belcherboy

Would it have been better if the Tigers had waited in hiring a manager?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21166583/joe-girardi-not-returning-manager-new-york-yankees

I don't think anyone saw this coming but...

Would you have liked Girardi over Gardenhire?  Would Girardi have even considered Detroit?

The bigger question is, should the Yankees have split ways with Girardi? I don't watch enough baseball to critique Girardi well, but he seemed to have coached them up this year...although it is the Yankees and expectations are pretty high.

I'm good with our choice.  Not a huge fan of Girardi.  And I doubt he'd leave a playoff team to come to one that will lose 100 for at least the next couple of seasons.

It doesn't matter, but I'd take Dusty Baker over Gardenhire.

I mean, if they are going to annoy me with a managerial hire, I just assume it fully irritate me instead of mostly irritate me.

For a couple weeks now, there has been chatter among media types that Girardi may be done with the Yankees, so I would guess that people in the industry were well aware that he might become available.  The Tigers went with Gardenhire anyhow, at least suggesting that they weren't interested in finding out whether he would come to Detroit.

I’d prefer a guy that would use a challenge on a big play like that hit by pitch/strike 3 call. 

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’d prefer a guy that would use a challenge on a big play like that hit by pitch/strike 3 call. 

Grrrrr.

Whoever the manager was going to be is more than likely a sacrificial lamb.  I can live with Gardenhire and his "small ball" as long as our talent develops and we bring in a suitable manager when we're ready to compete again.

It sounds like the Yankees dumped Girardi because he is not analytic enough.  He would have fit in well with the Tigers.  

I think Gardenhire will do a better job with the current state of the Tigers than Girardi would have.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It doesn't matter, but I'd take Dusty Baker over Gardenhire.

I mean, if they are going to annoy me with a managerial hire, I just assume it fully irritate me instead of mostly irritate me.

What if Gardenhire brings Baker on as a bench coach?  He's already hired Bosio to be the pitching coach, so that opportunity isn't there for Baker.

I have a feeling Girardi ends up with the Nats and Dave Martinez goes to the Yankees.      Surprised the Yankees let him go - I thought they overachieved this year - maybe it's a bad clubhouse.       I don't think Girardi would be interested in the Tigers job - I think he'd want a team that's closer.     Of course Joe could jump across town to the Mets but I just don't think teams like the Phillies or Tigers would be appealing to him.    John Farrell is still out there and he did a really good job turning around the Red Sox - he just got stale (and had to deal with David Price who sounds more and more like a diva).    Wouldn't shock me if the Reds job opened up late or even the Angels.    I am stunned Scioscia is still there.   Actually almost nothing would surprise me anymore.    

I think the Tigers had about 4  guys on their list and they got the one with the most experience.  

Hearing JV's rise is attributed to statistical analysis and high speed cameras that the Tigers do not use is kind of disheartening.   Would this fix Norris?  Zimmermann?  make Boyd more consistent?   Could it have turned it around for Sanchez?      But weren't they the last team to computerize their scouting department?   I seem to remember that being the case, but it was back when Illitch bought the team, 25 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Of course Joe could jump across town to the Mets 

Poor Mickey Calloway fired after six days on the job

50 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Poor Mickey Calloway fired after six days on the job

He hasn't won a game in a week.  The club needs a shakeup.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:08 AM, belcherboy said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21166583/joe-girardi-not-returning-manager-new-york-yankees

I don't think anyone saw this coming but...

Would you have liked Girardi over Gardenhire?  Would Girardi have even considered Detroit?

The bigger question is, should the Yankees have split ways with Girardi? I don't watch enough baseball to critique Girardi well, but he seemed to have coached them up this year...although it is the Yankees and expectations are pretty high.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

I would have preferred a hot, hard-edged yet nurturing former women’s college all-star softball player that is a huge analytics advocate. She would handle the clubhouse just fine because I know what men are like, she would think out of the box, and managers don’t mean much anyway. 

57 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I would have preferred a hot, hard-edged yet nurturing former women’s college all-star softball player that is a huge analytics advocate. She would handle the clubhouse just fine because I know what men are like, she would think out of the box, and managers don’t mean much anyway. 

Is Babs into analytics?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It might be demoralizing for the players to know that she could beat them all up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

It might be demoralizing for the players to know that she could beat them all up.

Artie Lewicki would be arranging clubhouse boxing matches and taking bets.  

Gardenhire is fine by me...I wouldn't want to take the chance on Dusty Baker's penchant for killing young arms somehow infecting  Perez, Burrows, Fulmer, Manning and Faedo...not to mention Boyd and maybe even Norris.

Girardi is...as they apparently say in NY...a putz.