them a shot if they can win 11 games in this horrible big ten.

Like. Clockwork.

Every year (with very few exceptions) JB’s teams have a few games or a stretch where you just go.....”what?! We suck.”

Then they turn a corner and everyone’s back on the wagon. How many times do we need to see this play out before people start believing that our coach is a college basketball wizard? 

We looked so bad for that long stretch last year, then watching that team win the Big Tournament was some of the most sports-based fun I’ve ever had in my life. 

I’ll call it now. This team beats MSU and wins the BIG outright, even with the OSU loss.

suck it.

I got a chance to watch the Texas game, & then DVR'd the UCLA replay in 60. They still struggle to shoot the ball at times, but I was impressed with their rebounding & overall defense. Plus they space the floor really well on offense. Maybe it's just me, & it's a small sample size, but it seemed like they were driving more & shooting fewer 3s.  If that's the case they're going to have to get better at the line.

Went to the UM-Illinois game....good game, lively atmosphere, and a win.  Thank goodness Illinois couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a jump shot. 

Michigans defense was less than impressive, especially Mo who looked hopeless on D (ankle, still?)  but everything else clicked.

Livers was electric...big, muscular kid with a lot of energy and big time skills.  I'd like to see where he is defensively against better comp.  He could really contribute this year.

Teste is a nice big man alternative to Mo. He's slow but he creates a more effective low post presence right now, at least until Mos ankle and shot blocking recover.

We could really use a Morgan or Horford down there.  A banger with more athleticism.

Ball handling is pretty good, not quite what you'd expect ftom a Beilein team, but its still kinds early.

I like this team tho!

Team is good.  Should make the big dance if everyone stays relatively healthy.  I'm looking for them to upset one of the big two, MSU or Purdue. 

Purdue game is tonight at 9. This is a big opportunity to win a game against an elite team at home. I’m not getting my hopes up, though. 

Purdue is absolutely shooting the lights out....U/M not able to match their perimeter shooting or create any transition offense....gotta get back within 10 points at the half and start pressuring Purdue in the backcourt and get some TOs or something.

There we go, penetration offense, tough d and transition bucket....chance to get it down from 14 points to 8 points right now.

Alrighty, a banked 3-pointer and a straight up swisher 3 and we're down to 4 points just like that.

D Robinson has added some athleticism, transition offense and defense to his shooting package.  No longer a one-dimensional player.

*Whew*......not a bad 1st half against a great Purdue team that shot really well.

First 5 minutes I've watched of basketball all year and immediately turned it off.  Apparently it's not a sport I understand.

Overturned possession should have been Michigan ball or Purdue foul. Plain and simple. And what a ticky tack call to literally decide the game. What a frustrating sport.

For as much praise Wagner gets (and I get it because of his ceiling), he is typically the teams biggest liability on the floor too. 

Frustrating end to an otherwise entertaining game. Overturning that out of bounds call seems pretty unfair. 

I question whether it was the right choice to use the foul they had to give. 

I would have liked to see a better choice from Matthews. I think he went to early on the possession where the ball went out. 

Obviously, I'm on the other side of the coin, but I normally try to look at these calls objectively. I thought both calls were correct. I could tell from the angle the ball went off that it couldn't have gone off the Purdue player last, replay confirmed my suspicion. The foul may have been "ticky tack" but not calling it would have led to fast break points the other way since the foul itself led to a possession change. If it's so ticky tack, why was the ball coughed up?

If it's a foul with five minutes remaining, it's a foul with five seconds remaining.

Great game, great chess match between two great coaches who run clean programs. I do not want to play Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament.

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Obviously, I'm on the other side of the coin, but I normally try to look at these calls objectively. I thought both calls were correct. I could tell from the angle the ball went off that it couldn't have gone off the Purdue player last, replay confirmed my suspicion. The foul may have been "ticky tack" but not calling it would have led to fast break points the other way since the foul itself led to a possession change. If it's so ticky tack, why was the ball coughed up?

If it's a foul with five minutes remaining, it's a foul with five seconds remaining.

Great game, great chess match between two great coaches who run clean programs. I do not want to play Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament.

I think the frustration from our side boils down to a couple things. But first, I want to agree with your overall premise. I agree that the ball was last touched by Matthews. It was clear to me based on the replay that it couldn’t have gone off Purdue. In real time, it appeared that it did. I also agree that it was a foul on Wagner. There is no reason to call a game differently when there are five seconds left. But it’s also a play that could go uncalled at any other point in the game. I don’t think there are a lot of arguments that the foul shouldn’t have been called based on the game situation. I think it’s more that it was a borderline call overall. I would have to watch it again, but I think that Haas was hooking Wagner, too. (It’s also frustrating overall that Wagner seems to get more than his share of soft fouls that could go uncalled).

but going back to your point of calling the game differently. The objections that I’m seeing and that I tend to agree with focus on how the out of bounds call isn’t ever officiated that way throughout the balance of the game. That type of call always goes to the team that got the ball knocked away. If that play happens with 10 minutes left, it’s Michigan ball or Purdue is whistled for a foul. And on replay, it looks to me like he was fouled. But of course you can’t call a foul based on replay. That’s what seems unfair to me. 

If we are going to have replay on that type of play, I would support the refs being allowed to call a foul based on the replay as well. 

I guess the final gripe would be that if it’s so close in the referee’s mind to require 5+ minutes looking at it, it seems reasonable to just stick with the call that is consistent with how the game is called throughout the entire 40 minutes. 

I’m not sure I follow your point about if it was so ticky tack, why was the ball coughed up. Can’t the ball be coughed up without a foul. Couldn’t the same argument be applied to Matthews coughing it up seconds earlier?

anyway, by the book, it was correct to give Purdue possession. I just think that it wouldn’t be the first or last time that the refs could have looked at it and said to themselves, it may have gone slightly off his fingertip, but we never call it that way and it’s close, so we will just stick with the call on the floor (or decide that the foul on Wagner could go uncalled because it was borderline). We see makeup calls and calls made to appease the Izzos of the world when they are barking over and over. I don’t really agree that things should be that way, but they often are, and it sucks when it doesn’t go like that in your favor. 

9.5 point spread for the Spartans.....would be a huge upset for Michigan.

I think the key for U/M is more ball movement and more off-ball movement on offense than what we saw against Purdue.  MAAR in particular seemed low-energy on offense and poorly positioned off-ball.

WRT the two last minute calls against Purdue, I honestly cannot imagine that happening to the Spartans at home.  Maybe one or the other but not both.  B1G basketball officials have proven themselves to be highly susceptible to high-energy home crowds over the years; while Michigan's crowds have become more energetic than they near zero-pulse that they used to be, the U/M crowd is not in my opinion very intimidating.  For example, the crowd was very patient and quiet during the absurd 5+ minutes of review for the OOB call; I would imagine that the Breslin folks would have ratcheted up the heat on the officials as the time of review elapsed.

10 mins to go in the first half, there are 8 fouls against Michigan.  TV teddy at this best.