Motor City Sonics

Ron Gardenhire is your new Tiger manager

8 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

25 or 6 to 4?

Oh, I see,...... a Chicago fan in disguise on a Detroit board.

scooby-doo-villain-unmasked.jpg

• Haha 1

He's like Ralph Houk...the steady professional to help the kids weather the storm of getting their asses kicked for a few years.  When the team becomes good again...he'll move on.  Hopefully, we'll just hire another Sparky and skip the Less Moss phase of this analogy

• Like 1

I think the anti-analytics part of it is overblown a bit with Gardenhire.  The organization is moving in that direction, in terms of filling out rosters & how they spend their cash.  Perhaps it may inform decisions when filling out line-up cards, but not in game decisions.  I think Gardy will do a better job in game, & the organization as a whole will get better when it comes to analytics.  Yes they'll be bottom feeders next season, but I don't think it will take as long as people think.  Avila did a nice job filling the roster with young talent from the trades.

I like it.  For no other reason than he has been a manager of bad teams so knows his way around those issues.  Also usually did pretty well with low payrolls in twink town so hopefully he can make something work here.  A playoff run or 2 in the next 6-7 years would be really amazing with this set up right now.  It is ALL about the minor league guys.  Keep drafting the right ones and keep coaching them the right way and maybe we can catch lighting in a bottle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

i, for one, am looking forward to many sacrifice bunts.  cant wait until he makes miggy bunt.

Won't have to worry about that.  Miggy won't be on the Tigers when the season starts.  

Outside of the tank, which was spectacular, and the Deuce stories, which were both cromulent and embiggened even the smallest man, the news and moves from this team have been absolute crap for 5 straight months.  It has been the worst 5 month stretch since 2003.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I hate the hire but there is always the possibility he dies before the season starts.

I wonder what the medics and actuaries think of these chances?  Not that he's into sabremathmetrics.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Outside of the tank, which was spectacular, and the Deuce stories, which were both cromulent and embiggened even the smallest man, the news and moves from this team have been absolute crap for 5 straight months.  It has been the worst 5 month stretch since 2003.

The Boyd no hit bid was the sole beacon of oasis in the desert.  And most folks were tuned out by then to follow that game.

Does it really matter how into analytics the manager is?  He's not the one crunching numbers.  He receives the data.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I wonder what the medics and actuaries think of these chances?  Not that he's into sabremathmetrics.

He will live forever because he will order bunts that both irritate me and drive me to an early grave.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

Does it really matter how into analytics the manager is?  He's not the one crunching numbers.  He receives the data.  

Well, it certainly doesn't matter how into the analytics the Tiger manager is with what they'll have at their disposal the next couple of seasons.

and I assumed they asked him if he'd use the data that and were satisified with his answer...  Isn't AZ heavily into analytics?  Seems like Gibson talked about that a lot on the broadcasts and he seems far more into it as an announcer than he was before.  Maybe Gardenhire sees the value now and is ok with it.

Then again Brad said he wasn't sure any of the work being done would be ready for the new manager.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

One could argue it matters if he chooses to ignore the data.

like Bobby Valentine in Boston

12 minutes ago, Oblong said:

and I assumed they asked him if he'd use the data that and were satisified with his answer...  Isn't AZ heavily into analytics?  Seems like Gibson talked about that a lot on the broadcasts and he seems far more into it as an announcer than he was before.  Maybe Gardenhire sees the value now and is ok with it.

Then again Brad said he wasn't sure any of the work being done would be ready for the new manager.

I had an insider tell me that this is the reason why Kapler wouldn't be in place. He would not be able to implement the things he wants to and wouldn't accept the job if offered.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Well, it certainly doesn't matter how into the analytics the Tiger manager is with what they'll have at their disposal the next couple of seasons.

This is true.

like so many other have said, it does not really matter who the manager is until later

but I was watching the Cubs-Dodgers series, and every bullpen shot of the Dodgers showed a bullpen coach reading from a binder talking to the reliever warming up about the batters Dave Roberts was going to have him face. Sometimes they actually went over to look at the charts/data, pointing to it and having a discussion about how to pitch to certain players. This seems to be one clear way data can provide an edge to a team. Don't know how effective it is as the Dodger bullpen is really talented. 

20 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I had an insider tell me that this is the reason why Kapler wouldn't be in place. He would not be able to implement the things he wants to and wouldn't accept the job if offered.

Meaning Kapler wanted more analytics than the Tigers were willing (or able) to provide?