IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Well, they must have gotten an offer they felt was worth it... I really thought that he might have more value at the deadline. I'm curious about the return.

I think it's safe to say that the rebuild has begun.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:08 PM, Nastradamus said:

I don't think that is in any way a reasonable reaction to this trade. Its a fun narrative though

Trade your star player for nothing because you're unwilling to pay to field a contender, and you're not a joke? The Marlins have just had a couple of decades of being owned by a disgusting con man who screwed over everyone in sight and stole millions from the cities that hosted his failure of a organization. If that's not a joke, I don't know what is

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He gone.  Angels.  Don’t know the return yet.

Not so fast, dip****.  Reports are now saying it’s not complete.

Trade is complete:

Tigers get CF Troy Montgomery and RHP Wilkel Hernandez back from Angels in Kinsler deal.

#20 and #24 on mlb pipeline

Montgomery

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 60 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45
In recent drafts, the Angels have sought out athletic college outfielders, often in the later rounds. Jared Foster came in the fifth round of the 2015 Draft and, to a lesser extent, there was Caleb Adams from the 2014 Draft. Montgomery is the next in line, an eighth-rounder from 2016 out of Ohio State who had a terrific pro debut.

Using a very advanced approach at the plate - he walked more than he struck out over three years of college ball - Montgomery made quick work of the Pioneer League and was able to get 38 games in the full-season Midwest League. He makes consistent contact and has some extra-base ability. His plus speed is his standout tool and he likes to put it to good use, bunting for hits often and being aggressive on the basepaths. His speed helps him in the outfield, where he can play above-average defense in all three spots. He has the skills to play center field, but with many other center fielders on the depth chart, he probably will see more time in the corners during his first full season.

The Angels are amassing some interesting outfielders at the lower levels, with Montgomery now joining the likes of Jahmai Jones and Michael Hermosillo. With his advanced approach, he has the chance to move a little more quickly.

Wilkel

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45
The Angels haven't always been aggressive in the international amateur market, but there are some exciting young arms at the lower levels of the system that could develop into the foundation of a new rotation. Hernandez signed for the modest sum of $125,000 out of Venezuela in July 2015. Making his United States debut in 2017, he joined with Jose Soriano to pitch well enough to get promoted from the rookie-level Arizona League up to the Pioneer League.

There is a lot of projection in the teenager's 6-foot-3 frame. Long and wiry, he has a quick arm, though there is work to be done in terms of repeating his delivery and finding the strike zone more consistently. He'll touch 95 mph at times, sitting more in the low-90s with good movement. His breaking ball is also inconsistent, but he shows a feel to spin it and it has the chance to be at least average in time. He's not afraid to throw his changeup and it could give him a third solid offering.

Patience will be necessary to let Hernandez develop, though his ability to miss bats and generate weak contact during his U.S. debut certainly was encouraging. As he refines his command and fills out his frame, he has the chance to shoot up this list.

Josh Norris:

Wilkel Hernandez was one of my favorites from instructs this year. He's a long way away, but the markers are there for him to be very, very good one day.

from microline:

I would define this as a good pull for an aging Kinsler...Hernandez is the key; gobs of potential, but he will also require exceptional patience. He could be very good down the line...as in 4-5 years. Montgomery isn't a significant piece here, but solid as a throw-in.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

from microline:

I would define this as a good pull for an aging Kinsler...Hernandez is the key; gobs of potential, but he will also require exceptional patience. He could be very good down the line...as in 4-5 years. Montgomery isn't a significant piece here, but solid as a throw-in.

Ok, I feel a bit better.  Can someone wake me in 2022-2023?  Thanks

some twitter people wanted the tigers to carry him into 2018 to build his value. I don't see that as being part of the tanking/profit plan. You lose to get draft picks and not pay high salaries to players who will help you win.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

some twitter people wanted the tigers to carry him into 2018 to build his value. I don't see that as being part of the tanking/profit plan. You lose to get draft picks and not pay high salaries to players who will help you win.

I really wanted to believe this was not about money, but amassing the best prospects.  I was wrong.

1 minute ago, calpon said:

2 in rule 5 tomorrow?

Yes.  And a little Burdi told me we should expect a hard throwing reliever on the mend with our first pick.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

I really wanted to believe this was not about money, but amassing the best prospects.  I was wrong.

What did you think was coming back for a 35 year old second baseman in a flooded market? 

Also what's the benefit in keeping him?