Sports_Freak

Cabrera's mistress wants more child support

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Has anyone else mentioned this? The woman is getting 12k per month and wants more. Unreal.....

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/10/20/miguel-cabreras-wife-filed-divorce-changed-mind-amid-mistress-scandal/783915001/

Wonder if Miggy's wife knows about this. If she does, it's brutally obvious why she's staying with him. If she didn't know about it before...she does now....

2 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Wonder if Miggy's wife knows about this. If she does, it's brutally obvious why she's staying with him. If she didn't know about it before...she does now....

Near the bottom of the article, the mistress says she's entitled to 100k per month in child support. If his wife knows about these kids, it would be smart to fight for full time custody, leaving the mistress high and dry. 

2 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I think ballplayer wives are somewhat like mob wives.  Their guys cheat on them, they know it.    A "goomah" or "gomar" if you will.   

agreed.  I really don't like the media doing this.  It's tabloid trash.  It's of no concern to us and we don't need to know.  These aren't public officials.  No laws were broken. They are entertainers.  

50 minutes ago, Oblong said:

agreed.  I really don't like the media doing this.  It's tabloid trash.  It's of no concern to us and we don't need to know.  These aren't public officials.  No laws were broken. They are entertainers.  

TMZ would cover it.  I wish it could be kept private for everyone involved, but unfortunately this goes with being in the public eye.  And if it had been Alex Presley or the Deuce, it wouldn't be a story.  This is only a story given Cabby's status on the team.

It wouldn't be a story because Deuce's mistresses pay him.

It is a story with Cabrera only because people want to know these type of details even though it isn't their business / doesn't affect them, and I would suggest part of the reason why is many like to judge others.

These are hard for me to process.  A player I like a ton doing things I would consider 'not cool'.  I guess the problem is not knowing all the details as usual.  If the wife was cool with an open type relationship then who am I to judge them for it.  My personal beliefs are once married that you do not cheat on that person, but again I have no idea what type of marriage they had.  In my mind I like to think they had an arrangement and that Cabby was not just running around on her lying to her all the time...I would hate to hear that.  So I will assume they had an open marriage until I hear otherwise.  

Not sure what I will think if it comes out that she was unaware of all of it.  I really like rooting for good people...I would hate to find out Cabby is not a decent guy.  I can look past a lot of things, but I am not sure I can look past a guy who is lying to his wife...especially when they have kids.

There was a time in my life when I cared about this type of thing because I was emotionally invested in the team and projected some idealized or romanticized set of behaviors onto the players of the team I followed.

I don't know, at some point I'd suggest we collectively as fans need to realize or remember that these are flawed men, no different from the people we work with or live next door to, except they are phenomenally gifted baseball players.  They aren't there because they are morally or ethically better people than you or I.  Or as Jim Bouton observed, putting these guys on pedestals means we effectively lower ourselves.

Another thing is making a bunch of money doesn't make anyone sustainably happy anymore than being married to someone who is hot is some sort of panacea.  If they are happy in their career or marriage, then there is a lot more behind it than the money or looks (I know nobody brought up looks, but I think it a reasonable parallel).

OTOH, if they are unhappy in their marriage or career, part of that is because it is hard to find fulfillment in work and it is damn hard to have a happy marriage, especially with the distractions of fame and being apart frequently and, fairly or not, men often have a hard time turning down reasonably attractive women that throw themselves at them, a pitfall very few that aren't rich / famous have to contend with.

In short, the individuals involved are all flawed, probably regret a number of decisions made, but can and will manage it as they think best moving forward.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It wouldn't be a story because Deuce's mistresses pay him.

Deuce has discovered that the major league lifestyle yields a much higher class of woman than the minors.  He knows that if he puts a little work into it, there is a profit to be gained beyond the usual benefits.  Shasta is his latest venture, but not his first.  You can't really do it if you become wealthy like Cabrera.  You have to be on a major league salary, but you can't become too established.  His extended disabled list stint was perfect.  

Correct.

Once you have FU money, the ladies stop looking at you as the guy that is misunderstood and just needs the love of a good woman, maybe two, if she is honest with herself after having drank some wine and looking into his dark brooding eyes.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

(I know nobody brought up looks, ).

Actually, somebody brought up Deuce.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It wouldn't be a story because Deuce's mistresses pay him . . .

Deuce doesn't encourage this type of thing actively, but who does it hurt to leave the door open a bit here and there?

His kids should be entitled to the same lifestyle as his other kids.  I don't have a problem with her.  If he doesn't like it then he shouldn't have been stepping out on his wife.      I feel bad for him for what is going on back home in Venezuela and I also wonder about his drinking and if he's slipped there, but I don't have much sympathy for him here.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

His kids should be entitled to the same lifestyle as his other kids.  I don't have a problem with her.  If he doesn't like it then he shouldn't have been stepping out on his wife.      I feel bad for him for what is going on back home in Venezuela and I also wonder about his drinking and if he's slipped there, but I don't have much sympathy for him here.   

The idea of being legally obligated to it is a bit weird to me, but I tend to agree on the sentiment. Cabrera takes home probably at least 15 mil a year after taxes(endorsements etc. included). Spending 1.2 a year on his children doesn't seem absurd. Might be a middle ground, but 60k is rather low, especially if he isn't taking care of them 50% of the time.

I know a lot of people like the idea of punishing mistresses for bearing children out of wedlock with a married man—I mean, golddigger, right? What about the wife, right?

I think this kind of thinking lets the man off the hook too easy, though. He is the one who impregnated her, after all, so he had at least a 50% hand in all this, and he is the man of means. Why should the children, who are literally as much his children as any of the children he has with his wife, be punished for it by having to adopt the living-paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle of the mother? Why shouldn't they be entitled to the same lifestyle as the three other children, or at the very least something that gets them half or most of the way there? The kids came out of the same man, after all. It's not the kids' fault they came out of a different lady.

I know, $12,000 a month is pretty good money. That's $144,000 a year. But Cabrera makes $28 million a year, so the support for those two other children is only about one half of one percent of his salary. How is that fair or just for the children? Regardless of whom Miggy fathered the children with, why shouldn't those kids share in the same good fortune of having a wealthy daddy as the children he fathered with his wife?

Child support of $100,000/month for two children coming from a man making over $2 million is month seems to me to be more than just fair to him. If that's the number she came up with, he should take that deal and run. For one thing, it will get the story out of the news cycle, because every day it stays in cycle hurts Miggy and the team. But more to the point, $100,000/month won't make any substantial dent in his lifestyle, and it will provide Miggy's two other kids the kind of situation they should be entitled to for being the children of a super wealthy man.

Get it done, Miggy, and get this story off my Tigers feed already.

I am of the understanding Miguel has no issue with the amount and rather asked to put a percentage of the money in trust for his children because his concern has to do with his mistress basically using the money on herself instead of the children.

I think that is a reasonable compromise.

I also saw it in one of the News columns that court documents back up the claim he's ok with spending the money on the kids, via  a trust, rather than letting her have it up front.

Even if they go the trust route, I don't believe they should put all the money in there. She should be allowed to raise the kids in a comfortable lifestyle, upper middle class at least. She shouldn't have to raise them in the same impoverished circumstances she lived in when Miggy broke his vows with her. Yes, she too would benefit from that UMC situation, but it's not as though she's some anonymous gold-digging conniver here. She's the mother of two of his children. That should count for something.

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

Even if they go the trust route, I don't believe they should put all the money in there. She should be allowed to raise the kids in a comfortable lifestyle, upper middle class at least. She shouldn't have to raise them in the same impoverished circumstances she lived in when Miggy broke his vows with her. Yes, she too would benefit from that UMC situation, but it's not as though she's some anonymous gold-digging conniver here. She's the mother of two of his children. That should count for something.

He isn't asking that all the money be placed in trust.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He isn't asking that all the money be placed in trust.

Good. Glad he's listening to me.