Motor City Sonics

Ron Gardenhire is your new Tiger manager

A bit late for this hire, aren't we? Would've made more sense than Ausmus several years ago.

Satisfying hire, not mind blowing. The right guy to take charge during a rebuild for now, honestly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloridaTigers said:

A bit late for this hire, aren't we? Would've made more sense than Ausmus several years ago.

Satisfying hire, not mind blowing. The right guy to take charge during a rebuild for now, honestly.

Gardenhire was fired after Ausmus first season. 

If this news has been known for about an hour and this is only the sixth post, I’m just guessing that the overall reaction is Meh.  No one is hanging themselves because of it, and nobody is scheduling any parades either. 

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

If this news has been known for about an hour and this is only the sixth post, I’m just guessing that the overall reaction is Meh.  No one is hanging themselves because of it, and nobody is scheduling any parades either. 

Some people where posting in the If Not Ausmus, then who thread.    I figured Gardy needed his own thread now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Gardenhire was fired after Ausmus first season. 

Interesting, thought it was in the same off-season. Not as long as I thought it had been. Cheers 

Just now, IdahoBert said:

Perhaps the low number of posts is precisely due to the large number of (ex-)posters who have, indeed, hanged themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Some people where posting in the If Not Ausmus, then who thread.    I figured Gardy needed his own thread now. 

The hiring of a new manager, for sure. 

My initial reaction to this news was:

"Oh, screw off"

At least I can look forward to him being fired since the team is going to stink anyway

Not an exciting hire.  Hard to think 2018 will be anything but a mess.  

Imagine however that Gardenhire has learned some things about data science.  Imagine that he is ready to go with a new approach. 

Give him a year.  If its a mistake, then at least our kids will be that much closer to being ready.  

The team will not go anywhere for several years. It really doesn't matter if he's the best manager for the job. He can be our ralph houk and that will be fine. If he ends up being better than that, good for everyone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Nice to have an adult in charge.  He seemed to get a lot out of some middling talent in Minny.

He got the Twins to the ALCS before Mauer and Morneau broke into the league and before Santana emerged as an elite ace. Minnesota didn't go out and sign free agents or make big trades. He kept them competing for the playoffs mostly with homegrown talent. This was a team MLB was seriously thinking of getting rid of before he became manager. It isn't the 58-81 record Kapler has a minor league manager 10 years ago, but it's not too bad. 

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Now I know the Tigers are not serious about analytics. 

https://puckettspond.com/2015/02/24/espn-ranks-minnesota-twins-use-analytics-low/

Very first paragraph:

Analytics are a big deal. Numbers never lie. Unless you are Ron Gardenhire who said “Numbers lie a lot. I have a hard time believing all that stuff.”

I just don’t think it matters all that much when it comes to the manager. 

• Like 3

I like numbers and statistics, but I agree that they aren't everything. I respect managers who go with their guts. They aren't always right, but good baseball instincts are valuable and take years to refine. Any bright light who is good with numbers could manage based on stats. That's not the highest and best use of your manager. 

Twins record in Gardenhire's last four years:

63-99 66-96 66-96 70-92

So, he has a lot of experience with terrible teams.  

One possibly good thing about him is that his good teams used to have good bullpens.  I am not sure what that means.  I know it will make Sabertooth giddy.   

I'll be curious if he gets fired right before they become a good team again or if this is a hire they'll stick with as they start hitting their stride.

9 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

I'll be curious if he gets fired right before they become a good team again or if this is a hire they'll stick with as they start hitting their stride.

Reportedly a three year contract. He's here as a grizzled old man to instill good habits in the kids. If, as some have worried, he fails to take advantage of analytics, and it costs them a handful of games during those years, it won't make a difference.

Can he speak Spanish?

• Like 1