IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

46 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Really?  A guy who can play good defense and hit .175?   JaCoby can do that.   Move along folks, there's nothing to see here.  

JaCoby plays elite level defense in CF?

Martin is a good buy low guy. I see no harm in kicking those tires.

Norris: they should have developed some kind of a PR strategy before sneaking that one in there. He's also, independent of last year's mess, a good buy low guy, but if there's a shred of legitimacy to those allegations, it's not worth it.

Having said that, his accepting of the penalty should not be taken as an admission of guilt so much as somebody accepting the penalty at a time that worked out best for him.  Appealing would have dragged into free agency and kept him from employment next year, which frankly should be the result if he did do that anyways.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

If the team is going to suck then I think getting great defenders who are cheap is a good way to keep the team as competitive and entertaining as possible.

Also helps keep young pitchers from throwing too many innings.

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Did people think we would get more out of Everett than we did? He was within normal variance of his career averages in 2009.

Actually Martin is the perfect fit, he can take over Romine's spot as the last man out of the bullpen - 90+ FB in an appearance with the Cubs last season.

He dropped off a lot in 2010 

12 hours ago, Shelton said:

Yeah that would horrible. We might not win the World Series. 

I would like to see a center fielder with elite defense.  Between that and Iglesias at short, it would be entertaining to watch.  I like this signing and actually hoped they would make this kind of move.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I would like to see a center fielder with elite defense.  Between that and Iglesias at short, it would be entertaining to watch.  I like this signing and actually hoped they would make this kind of move.  

The move is fine.

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The move is fine.

I am now following him on twitter.  It's so exciting.  

Tony Paul: Tigers are likely to sign a veteran starting pitcher.  -- back end of the rotation , innings -eater-- and soon, perhaps before the meeting. Don't have a name.

#hackysack

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Go get Nori Aoki.

Don't get my hopes up.  He could show up in the clubhouse with his 2017 World Series ring and lead the Tigers to the promised land.

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

Tony Paul: Tigers are likely to sign a veteran starting pitcher.  -- back end of the rotation , innings -eater-- and soon, perhaps before the meeting. Don't have a name.

#hackysack

Mike Pelfrey?

Tigers assistant general manager David Chadd has known Norris from high school. He’s a Kansas native; Chadd has deep Kansas ties.

“When we consulted with (MLB), they were like, ‘The guy served his penalty, he should be able to sign, that’s the way the process works,’” Avila told The News. “We do know the guy, David Chadd has known the guy for a long time, he knows the father, he knows the issue.

“We signed a good kid.”

Avila defends Norris signing

I cannot recall the exact details of Cabrera's incident.  Would it have resulted in something similar to what Norris received?

1 hour ago, kdog said:

#hackysack

Everyone at that paper is a hack. 

What is Kenny Rodgers, Bill Gullickson or Walt Terrell  doing these days anyway?  Can Brandon Inge still play some outfield?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I cannot recall the exact details of Cabrera's incident.  Would it have resulted in something similar to what Norris received?

If I’m correct here, Norris has denied any wrong doing from the beginning. As I recall, there was never any denial from Cabrera on his incident. I don’t know if these two incidents are truly comparable. Feel free anyone to correct me if I am incorrect on this.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Probably not. I recall there was a domestic altercation, but I think it was his wife that hit him. Is there an alcohol abuse policy now?

No one really knows the details of the Norris incident. I don’t particularly like the idea of signing him given the allegations, though. 

I’m not suggesting that he shouldn’t be able to get another job in MLB because of it. I just don’t want it to be my team. 

35 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If I’m correct here, Norris has denied any wrong doing from the beginning. As I recall, there was never any denial from Cabrera on his incident. I don’t know if these two incidents are truly comparable. Feel free anyone to correct me if I am incorrect on this.

Denial means nothing to me in this situation. 

Just now, Shelton said:

Denial means nothing to me in this situation. 

Has the claim/ allegation been proven to be true in Norris’ case? 

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Has the claim/ allegation been proven to be true in Norris’ case? 

No? Have the claims against Harvey Weinstein or the like been proven to be true? I’m not suggesting putting Norris in jail. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

No? Have the claims against Harvey Weinstein or the like been proven to be true? I’m not suggesting putting Norris in jail. 

Going back to my initial comment on this, I don’t believe Cabrera ever denied having serious domestic problems when it was a news item. I think alcohol was a part of the whole saga at the time as well.

My point is, in response to Cas’ question, I don’t think the two incidents can be judged the same. There is no evidence that I am aware of that Norris actually did what he is accused of. I’m not saying it didn’t happen. In Miggie’s case there never was, at least publicly, any question as to whether or not issues existed.

47 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Going back to my initial comment on this, I don’t believe Cabrera ever denied having serious domestic problems when it was a news item. I think alcohol was a part of the whole saga at the time as well.

My point is, in response to Cas’ question, I don’t think the two incidents can be judged the same. There is no evidence that I am aware of that Norris actually did what he is accused of. I’m not saying it didn’t happen. In Miggie’s case there never was, at least publicly, any question as to whether or not issues existed.

This is weird and I’m not following. That’s ok. 

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He dropped off a lot in 2010 

true, but we only signed him for a year in 2009 and only for $1M so it wasn't like they made any kind of investment in him when they signed him. The end of his career was pretty odd though - I sort of assumed he suffered some kind of injury early in 2010 that he just didn't talk about - he didn't catch on to any other team after we cut him in 2010 or try for a ML gig. Came back briefly for the Indians in 2011 and then the same. It was like he either didn't really want to play anymore - had some better fall-back than the ML/MiLB minimums, or just knew he couldn't play anymore for some reason.