Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

How can we speed up these games?

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

7th inning, it's 11:41 - kids have school tomorrow.     And this is a great World Series.     This is the problem.   Couldn't start this game at 6 on a Sunday?      You know, like the NFL starting the Super Bowl at 6 instead of 8 ?

I think with kids all I could do would be let them watch until their bedtime in the 5th inning or so, then promise to wake them up for the 9th if still close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, lordstanley said:

I think with kids all I could do would be let them watch until their bedtime in the 5th inning or so, then promise to wake them up for the 9th if still close. 

This game has been very exciting and people are missing it.   It's 11-8 now Houston and I am thinking JV gets to maybe start the game that wins the World Series Tuesday but no lead is safe in this game. 

 

Correa hit that a damn mile, man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Changing the start time doesn't impact the length of the game.

Changing the start time doesn't impact the length of the game, very true.  But changing the start time might get more of that game into a more reasonable viewing window for those of us that need to wake up for work the next day.  Which I would be willing to bet is a majority of the intended target audience if you take away the variable of what the TV execs want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

7th inning, it's 11:41 - kids have school tomorrow.     And this is a great World Series.     This is the problem.   Couldn't start this game at 6 on a Sunday?      You know, like the NFL starting the Super Bowl at 6 instead of 8 ?

The NFL can start the game at 6 because it is more popular and basically the only thing on tv that entire day. It doesn’t have to compete with the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thefunk said:

But you have to admit most of the ideas presented in our thread are hot rotten garbage that destroys the spirit of baseball.

Like getting fewer commercials.  Because that will happen.

What is the spirit of baseball?  Honest question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

The NFL can start the game at 6 because it is more popular and basically the only thing on tv that entire day. It doesn’t have to compete with the NFL. 

Not as popular as it once was.    Not even close.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not as popular as it once was.    Not even close.  

So? The super bowl is a completely different event. It’s not comparable to a World Series game. 

It’s not just competition with the NFL, though. But maybe if another network had the contract, they might do it differently. Like, if ABC or TBS had the World Series instead of fox, maybe they wouldn’t care about scheduling an overlap with the late afternoon NFL games. Still, casual fans are simply more busy with other things prior to 8pm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spirit of baseball begins and ends with the idea that it is untimed.  No clock.  Any conversations regarding changing this will inevitably change the core of the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Baseball used to have a clock, and it was called the sun.

It gained popularity relative to cricket because it was quickly played.

And now, oddly enough, I can watch a game of cricket in less time than I'd spend watching a baseball game. A county T20 match, under floodlights, will start at 7 and be done by 9:30 at the latest, probably beforehand. And in high summer it'll barely need the lights.

And the beer's better...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, we've got stamina!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-world-series-climbs-trouncing-sunday-night-football-1052876

What's particularly incredible about Sunday's World Series game is the stamina the audience had, even with the bloated run-time. The game ran a whopping 5 hours and 17 minutes — stretching well past midnight on the East Coast. Viewership, it seems, did not drop off after 12 a.m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2017 at 10:27 PM, thefunk said:

But you have to admit most of the ideas presented in our thread are hot rotten garbage that destroys the spirit of baseball.

 

Not really. One of the most common refrains from the real old timers about baseball from the pre-teevee era was that batters did not step out of the box between every pitch to tug on their batting gloves, pull down their jersey tops, rearrange their peanut collection, etc etc -- they just got in there and hit.

Enforcing the 20-second clock or strictly limiting the number of time outs players can call would only make that official.

Man, in the olden-OLDEN days (1920s and before) you had quick-pitch artists; you step in the box and start taking warmup swings or digging your cleats in the dirt, and they fire one past you. That was when nine-inning games in 1:30 were not unheard-of.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TJ_TJ said:

 

Not really. One of the most common refrains from the real old timers about baseball from the pre-teevee era was that batters did not step out of the box between every pitch to tug on their batting gloves, pull down their jersey tops, rearrange their peanut collection, etc etc -- they just got in there and hit.

Enforcing the 20-second clock or strictly limiting the number of time outs players can call would only make that official.

Man, in the olden-OLDEN days (1920s and before) you had quick-pitch artists; you step in the box and start taking warmup swings or digging your cleats in the dirt, and they fire one past you. That was when nine-inning games in 1:30 were not unheard-of.

 

That’s fine, but let’s get back to that in a natural way. Once clocks enter baseball there’s no going back. I know pitch clocks are already in use, but whatever.

no clocks. Ever. Baseball is timeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thefunk said:

That’s fine, but let’s get back to that in a natural way. Once clocks enter baseball there’s no going back. I know pitch clocks are already in use, but whatever.

no clocks. Ever. Baseball is timeless.

There's already a 12-second rule, so it's not as timeless as you would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only timeless thing baseball needs is no game clock marking the end of an inning or game.  I have no problem with them doing things to speed up the dead time between pitches.  Batters and pitchers never used to take this much time to get ready to bat/pitch.  This is something that has developed over the years and is not inherently part of the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The only timeless thing baseball needs is no game clock marking the end of an inning or game.  I have no problem with them doing things to speed up the dead time between pitches.  Batters and pitchers never used to take this much time to get ready to bat/pitch.  This is something that has developed over the years and is not inherently part of the game.  

Yes, I think this is where it needs to start.  Kill the wasting of time in between pitches where there’s is no action.  If there is a foul ball, or a stolen base attempt, or some kind of play like that, obviously you toss out the clock, or use a different clock in said circumstances.

And get the baseballs back to what they where prior to last seasons all star game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pretty strongly believe the best thing to do is to eliminate sign stealing. Put a mic in the pitchers glove and give the catcher an earpiece. Or put the mic in the catchers mask and vice-versa.

I don't mind delays for pitching changes or between innings so much, because I know nothing is going to happen. But it bugs me much more when I'm ready for a pitch and it just never seems to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 9:14 PM, TJ_TJ said:

 

Not really. One of the most common refrains from the real old timers about baseball from the pre-teevee era was that batters did not step out of the box between every pitch to tug on their batting gloves, pull down their jersey tops, rearrange their peanut collection, etc etc -- they just got in there and hit.

Enforcing the 20-second clock or strictly limiting the number of time outs players can call would only make that official.

Man, in the olden-OLDEN days (1920s and before) you had quick-pitch artists; you step in the box and start taking warmup swings or digging your cleats in the dirt, and they fire one past you. That was when nine-inning games in 1:30 were not unheard-of.

 

You can still see this in those few TV broadcasts from the 1950s that we still have, such as the 1952 Dodgers-Yankees Series:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repeated mound visits by the catcher are really annoying for me especially when they go out after every pitch or we've other pitch. It makes that particular at bat drag on forever.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chasfh said:

You can still see this in those few TV broadcasts from the 1950s that we still have, such as the 1952 Dodgers-Yankees Series:

 

This game is 3 hours long and the 15 minutes I watched saw at least an average of 45 seconds between each pitch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×