Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Rutgers vs Michigan - 10/28/17

Peters looked good for a freshman in his first real game activity. Quite frankly, I think putting him in against Rutgers was the right thing to do. Putting him into the penn state buzz saw would have been stupid. Let him play next week and see how it goes. Either way, playing or not playing Brandon Peters was not going to make this season any different. This is a young team and it isn't like they were going to go undefeated with Peters. 

2 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Completely different team now. That’s on Harbaugh for not recognizing that sooner. 

i'm not sure what the process was in his mind, but obviously you go o'korn vs. MSU because he was on fire the previous game. and no qb on the roster was going to win @ psu. who just might not be overrated.

At least Harbaugh played O’Korn in a manner where it can’t be argued he didn’t get a proper chance to prove himself. Peters is the clear #1 QB going forward. 

44 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

i'm not sure what the process was in his mind, but obviously you go o'korn vs. MSU because he was on fire the previous game. and no qb on the roster was going to win @ psu. who just might not be overrated.

Yeah, putting in Peters at PSU would have been a big mistake.  Nothing was working on either side of the ball in the second half of that game, and a Frosh QB probably would not have worked out well.

Seems like a no-brainer to have Peters start against Minny.

I only got to watch Peters first drive, but I’m excited to watch the replay. It sounds like he met all the high expectations.

Honestly I think they way the staff has handled it is right. The only game in question is why not Indiana, but why even do that with Penn State the next week? And holy cow, anyone watching what they are doing to OSU in Columbus? 

I missed the game Saturday, but DVR'd the replay.  They skipped ahead, so I missed the O'Korn pick.  (Darn)  Peters looked good.  No big mistakes, but I think he got lucky on the TD to Evans.  He underthrew that ball & a better corner would have picked it.  Still he hit most of his receivers, which is more than I can say for O'Korn.  I'm not making any predictions for this season, but I'm just glad Peters is getting reps now so we don't have a trial by fire thing going next year.

We will see down the line how good peters looks with more reps. 

I don’t really know what they were seeing in practice to make them think that OKorn was the best guy to backup speight. Maybe the offense they were running was a bit more complicated under speight and okorn’s experience made him the better call. 

Maybe it just took some time for peters to close whatever gap there was at the start of the year. He probably wasn’t getting many reps with the 1s earlier in the year. 

Mgoblog made a good point in the article today about guys that are doing well now who started off behind guys that were bad. I have to assume there is a learning curve and there is only so much you can learn or see in practices. At some point you can take the risk and put in the unknown and see what happens. 

Regardless, Peters got his chance and he took it and he earned another one. He has a good pedigree and a good coach. Might as well be optimistic.  Finish the season well and give us a reason to feel good about 2018 instead of looking to 2019. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I don’t really know what they were seeing in practice to make them think that OKorn was the best guy to backup speight. Maybe the offense they were running was a bit more complicated under speight and okorn’s experience made him the better call. 

Maybe it just took some time for peters to close whatever gap there was at the start of the year. He probably wasn’t getting many reps with the 1s earlier in the year. 

Mgoblog made a good point in the article today about guys that are doing well now who started off behind guys that were bad. I have to assume there is a learning curve and there is only so much you can learn or see in practices. At some point you can take the risk and put in the unknown and see what happens. 

Regardless, Peters got his chance and he took it and he earned another one. He has a good pedigree and a good coach. Might as well be optimistic.  Finish the season well and give us a reason to feel good about 2018 instead of looking to 2019. 

Sunshine and Shelton....just goes together kinda natural.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Sunshine and Shelton....just goes together kinda natural.

I used to hate everything. But that was when Michigan and the tigers were good. Then I had kids. Now I just don’t care what happens. That’s not entirely true though. I was pretty mad when basketball lost to Louisville. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

I used to hate everything. But that was when Michigan and the tigers were good. Then I had kids. Now I just don’t care what happens. That’s not entirely true though. I was pretty mad when basketball lost to Louisville. 

Bunch of cheaters

7 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Bunch of cheaters

And we still should have won the game. 

they can beat wisconsin.  ohio state?  probably not without a very large amount of luck.

15 hours ago, Shelton said:

Listening to the post-game presser, Harbaugh talked about Peters "finding his voice".  That makes me think it wasn't so much Peters ability to throw or run the offense as it was his ability to run a huddle. 

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

Listening to the post-game presser, Harbaugh talked about Peters "finding his voice".  That makes me think it wasn't so much Peters ability to throw or run the offense as it was his ability to run a huddle. 

I do think that had something to do with it, not just the huddle but calling the signals/motion at the line, snap counts, and whatever else.

I think Gary mentioned something as well about how he'd rarely check down early in the season in practices, so it was more than just 1 area where he needed to develop as an overall QB.

My general feeling is he made some significant steps up as the season went along. He was probably ready or close enough to ready at some point the few weeks. I think the Penn State game was kind of the main factor they were planning for. They probably wanted someone who wouldn't get rattled and turn the ball over and were going to try to win the game 20-17 or something. I don't think the coaches or anyone really saw 40+ points coming.

I am relatively pumped going forward. The running game was making strides with O'Korn in there. If you believe some of the analysis the thing that was standing in the way was defenses not respecting the passing game, and the extra guy or two they'd put in the box was what was keeping 5 yard plays becoming chunk plays. But by many counts the OL and TEs have drastically improved their run blocking and is/was just waiting for a QB to come in and open it up a bit for the RB at and past the 2nd level. Hopefully DPJ getting better and Nico Collins stepping in can help with that as well (a QB can throw receivers open, but they still have to help). I would really love to see some down field throws the next couple games to get Wisconsin feeling like they have to defend the whole field when that game comes around.

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I do think that had something to do with it, not just the huddle but calling the signals/motion at the line, snap counts, and whatever else.

I think Gary mentioned something as well about how he'd rarely check down early in the season in practices, so it was more than just 1 area where he needed to develop as an overall QB.

My general feeling is he made some significant steps up as the season went along. He was probably ready or close enough to ready at some point the few weeks. I think the Penn State game was kind of the main factor they were planning for. They probably wanted someone who wouldn't get rattled and turn the ball over and were going to try to win the game 20-17 or something. I don't think the coaches or anyone really saw 40+ points coming.

I am relatively pumped going forward. The running game was making strides with O'Korn in there. If you believe some of the analysis the thing that was standing in the way was defenses not respecting the passing game, and the extra guy or two they'd put in the box was what was keeping 5 yard plays becoming chunk plays. But by many counts the OL and TEs have drastically improved their run blocking and is/was just waiting for a QB to come in and open it up a bit for the RB at and past the 2nd level. Hopefully DPJ getting better and Nico Collins stepping in can help with that as well (a QB can throw receivers open, but they still have to help). I would really love to see some down field throws the next couple games to get Wisconsin feeling like they have to defend the whole field when that game comes around.

Yeah, that’s a good final point. Hopefully we can do enough over the next two games to reestablish that this team has some semblance of a passing game to keep Wisconsin honest. 

it's been one game with peters.  hopefully he keeps it up, but lets wait a bit.

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

it's been one game with peters.  hopefully he keeps it up, but lets wait a bit.

Never wait. 

Harbaugh had a comment this morning about how the best players play, but that it’s hard with quarterbacks because there is only one of them on the field. I can see where he is coming from. With running backs or receivers, there is a natural way for many to see playing time and earn more reps. Or on defense there are multiple chances for second string guys to get in and prove themselves. But it’s a lot harder to do at QB. Of course, at some point you can decide that the QB isn’t getting it done and there is nothing to lose by pulling the starter. Maybe it should have happened sooner. But looking back there weren’t many times prior to the Rutgers game where it made sense. The Indiana game was mostly in hand. The Purdue game was a chance to go with peters instead of OKorn. That could have been the biggest mistake because it’s hard to see how Peters could have done worse than OKorn in the MSU game. You could have made the change after MSU too. But I can also see why you would stick with OKorn because he did have the good Purdue game and less than ideal conditions against MSU. 

Either way, we are here now. Peters will get the next start and will keep it until he blows it. It sure would be nice to see him do well and give us some hope against Wisconsin and osu but more importantly for next season. 

im more excited about the running game.

im excited about peters because he's new, he didnt look terrible, and he's not o'korn (or speight).