Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
RJBBREZ

QB change

Recommended Posts

I was at the game and me and my friends agreed after O'Korn's last series that it was going to be Peters in the next series or probably never (barring injuries).  O'Korn started suffering from the same thing Speight did - indecisiveness.   That might be a touch of PTSD and I hope the protection improves for Peters or he'll suffer the same fate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why it took this long, though in another thread it was suggested Peters had some maturing to do in terms of his leadership.  I'm just glad he'll get reps to prepare him for next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Independent of how Peters looked against Rutgers, it seems highly unlikely to me that Harbaugh played O'Korn for any other reason than he thought O'Korn gave the team the best chance to win.

That ultimately may have been or was a bad decision (I think we need to see more of Peters and see his warts before coming to a conclusion), but it seems pretty crazy to me to think Harbaugh knew or strongly suspected Peters would be better but sat him purely or largely out of intransigence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Independent of how Peters looked against Rutgers, it seems highly unlikely to me that Harbaugh played O'Korn for any other reason than he thought O'Korn gave the team the best chance to win.

That ultimately may have been or was a bad decision (I think we need to see more of Peters and see his warts before coming to a conclusion), but it seems pretty crazy to me to think Harbaugh knew or strongly suspected Peters would be better but sat him purely or largely out of intransigence.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Independent of how Peters looked against Rutgers, it seems highly unlikely to me that Harbaugh played O'Korn for any other reason than he thought O'Korn gave the team the best chance to win.

That ultimately may have been or was a bad decision (I think we need to see more of Peters and see his warts before coming to a conclusion), but it seems pretty crazy to me to think Harbaugh knew or strongly suspected Peters would be better but sat him purely or largely out of intransigence.

I think part of it was JH not wanting to put in a 'rookie' until he was sure he would succeed. He said this was like a bird leaving it's nest, and they called some new plays that were easy throws to get Peters going.

I think he wanted to guarantee as much success as possible to start out. And obviously it got to the point where O'Korn needed to come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sabretooth said:

It seems like Peters is the better QB at this point....whether that was the case 5 weeks ago is another matter entirely.....I don't think that anybody is qualified at this point to make that call. 

I'm guessing that at no point since peters arrived on campus that okorn was better than him.  Okorn simply doesn't have the arm to head to be a college quarterback.  

Im not convinced that Michigan isn't undefeated if peters started Day 1.  Because frankly, speight isn't anything but a 3rd stringer either.  Harbaugh just wanted to go with the veteran.  It wasn't a smart decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Independent of how Peters looked against Rutgers, it seems highly unlikely to me that Harbaugh played O'Korn for any other reason than he thought O'Korn gave the team the best chance to win.

That ultimately may have been or was a bad decision (I think we need to see more of Peters and see his warts before coming to a conclusion), but it seems pretty crazy to me to think Harbaugh knew or strongly suspected Peters would be better but sat him purely or largely out of intransigence.

Disagree. This is what gets coaches in trouble.  They defer to the veteran for a multitude of dumb reasons.  

Peters has a legit arm, okorn does not.  Peters didn't play cause he was younger than okorn, when it's pretty obvious he gives the team the best chance to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be the Let's not get carried away guy.    I do like what I saw from Peters but.........

 

.........there is almost no pressure on the 2nd string QB.   Everyone LOVES the 2nd string QB.    It's kind of a no-lose.   If you come in and fail at least it wasn't the other bum this time and hey, you're the 2nd stringer and you weren't expected to do much.   But if you do well, you are the second coming of Tom Brady.    This coming week there will be much more pressure on him,  just internally with himself, to prove it was not a fluke.     Remember a month ago John O'Korn was in this exact same position after the 2nd half against a bad team at Purdue.  The energy changed in that game too just like it did yesterday.   That element is not there now.   

............there may not be much but there is now game film on Peters.    P.J. Fleck is a good coach rebuilding his team but I am sure his staff will be able to spot some tendencies.   I would imagine that Minnesota will come at him early and often Saturday night and try to rattle him like Johnny O got rattled - and that might put a dent in that decisiveness we saw yesterday.  

..........if Pete survives the Minnesota game (big if with that offensive offensive line) then Maryland/Wisconsin/OSU will have much more game film to see on him and each one of those games is harder than the previous game.  

........there is no savior now.  O'Korn is your 2nd stringer.   They will not burn the redshirt on McCaffrey even if Peters or O'Korn got hurt.  Alex Malzone is the next man up and that would be like the plot of Designated Survivor for that to happen.   

..........and it was Rutgers.   Bad enough team.  So bad they lost to Eastern Michigan at home.  So bad they had to put hottubs in the corners of the end zone seats to draw fans.   Most of the people at their games are fans of the other team that moved to NY/NJ for careers.  And they had no game film in a college setting to scout Peters. 

 

But I do like him.  Please protect him.  Don't get him seriously hurt and don't get him Post Traumatic Sack Disorder.   

 

 

We're headed for the Holiday Bowl and it could be against Rich Rod & Arizona.............and he wouldn't have any added motivation, would he?     It's just about getting guys some in-game experience against some pretty good teams..............that and the Ohio State game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

I'm guessing that at no point since peters arrived on campus that okorn was better than him.  Okorn simply doesn't have the arm to head to be a college quarterback.  

Im not convinced that Michigan isn't undefeated if peters started Day 1.  Because frankly, speight isn't anything but a 3rd stringer either.  Harbaugh just wanted to go with the veteran.  It wasn't a smart decision. 

Peters has a better arm, no doubt about that.

You may be right about Harbaugh's motivation to play veterans over a rookie who Harbaugh thought was better....but I seriously doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brandon Peters statue is going to go up right in front of the Al Glick Field House.     (It was an O'Korn statue 3 weeks ago put they are making some subtle changes............)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harbaugh may have wanted to start an older QB on the premise he had more experience and therefore would handle pressure better.  Or maybe he simply thought Peters was the 3rd best QB on his roster.  Or maybe the plan was to work Peters in slowly to set up next season while keeping this season in play as long as possible.

I am not saying Harbaugh didn't screw up.  He may have (I think it is too early to say).

I am saying that I do not think Harbaugh thought Peters was a better option but chose not to start him because reasons.  If Harbaugh thought Peters was better choice, he would have started him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I will be the Let's not get carried away guy.    I do like what I saw from Peters but.........

 

.........there is almost no pressure on the 2nd string QB.   Everyone LOVES the 2nd string QB.    It's kind of a no-lose.   If you come in and fail at least it wasn't the other bum this time and hey, you're the 2nd stringer and you weren't expected to do much.   But if you do well, you are the second coming of Tom Brady.    This coming week there will be much more pressure on him,  just internally with himself, to prove it was not a fluke.     Remember a month ago John O'Korn was in this exact same position after the 2nd half against a bad team at Purdue.  The energy changed in that game too just like it did yesterday.   That element is not there now.   

............there may not be much but there is now game film on Peters.    P.J. Fleck is a good coach rebuilding his team but I am sure his staff will be able to spot some tendencies.   I would imagine that Minnesota will come at him early and often Saturday night and try to rattle him like Johnny O got rattled - and that might put a dent in that decisiveness we saw yesterday.  

..........if Pete survives the Minnesota game (big if with that offensive offensive line) then Maryland/Wisconsin/OSU will have much more game film to see on him and each one of those games is harder than the previous game.  

........there is no savior now.  O'Korn is your 2nd stringer.   They will not burn the redshirt on McCaffrey even if Peters or O'Korn got hurt.  Alex Malzone is the next man up and that would be like the plot of Designated Survivor for that to happen.   

..........and it was Rutgers.   Bad enough team.  So bad they lost to Eastern Michigan at home.  So bad they had to put hottubs in the corners of the end zone seats to draw fans.   Most of the people at their games are fans of the other team that moved to NY/NJ for careers.  And they had no game film in a college setting to scout Peters. 

 

But I do like him.  Please protect him.  Don't get him seriously hurt and don't get him Post Traumatic Sack Disorder.   

 

 

We're headed for the Holiday Bowl and it could be against Rich Rod & Arizona.............and he wouldn't have any added motivation, would he?     It's just about getting guys some in-game experience against some pretty good teams..............that and the Ohio State game.  

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Harbaugh may have wanted to start an older QB on the premise he had more experience and therefore would handle pressure better.  Or maybe he simply thought Peters was the 3rd best QB on his roster.  Or maybe the plan was to work Peters in slowly to set up next season while keeping this season in play as long as possible.

I am not saying Harbaugh didn't screw up.  He may have (I think it is too early to say).

I am saying that I do not think Harbaugh thought Peters was a better option but chose not to start him because reasons.  If Harbaugh thought Peters was better choice, he would have started him.

Yes....there are a lot of mistakes made by HCs and FOs and what-not, and a lot of decisions that I disagree with that might or might not be mistakes....but damn, if TP is right about Harbaugh deliberately going with what Harbaugh felt was the worse option in JOK over Peters, Harbaugh should resign from sports entirely.

I would never ever assume that any HC, Harbaugh included, had deliberately made what he himself felt was the wrong choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brandon Peters statue is going up right in front of the Al Glick practice field.     3 weeks ago it was a John O'Korn statue but they carved a "1" next to the 8 and buffed out the name on the back.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2017 at 9:17 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

The Brandon Peters statue is going up right in front of the Al Glick practice field.     3 weeks ago it was a John O'Korn statue but they carved a "1" next to the 8 and buffed out the name on the back.   

I am not sure who would have been that stupid to think O'korn was good, but I think the QB play has been so bad for years at UM that people get a little excited at even an average QB (like Jake Rudock).   With the more than solid defense UM has and will continue to have, the QB doesnt have to be a superstar.  So, **** yeah I am all aboard the Peters hype train.  I couldnt watch another second of Okorn.  I actually got up and left last saturday praying that when I returned a change would have been made, and my wish came true.  Go blue 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×