djhutch

Expansion Could Trigger Re-Alignment, Longer Postseason

2 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

The prospect of having live baseball games broadcast in French is worth pursuing this.

Oui. 

Okay.  My proposal - now this relies on something that will never ever happen -  New Jersey getting a team.   Not that it could not be supported, it could - there used to be 3 teams in NYC alone and they were all successful but there is no way the Yankees, Mets or Phillies would stand for it - they'd freak out and demand too much buyoff money to allow it - but just play along with me here.    No to Portland. I just don't believe they'd support it.  Now, I understand that baseball appeals to nerds and brainy people, but I just don't see it.    So then where? 

First thing I am doing is moving the Tampa Bay Rays out of Florida and relocating them to Montreal.   Expos had a good fan base that loved baseball and got screwed with a horrible stadium and even horribler owner.  And yes I know horribler is not a word but it is when you are talking about Jeffrey Loria.   To me he's the worst owner in all of sports and if he hadn't shanghaied Miami into paying for that ugly-*** stadium, I'd say move them out too.   Montreal deserves another shot and not with an expansion team.    

Where to expand from there?    Charlotte and New Jersey

Four divisions, 8 teams.  No more pitchers hitting (teams are paying the best pitchers 25 million a year to pitch,  not to get hit by pitches or hurt themselves running the bases.  

East Division 
Boston Red Sox 
Montreal Expos
NJ Trust Fund Babies
NY Mets  
NY Yankees
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates  
Toronto Blue Jays

South Division
Atlanta Braves
Baltimore Orioles
Charlotte Christian Soldiers
Cincinnati Reds
Houston Astros
Miami Marlins
Texas Rangers
Washington Nationals

Central Division
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Natives  
Detroit Tigers
Kansas City Royals  
Milwaukee Brewers  
Minnesota Twins
St. Louis Cardinals

West Division
Arizona Diamondbacks  
Colorado Rockies
Los Angeles Angels
Los Angeles Dodgers
Oakland A's
St. Diego Padres
St. Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners

160 game schedule   6 games vs. each team in another division (3 home/3 away) and that division rotates year to year like the NFL does with their non-conference games.   That is 48 games.  That leaves 112 games - that divides evenly by 7 into 16 games vs. each of your division rivals.    This means every team in the division will have the same schedule every year.   

The playoffs.    For each division the team that wins that division gets a first round bye.   The 2nd and 3rd place teams have to play a Best of 3 - and it has to be in no more than 4 days.   That winner takes on the division champion in a five game series (Only question is - is a layoff good or bad for a team - I say 5 days is not so bad, anything longer would be a slight problem).   It gives the division winner a great advantage because they get to set their rotation and/or heal up from any injuries

Once each division has their champion, the Semi Finals are seeded by record.  So the remaining team with the best regular season record takes on whomever left has the fourth best. 

-OR- once a team wins that division playoff crown they take on the other division champion from the division they played all season.   

I would love to see scheduled doubleheaders again, but the players union would shoot that down.   Maybe a compromise can be made by expanding the rosters to 26 instead of 25 for the whole season, but I doubt the owners want to fork over any extra money.    

Under my system this year - assuming each expansion team wins 65  games

East  (3)
(3) Tampa Bay vs. (2) New York   to take on (1) Boston

South
(3) Texas vs. (2) Washington  to take on (1) Houston

Central 
(3) Miilwaukee vs. (2) Cubs  to take on (1) Cleveland

West
(3) Colorado vs. (2) Arizona to take on (1) Los Angeles

I know there are some teams with losing record that would get in from this season but I think that would be unlikely when everyone has the same strength schedule.    Milwaukee, Tampa and Texas make it,  Minnesota gets screwed.   Who cares, I hate the Twins. 

I want to live in a world where the Expos exist again and we share a division with the Brewers.  I don't want to live in it, though, without the AL and NL playing for the World Series championship.  

• Like 2

Just now, Tenacious D said:

I want to live in a world where the Expos exist again and we share a division with the Brewers.  I don't want to live in it, though, without the AL and NL playing for the World Series championship.  

Maryland and Rutgers are in the Big 10 - the world as you know it is gone.   Get used to it.  Money over Tradition.  Money over Sentiment.  

46 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maryland and Rutgers are in the Big 10 - the world as you know it is gone.   Get used to it.  Money over Tradition.  Money over Sentiment.  

The AL and NL are a lot bigger than Maryland and Rutgers.  There will be changes, but the AL and NL designations will remain.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The AL and NL are a lot bigger than Maryland and Rutgers.  There will be changes, but the AL and NL designations will remain.  

Nothing is bigger than Rutgers...............

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

160 game schedule   6 games vs. each team in another division (3 home/3 away) and that division rotates year to year like the NFL does with their non-conference games.   That is 48 games.  That leaves 112 games - that divides evenly by 7 into 16 games vs. each of your division rivals. 

You only have 15 division rivals as you can't play yourself.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You only have 15 division rivals as you can't play yourself.

Loss.

• Like 1

Supposing 4 divisions of 8, with 16 teams in the AL and 16 in the NL (albeit with the teams regionally located, so it could be as easy as calling it the East and West conference if you will).  Say the East and North are in the AL and the Midwest and West are in the NL.

In division: Play other 7 teams 12 times each: 84 games

Other division, same conference / league: play those 8 teams 6 times each: 48 games

One other division from other league, play 3 times each ( 4 series road, 4 series home)*: 24 games:

*alternates yearly - East plays Midwest and North plays West one season, then East plays West and North plays Midwest the next season.

Total: 156 games

Play-offs: Take 6 from the AL and 6 from the NL.  All division winners get a bye to the Division Series.  The 4 wild cards from each league play a single game to determine who advances to the Division Series against the division winners.

This is a slight modification on the proposal in the OP.  The difference is to play 6 games against teams in the other division of the same conference / league and not play one of the divisions in the other league / conference.  This is done to put more emphasis on the leagues and less on inter-league play. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

One other division from other league, play 3 times each ( 4 series road, 4 series home)*: 24 games:

I'm curious about this, and this isn't necessarily just for you.  I'm kind of interested in what the masses think.

In a scenario like this where there is an option of home & home series against one division which might have to rotate from season to season or facing every team every season, but possibly rotating home series on a yearly basis, which is preferred?

I would rotate, but I prefer to emphasize league play and reduce inter-league play if a set number of teams from each league make the post-season in the hypothetical.

I have real mixed feelings on expansion, knowing how poorly the Marlins and Rays draw.  Even when they have been competitive, they draw weak.  Miami, using $500M in Miami-Dade County money and having to sell bonds to get all the way there, built a state-of-the-art stadium that draws 20K fans per contest.  The Rays draw not quite 16K to its games and badly wants to move/get a new stadium because they blame everything on the location in St. Pete.  Maybe moving the stadium just east of Tampa would allow them to get up to 25K where they can compete with the likes of Minnesota for the 20th-ranked attendance?  Build it and they will come is quite a gamble with tax-payer money, as the Marlins are in the process of finding out.

oimg?key=0AmvzDsdrkl9mdEROS1NnMXRTZG5kLWc3YmVZY2YwM3c&oid=1&zx=vg4jgrpxsh9s

After two WS titles, building arguably the fanciest stadium in MLB, and two generational sluggers in Cabrera and Stanton, Miami is still struggling to get people to watch baseball.

Florida is a baseball haven of sorts, filled with people who love the game.  The Tampa and Miami areas should draw in theory.

I am not really for expansion, nor am I for expanding the playoffs.  Giving the Rays to MTL is fine with me, as I don't see how they could do any worse with attendance and they now become Canada's project to fund.  I'm also not opposed to San Juan getting a team, as at least it would provide some jobs and modernize some infrastructure in the area.  

Whether or not the teams can draw is a problem for owners to worry about.  I don't care.  I like the logical formatting and scheduling scenarios presented by 32 teams.  That is not to say that I expect them to do anything logical.     

15 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I did not think it was difficult to get there via the metro.  It is easier than getting to Fenway.  

I guess I was probably comparing it to Toronto then. The metro just seemed to involve multiple changes to get out there - I guess that's no different from Twickenham though and not much different to Wembley, although London is a way bigger city.

I like it.  Do it.

At the Expos' first game, bring back a bunch of oldtimers and introduce them, just so we can hear the stadium announcer say "John Boccabella" one more time.  Just a hint of a French accent, deep baritone, heavy emphasis on the "Bocc" and the "bell".  Ahhh.  I could listen to it all day.

Yes! The Montreal PA man was the best.  I even liked hearing him pronounce simple names like Gary Carter.  And Youppi was the best mascot hands down.  

montreal-expos-mascot-youppi.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know there are some teams with losing record that would get in

No.  No team with a losing record should make the playoffs.  There needs to be a clause included to disallow that horse ****.  If a team wins a division, they should be replaced by the team with the highest winning percentage that isn't already included in the playoffs.

Why wait for expansion to realign?

SEA CO MIL DET FL
SF AZ MN TOR TB
OAK SL CHC NYY ATL
LAD KC CWS NYM WAS
LAA HOU CLE BOS PHI
SD TX CIN PIT BAL

5 divisions, 6 teams per.  Play each team within the division 18 times (90 games) play a 3 game series against all other 24 teams (72 games; rotate home parks annually) and there's your 162 game schedule.  Get most of the season out of the way before playing the all star game (say at 117 games for everyone) and the final part of the season is all within the division.  Take the division winners and top five wildcards.  Do the silly play in games, reseed for round 1 and then reseed again for round 2.  DH for all or none, I don't care.  Once the Rays move to Montreal, they can swap divisions with Pittsburgh.

SF CO SL MN NYY FL
OAK AZ KC DET NYM TB
LAD SEA CHC TOR BOS ATL
LAA HOU CWS CLE PHI WAS
SD TX MIL CIN PIT BAL

Same kind of theory, but the scheduling changes.  15 games against each of the division mates (60) and 4 games against everybody else (100).  The odd number of teams per division makes the all star scenario I proposed up above to be too difficult.  But same thing for playoffs, take the division winners add in wild cards, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know what you do with Tampa once they move to Montreal.  I prefer the 5 divisions of 6 teams anyway, so, whatever.

38 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why wait for expansion to realign?

SEA CO MIL DET FL
SF AZ MN TOR TB
OAK SL CHC NYY ATL
LAD KC CWS NYM WAS
LAA HOU CLE BOS PHI
SD TX CIN PIT BAL

5 divisions, 6 teams per.  Play each team within the division 18 times (90 games) play a 3 game series against all other 24 teams (72 games; rotate home parks annually) and there's your 162 game schedule.  Get most of the season out of the way before playing the all star game (say at 117 games for everyone) and the final part of the season is all within the division.  Take the division winners and top five wildcards.  Do the silly play in games, reseed for round 1 and then reseed again for round 2.  DH for all or none, I don't care.  Once the Rays move to Montreal, they can swap divisions with Pittsburgh.

SF CO SL MN NYY FL
OAK AZ KC DET NYM TB
LAD SEA CHC TOR BOS ATL
LAA HOU CWS CLE PHI WAS
SD TX MIL CIN PIT BAL

Same kind of theory, but the scheduling changes.  15 games against each of the division mates (60) and 4 games against everybody else (100).  The odd number of teams per division makes the all star scenario I proposed up above to be too difficult.  But same thing for playoffs, take the division winners add in wild cards, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know what you do with Tampa once they move to Montreal.  I prefer the 5 divisions of 6 teams anyway, so, whatever.

That's just terrible