Motor City Sonics

Ron Gardenhire is your new Tiger manager

Good hire. Tigers are terrible. He is a good developer of talent, which is what the Tigers need. Will provide stability to the Skipper position.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

He got the Twins to the ALCS before Mauer and Morneau broke into the league and before Santana emerged as an elite ace. Minnesota didn't go out and sign free agents or make big trades. He kept them competing for the playoffs mostly with homegrown talent. This was a team MLB was seriously thinking of getting rid of before he became manager. It isn't the 58-81 record Kapler has a minor league manager 10 years ago, but it's not too bad. 

He did all this because he had an excellent organization that gave him lots of young pitching talent in a joke stadium in a crappy division

Now he has Al Avila

33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Twins record in Gardenhire's last four years:

63-99 66-96 6-96 70-92

So, he has a lot of experience with terrible teams.  

One possibly good thing about him is that his good teams used to have good bullpens.  I am not sure what that means.  I know it will make Sabertooth giddy.   

He did very well developing all that talent into a 95 game losing team, I'm now ready to embrace him

One thing Gardenhire definitely needs to do is to lose his goatee.  Keep the stache though.  If he does that, he will have a chance to succeed.  

• Like 1

Lynn Henning say not to believe Gardenhire when Gardenhire says numbers lie because Gardenhire will use analytics because he will.

no amount of analytics is going to change realities that are ingrained in Detroit’s immediate baseball seasons.

That, of course, is the popular critique on Gardenhire. He is old school, the folklorists insist. He is anti-algorithms. He brushes aside sabermetrics as a child knocks away a plate of brussels sprouts.

And it’s Grade A-certified malarkey.

The Tigers have expanded their analytics staff by 700 percent since Avila came aboard. 

Avila is much more into the numbers and the Tigers now are at least approaching mid-stream among big-league analytics cubicles, with more staff coming.

This no doubt was a heavy part of the interview in which Gardenhire was grilled by Avila, assistant GM David Chadd, development boss Dave Littlefield, big-league scouting general Scott Bream, as well as Alan Trammell, who is an assistant to Avila.

The Tigers are not building their version of a NASA lab only to see it treated casually or indifferently by a new skipper.

Gardenhire will be privy to all the numbers staff’s data. He’ll be expected to incorporate it, and, knowing Gardenhire, there will not be the least hesitancy. He’ll want any edge he can get. He specialized in edges when he ran the Twins and extracted from those teams about as much baseball advantage as could be squeezed, something the Tigers remember all too painfully.

Gardenhire was good his first couple years because he inherited a Tom Kelley ran team.  He managed just like Kelley (my memory is telling me ).

4 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

The fun thing about this is nobody knows if this is a good hire, and we probably won't know when he's fired either.

Yeah, I don't actually think it will matter to the team. I just don't really want to see his red jowly cheeks flushing with excitement as he feverishly signals for Mikie Mahtook to bunt a man over to 2nd for the next 3 years

i, for one, am looking forward to many sacrifice bunts.  cant wait until he makes miggy bunt.

1 hour ago, Scottwood said:

I'll be curious if he gets fired right before they become a good team again or if this is a hire they'll stick with as they start hitting their stride.

How do we know if we'll be good again?

58 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Has Al Avila really increased the analytics by 700%? Is that an analytical number?

Your new Detroit Tigers. Now 700% more analytic! And 2100% crustier, but with 25% less grit.

I'm tired of trying to cure our ills with washed-up ex-Twins. If he brings Kent Hrbek and Greg Gagne onto his coaching staff, I'm done with this team.

Mike Ferrin of MLB Radio, who works on the TV side I believe for the D-backs, seems to think that Gardenhire learned a lot about analytics the last couple years there. Who knows. This hire does nothing at all for me, but we are going to suck either way so who cares?

35 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

How do we know if we'll be good again?

They'll be good again.  The question is when?  I don't think there is a typical trajectory for a re-building team.  

5 hours ago, Scottwood said:

They will be. I don't know when though.

My only point is that there are 29 other teams that want the same thing and they are not all going to be able to get there.  We probably have a bigger hill to climb given our lack of position prospects.

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

They'll be good again.  The question is when?  I don't think there is a typical trajectory for a re-building team.  

202?.  

9 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

He did very well developing all that talent into a 95 game losing team, I'm now ready to embrace him

A 95 game losing team would be an improvement over the 2017 Tigers.

So, entirely new coaching staff or will there be a few holdovers? 

I think I am ready for new pitching all around, both the guys throwing the ball and the guys telling the guys throwing the ball how to throw the ball.  I don't know which is more culpable for the 7 ERA, but I'm willing to wipe out any of the innocent just for a fresh start.  Except for Fulmer and Greene (unless the trading price is right).