RJBBREZ

UM B-Ball 17-18

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

Michigan doesn't have enough guys who can hit shots. Simpson + Matthews make them a great defensive team, but that's 2 guys who can't really shoot from the outside, and then with Robinson doing nothing, it's a bit too much for Rahkman and Wagner to handle alone.

Compare that to Villanova who has a future 1st round pick coming off the bench to score 30 points.

Nova is by far the best team in the country and deserved to win. I thought Michigan played great on defense until the last few minutes when everything broke down, Nova just had guys who could make crazy contested shots, and Michigan had guys who missed open ones.

Yep.

What a one sided bs ****show from the refs. Michigan couldn't even block out for rebounds.**** 5 of novas fouls actually help them. Michigan would blow by the man and they would stop the play with a cheap away from the ball foul. 

Just as an example, there was a stretch late in the 1st half where Poole and Matthews missed pretty much wide open threes back to back, the refs blew the goaltending call, and then Brunson hits a ridiculous 27 foot three.

That's a 11 point swing and the difference between being up 2 and down 9 at the half. Against a team as good as them Michigan couldn't afford to shoot poorly again, and they did. It's honestly amazing that a team that was this weak on offense won the big 10 tournament and made it to the finals. Tons of credit to the defense and guys like Wagner and Rahkman carrying the load on offense. (And Matthews most of the tournament although tonight was not fun for him)

8 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Just as an example, there was a stretch late in the 1st half where Poole and Matthews missed pretty much wide open threes back to back, the refs blew the goaltending call, and then Brunson hits a ridiculous 27 foot three.

That's a 11 point swing and the difference between being up 2 and down 9 at the half. Against a team as good as them Michigan couldn't afford to shoot poorly again, and they did. It's honestly amazing that a team that was this weak on offense won the big 10 tournament and made it to the finals. Tons of credit to the defense and guys like Wagner and Rahkman carrying the load on offense. (And Matthews most of the tournament although tonight was not fun for him)

Yeah, that Brunson 3 felt like a dagger, especially after our missed open shots and the insane blown GT no call.

The refs were completely horrible tonight; absolutely inexcusable crap for a championship game.

• Thanks 1

I really don't think the refs were that bad, and I would prefer all refs be dipped in acid generally.

The goaltending was brutal, I thought Brunson could have been on the bench the entire game with offensive fouls, there were a couple of fouls on Divicenzo driving that i thought were nothing.

But, the goaltending and those two fouls cost us a combined 3 points. Brunson being on the bench probably helped them as the other guy was dominant with the ball in his hands and Brunson was getting out of control trying to prove he was a big strong man vs Simpson or something silly.

I really think this is a case where the refs had almost 0 influence on the game, which means they did a pretty good job.

All the credit in the world to.Beilein for getting them this far; simply incredible effort level on D, game scheming and adjustments, and Pooles amazing game winner.

Just now, pyrotigers said:

I really don't think the refs were that bad, and I would prefer all refs be dipped in acid generally.

The goaltending was brutal, I thought Brunson could have been on the bench the entire game with offensive fouls, there were a couple of fouls on Divicenzo driving that i thought were nothing.

But, the goaltending and those two fouls cost us a combined 3 points. Brunson being on the bench probably helped them as the other guy was dominant with the ball in his hands and Brunson was getting out of control trying to prove he was a big strong man vs Simpson or something silly.

I really think this is a case where the refs had almost 0 influence on the game, which means they did a pretty good job.

I dunno, the calls in the first half put our players on the bench....poor officiating caused a lot of disruption In the first half IMO.

Not the reason we lost, but it was bad in the 1st half.

1 minute ago, sabretooth said:

I dunno, the calls in the first half put our players on the bench....poor officiating caused a lot of disruption In the first half IMO.

Not the reason we lost, but it was bad in the 1st half.

I thought the first foul on Duncan was a bad call, but the second was our players being slow and bad at boxing out. That's really the only thing I'll criticize them for tonight. Missing shots happens, being out talented happens, but they were really bad on the defensive boards tonight and that was a quiet strength of this team all year. They did great on the boards all season...until tonight.

8 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I thought the first foul on Duncan was a bad call, but the second was our players being slow and bad at boxing out. That's really the only thing I'll criticize them for tonight. Missing shots happens, being out talented happens, but they were really bad on the defensive boards tonight and that was a quiet strength of this team all year. They did great on the boards all season...until tonight.

Yes that's true....controlling the defensive boards huge part of their game & they missed on that tonight.

6 hours ago, sabretooth said:

All the credit in the world to.Beilein for getting them this far; simply incredible effort level on D, game scheming and adjustments, and Pooles amazing game winner.

Yup.  Congrats to UofM and Beilein on a helluva season.

• Like 1

Great season for UM.  Villanova is unquestionably the best team.  Lots to be proud of!

Not to be overly simplistic, but if Michigan had shot a normal pct from 3pt territory, they would have been within a handful of points.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Not to be overly simplistic, but if Michigan had shot a normal pct from 3pt territory, they would have been within a handful of points.

True, this was actually a historically bad shooting percentage for them. 

Next year will be interesting. They should be a dominant defensive team, but they'll likely need a freshman to be ready to score a lot right away, or Poole to be sophomore nik stauskas

14 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Agree we could not buy a shot. Talk about the wrong game to have a bad day on. 

Add back 2 of the 4 missed FTs by Simpson, bad officiating that took MAAR and DR out of the game for a good chunk of the first half, and some bad box-outs on the defensive end and we would have won that game.

Yes, Villanova is a better team, and DD shot very well, and Bridges hit some shots, but the rest of 'Nova sucked eggs, largely because Michigan shut them down defensively. 

To the extent it was a blowout, it was because we underperformed vs. where we have been throughout this calendar year, not because Villanova played great basketball.

I just can't get over the fouls. Michigan was called for blocking out when he blocked out perfectly and thats how the calls went all night long. 

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

I just can't get over the fouls. Michigan was called for blocking out when he blocked out perfectly and thats how the calls went all night long. 

Duncan getting two quick fouls was huge. Oh well. 

On 4/4/2018 at 2:55 PM, pyrotigers said:

True, this was actually a historically bad shooting percentage for them. 

Next year will be interesting. They should be a dominant defensive team, but they'll likely need a freshman to be ready to score a lot right away, or Poole to be sophomore nik stauskas

I think Poole is definitely a candidate to have a Stauskus/Levert type leap. 

Beileinis terrific at developing, but I'm not sure he'll be able to fix Simpsons shot, it just looks terrible. I could easily see Matthews developing into a solid 3 pt shooter. He just needs to improve to a 35-36% shooter from deep.

I absolutely love DeJulius and expect him to be a stud off the bench for us next year. He should be able to fill the role of a freshman Derrick Walton who can shoot 40% from 3. He and Poole will be the only guys on the team who will be able to shoot off the dribble 3 pointers at an efficient rate, which is what this year's team really lacked.

Livers/Johns should hopefully be a defensive/rebounding upgrade over Robinson. They won't be as good of shooters, but if they can both hit 35+% on open looks from 3 they should be an offensive upgrade as they will be much better driving than Robinson. 

And Teske taking over for Wagner will greatly help defensively as well, but obviously is a downgarde on offense.

We should once again have a top 5 defense, and very may well be the best defensive team in the country next year, but we're gonna need some people to step up offensively to make another final four. 

I think we're likely 2 years from matching a top defense with a more typical elite Beilein offense.

Either way, Beilein is the ******* man and what's he's done with this program is phenomenal, and this next couple years will be fun as **** to follow.

It's crazy to think just a year and a half ago I was saying the game had passed Beilein by and it was probably time to retire because of the defensive issues they had. And instead of retiring, he realized it was a problem, hired the right people, and they've become a great defensive team.

Not just a great coaching job, but how many coaches would be unwilling to even admit they were doing anything wrong and change?

As long as no one other than Matthews goes pro early, Michigan is going to be extremely good in 19-20. Possibly elite. The great recruiting class coming in will be sophomores, Poole and Livers will be juniors and Simpson and Teske will be seniors. They need to keep defensive coordinator Luke Yaklich though.