John_Brian_K

Week 8: Lions -v- Steelers Sunday Night 8:30pm NBC

Just now, hardyaf said:

So yes? I think you should have just saved that post for after the game. Wouldn't have looked so ridiculous if they do lose. 

Since I ninja-edited you, here was my edit from before:

The thing that's always missing from these types of posts are the return posts when what you prognosticate doesn't happen. If Lions win this game, you won't be on here saying, boy was I wrong on this... you will be on here saying this changes nothing, and next time they lose you will get back up on your high horse. The team has gone from being a laughing stock to making the playoffs 2/3 years with the current HC, and 1/1 years with the current GM. If you keep waiting for them to look silly, eventually you will be right, but that seems like an awful sports life. 

I think they are going to get smoked and called it before hand.  That is usually better than waiting until it happens then saying 'I knew it!'

And you will NOT miss the post about me saying I blew the call.  You have been around long enough you should know I am not one of 'those people'...when I am wrong I own it.

And there is nothing 'eventual' about it...WAAAAAAY more than not they look silly.  25 years worth of lol for me.  It is really the other way around.  If you are waiting for a winning team eventually you will be right, but you will be waiting long periods in between.

If you want me to positive after a win Sunday...I may be able to eek that out depending on how they win.  I will be happy they won either way, but if they squeak by it may change my feelings on the team a little.  If they go out and spank the Steelers.....no matter how THAT happens that would impress me.

the lions can definitely win this game.  theyre coming off a bye and the steelers are playing on the road.  

i expect them to win, but because i am a lions fan, i wouldnt be surprised if they ****** it up and lost.

I have not paid attention to what people are saying about this game, but I think I saw that the line was around 2.5. The Lions definitely have a very good chance to win this game. 

I think the lions will win. But I guess it depends on decker and Lang both playing. And which receivers are healthy. 

I have not paid attention to what people are saying about this game, but I think I saw that the line was around 2.5. The Lions definitely have a very good chance to win this game. 
I think the lions will win. But I guess it depends on decker and Lang both playing. And which receivers are healthy. 

As nearly as I can tell, Decker is still on PUP and the team is on option 3, 4, 5, maybe 15 at LT.

It’s possible the Lions win. I’d guess it’s equally possible they lose by double digits.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

the lions can definitely win this game.  theyre coming off a bye and the steelers are playing on the road.  

i expect them to win, but because i am a lions fan, i wouldnt be surprised if they ****** it up and lost.

Really?  That surprises me because nothing we've seen in the weeks leading up to this game makes me think the Lions are improving... quite the opposite.  Meanwhile the Steelers have  been getting better vs. earlier this year.

Yes, the Lions have the advantage of being at home and having a week off to heal and prepare, but I just don't think that will be enough to make up for our OL being just horrible lately.  I don't think this will be a complete blow out, but I also don't think the Lions will serious threaten the Steelers.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think it is likely that a team will win and unlikely that there is a tie.

In order to win this game, the Lions will need to score more points than the Steelers.  If they fail to score more points, then I'm predicting that the Steelers win.

15 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Really?  That surprises me because nothing we've seen in the weeks leading up to this game makes me think the Lions are improving... quite the opposite.  Meanwhile the Steelers have  been getting better vs. earlier this year.

Yes, the Lions have the advantage of being at home and having a week off to heal and prepare, but I just don't think that will be enough to make up for our OL being just horrible lately.  I don't think this will be a complete blow out, but I also don't think the Lions will serious threaten the Steelers.

The whole Any Given Sunday thing...I can see them winning, but would never bet a dime on that outcome and would be pretty surprised if they did win.  It would not be the most shocking win/loss of the year for sure.

45 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

because its the nfl and the steelers are a very mortal team on the road.

they lost the bears and almost lost to the browns (and also beat the chiefs and ravens...).

i think they sleepwalk through games.  the lions will be fresh and its in primetime.  

like i said, i think the lions will win but nothing this team does to shoot itself in the foot would surprise me.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

As nearly as I can tell, Decker is still on PUP and the team is on option 3, 4, 5, maybe 15 at LT.

It’s possible the Lions win. I’d guess it’s equally possible they lose by double digits.

Well in fairness I am not sure how much worse a defensive lineman can play at LT then Greg Robinson did the last few weeks. Lions also signed Skipper who is a tackle and is a big body.

Tate is going to try and give it a go. Greg Robinson is out. As is Golladay who suffered a set back. At this point given that it is a lingering hamstring issue, I don't expect him back anytime soon.

Cooter also said he plans to use Abdullah and Riddick at the same time. I wonder if that just means using Riddick at WR with Golladay and Tate injured.

T Emmett Cleary ankle NP NP LP Out
WR Kenny Golladay hamstring LP NP NP Out
T Greg Robinson ankle NP NP NP Out
DE Ezekiel Ansah knee LP LP LP Questionable
WR Golden Tate shoulder LP LP LP Questionable
LB Paul Worrilow knee LP FP FP Questionable
G T.J. Lang back FP FP FP  
S Glover Quin concussion FP FP FP  
RB Dwayne Washington quad FP FP FP  

NO STAFFORD which is good. Would be good to get Worrilow back he is sadly one of our better LB.

Cooter also said he plans to use Abdullah and Riddick at the same time. I wonder if that just means using Riddick at WR with Golladay and Tate injured.

I think it means he was trying to get the beat writers to quit asking the question.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:34 AM, John_Brian_K said:

I have not seen if he is playing or not yet.  We could use him to stretch the field a little.

I had Aaron Rodgers as my QB in FFL and someone just released Stafford so I picked him up.  Hopefully he will start picking it up.  He has played like garbage this year so far.  I know the O line has been horrific, but he needs to know that and make quicker reads.

Garbage?  Are you kidding? 

On 10/27/2017 at 12:18 PM, John_Brian_K said:

I think they are going to get smoked and called it before hand.  That is usually better than waiting until it happens then saying 'I knew it!'

And you will NOT miss the post about me saying I blew the call.  You have been around long enough you should know I am not one of 'those people'...when I am wrong I own it.

And there is nothing 'eventual' about it...WAAAAAAY more than not they look silly.  25 years worth of lol for me.  It is really the other way around.  If you are waiting for a winning team eventually you will be right, but you will be waiting long periods in between.

If you want me to positive after a win Sunday...I may be able to eek that out depending on how they win.  I will be happy they won either way, but if they squeak by it may change my feelings on the team a little.  If they go out and spank the Steelers.....no matter how THAT happens that would impress me.

If you pick them to lose every week, is it really a prediction or just an expectation?  It gets old being a Lions fan.  Every week, no matter what you are guaranteed a few things.  

-People predicting a double digit loss or that they will get "smoked"

- The S.O.L. statement

-Morons actually blaming Stafford for L's.  No matter how bad the OL is, or the running game or how many points the defense gives up, or if they lose on a hail mary, or terrible officiating, etc

On 10/27/2017 at 4:54 PM, MAROTH4MVP said:

T Emmett Cleary ankle NP NP LP Out
WR Kenny Golladay hamstring LP NP NP Out
T Greg Robinson ankle NP NP NP Out
DE Ezekiel Ansah knee LP LP LP Questionable
WR Golden Tate shoulder LP LP LP Questionable
LB Paul Worrilow knee LP FP FP Questionable
G T.J. Lang back FP FP FP  
S Glover Quin concussion FP FP FP  
RB Dwayne Washington quad FP FP FP  

NO STAFFORD which is good. Would be good to get Worrilow back he is sadly one of our better LB.

Nothing wrong with Worrilow being your 3rd best LB. Washington back could be nice actually

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Nothing wrong with Worrilow being your 3rd best LB. Washington back could be nice actually

worrilow is a special teams guy.  if he is starting, its a sign you need to upgrade.

If you pick them to lose every week, is it really a prediction or just an expectation?  It gets old being a Lions fan.  Every week, no matter what you are guaranteed a few things.  
-People predicting a double digit loss or that they will get "smoked"
- The S.O.L. statement
-Morons actually blaming Stafford for L's.  No matter how bad the OL is, or the running game or how many points the defense gives up, or if they lose on a hail mary, or terrible officiating, etc

This is a team that gave up over 50 points the last time they took the field.

Yes, it gets old being a Lions fan, but that is not the fault of fans who acknowledge their team’s performance.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:18 PM, John_Brian_K said:

25 years worth of lol for me.  

Going on 50 years of lol'ing for me. Unless you subtract their "glory year" of 1991.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:47 AM, John_Brian_K said:

The beginning of the mudslide begins this weekend!  lol  We go from looking pretty darn good to looking like a JV team once again.  No matter the reason...this is SOL.

T&P is the biggest I can think of, but to any others who always say 'this team has nothing to do with the teams of the past the SOL stuff is garbage!' how long do you have to keep watching the same thing year after year before you buy in?

I can never envision a time when we are similar to what NE or Pitt have been over the past decade or so....good teams that CONSISTENTLY have over .500 records, make it to the playoffs year after year and seriously compete for championships.

No matter what the reason...this year maybe it is Stafford being injured as well as Decker being out and Tate hobbled etc etc.  It really does not matter what the reason is.  Something ALWAYS happens.

We get to the playoffs so infrequently that the botched calls or injuries just stand out more for us because there is zero room for error in the playoffs and we are never there.

I have said it before and will keep saying it.  They need a playoff WIN AND at minimum a playoff return 2 years in a row for me to START to buy back in.  Until then I will continue to root for them, but am going to lol when they do something or a ref blows a call because that is just what happens and I refuse to let it ruin my days anymore.

Apathy.  I have heard it is the worst thing that can happen to a franchises base...I am not so sure because I still watch....I will still go to a game once in awhile just to go...how is that hurting the franchise?

It is almost like dumping an old GF and then still being friends with her.  You dumped all the baggage of having to deal with their crap and just enjoy the moments of interaction knowing you can walk away and not have to deal with the crap that comes with daily life.

You're the most bipolar fan I've ever seen.  I've seen optimists who usually remain optimistic to pessimists who usually remain pessimistic but I've never seen a fan swing from unhealthy optimism to unhealthy pessimism like you do.

SOL isn't a thing.  It's like Cubs fans blaming the Billy Goat or Bartman for their failures over the decades.  The Lions are bad throughout the years because they had bad players, bad coaches, bad management, bad luck too but that's just the way it goes with some franchises.  They aren't bad because of the Lion on the helmet. 

So if they win tonight, are they the DifferentNewLions?

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

You're the most bipolar fan I've ever seen.  I've seen optimists who usually remain optimistic to pessimists who usually remain pessimistic but I've never seen a fan swing from unhealthy optimism to unhealthy pessimism like you do.

SOL isn't a thing.  It's like Cubs fans blaming the Billy Goat or Bartman for their failures over the decades.  The Lions are bad throughout the years because they had bad players, bad coaches, bad management, bad luck too but that's just the way it goes with some franchises.  They aren't bad because of the Lion on the helmet. 

So if they win tonight, are they the DifferentNewLions?

Not my question to answer, but, IMO, they will be the SOL until they win a Super Bowl. Remember, this is one of the top 3 teams in all of sports WRT futility.

This is probably Quinn sending a message through the press, rather than evidence of any real interest in Ebron on the part of unnamed teams.

I don’t know what the market is for athletic tight ends who can’t catch but if they can get a 4th round pick for him they should take it.