IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Well Law's top 50 came out today and as I suspected Manning didn't make it but to my surprise neither did Faedo so we ended up with only two in his top 100, both of which came in the Astros trade.   Not sure how many of our guys were close to the top 100, I think he releases the "just missed" list tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

At least two, nobody is going to sell Fulmer for a bunch of daz cameron's. It's silly to think that's out there. It would be something like the Sale deal. The white sox did that knowing that Sale is really good, but they think they got a middle of the lineup bat and a young pitcher that they think can be at the front of a rotation, will he? who knows. 

If we deal Fulmer it be something like that where we have a reasonable belief that the headliners are going to be more valuable than one Fulmer. It might not happen. But, if you are scared to take a risk or two (and this one is reasonable) than your rebuild isn't going to work. 

A haul similar to Sale would be compelling, with a can't miss stud positional guy like Moncada, a high upside pitching prospect like Kopech, and two other decent prospects.  Id take it...dont see it happening tho.

24 minutes ago, Casimir said:

How did I miss Nico Goodrum signing with the Tigers in mid November?

I think he's their 25th man,  He's got Gardenhire written all over him.  

21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That's probably a pretty safe assumption.

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

A haul similar to Sale would be compelling, with a can't miss stud positional guy like Moncada, a high upside pitching prospect like Kopech, and two other decent prospects.  Id take it...dont see it happening tho.

at this point, probably not. That is why Fulmer will be starting opening day. But, that's the kind of package I was referring to when I initially responded to you. We aren't trading Fulmer for scarps. it be for a high package with a reasonable risk that two of the four or five would, together, be better than one fulmer. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

OK then, that explains why I've never heard of him until right now.

Just be brutally honest, is there any reason to be excited for Spring Training?  (Other than the weather changing and the beautiful game of baseball being played).   Are there some young guys that could potentially be worth watching or are we in for a looooong 100 loss season? 

12 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Is he a plus fielder?  Or does it just look that way after watching Castellanos?  

Speaking of Castellanos, what position will he play if Jeimer is the 3B? 

13 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Finally, a young 3B that can field the position to a plus and hit.  I would have a tough time trading Jeimer unless it was a can't miss package.

I hope so.  It seemed from the box scores late last year that his arm might be a little bit wild, but maybe that's just footwork that can be corrected.  As far as I know he didn't take any one-hoppers in the stones.  I'd love to see him settle in for the next 10 years and he's young enough that I don't want to trade him.  Overwhelming package, sure, but I'd love to have a solid third baseman.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Candy isn't the catastrophe that Nick was, but I don't see a plus defender in there.

It looks like his range is limited and he can uncork an unsavory toss every now and again.

8 hours ago, RJBBREZ said:

Just be brutally honest, is there any reason to be excited for Spring Training?  (Other than the weather changing and the beautiful game of baseball being played).   Are there some young guys that could potentially be worth watching or are we in for a looooong 100 loss season? 

Going to be lots of new faces to figure out.  Some of the guys acquired via recent trades will be getting some game time, at least early on.

I will measure progress by the nicknames Gardy uses for each player. Fiers will be Fiersy, McCann will be garbage...oh that's my nickname for him.

11 minutes ago, kdog said:

I will measure progress by the nicknames Gardy uses for each player. Fiers will be Fiersy, McCann will be garbage...oh that's my nickname for him.

McGarbageCann?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 10:46 AM, Shelton said:

I’d be less inclined to trade jeimer relative to fulmer. Assuming he pans out, my preference would be to extend a good young position player. For pitchers, it’s harder to stomach committing long term. 

But if jeimer becomes a valuable trade piece and we still have few internal options that can become good players, it makes sense to consider whether you could flip him a few guys that project to be good around the same time the team is projected to be good. 

And if you keep trading our good players that projected good team will keep running away like quicksilver.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

This offseason sucks. 

Only because you traded everyone and they had to bring Inge back just to field a team.

2 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

McGarbageCann?

Sounds like a burger I once ate. 

This offseason feels like the early part of the Lord of the Rings when they don't know how they will get the ring to Mordor, they find out that Saruman is working for Sauron, that Gondor is led by a guy on the brink of madness, that Rohan is led by Saruman's creature Wormtongue.  

Gonna have to skip ahead a bit to get to the good stuff.  

Tigerfest this weekend....

No Miggy

No VMart

No Iglesias

No McCann

I feel bad for people who spent $26 on a ticket.

The fun part for me at those was listening to Dave talk about the farm system.  Now we'll get to hear Al talk about how he can't wait to trade Iglesias and hopes Nick plays well so he can trade him... and boy, just watch and see the prospect haul we'll get for Fulmer if he's healthy... we'll move up to #19 on the lists.