Jump to content

IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Recommended Posts

It's happening.  The Tigers equipment truck is heading south today. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's happening.  The Tigers equipment truck is heading south today. 

The team headed south last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wondered what the projected war for this team would be if we hadn’t sold anyone last year and then said to **** with the luxury tax and re-signed JD. Looking at the fangraphs depth charts:

catcher 2.4

1B 2.5

SS 2.1

3B 1.3

2b kinsler 2.5

lf upton 2.3

cf 1.0

rf JD 2.7

thats 17 war from the position players 

verlander is 3.7 war, which if he replaced Fiers would put our starters at 11 war

bullpen would be no better than 2 war

so that’s a total of 30 war. Right now we are at 21.4. We’d still be about 10 wins short of a wild card spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I just wondered what the projected war for this team would be if we hadn’t sold anyone last year and then said to **** with the luxury tax and re-signed JD. Looking at the fangraphs depth charts:

catcher 2.4

1B 2.5

SS 2.1

3B 1.3

2b kinsler 2.5

lf upton 2.3

cf 1.0

rf JD 2.7

thats 17 war from the position players 

verlander is 3.7 war, which if he replaced Fiers would put our starters at 11 war

bullpen would be no better than 2 war

so that’s a total of 30 war. Right now we are at 21.4. We’d still be about 10 wins short of a wild card spot. 

Good analysis.  I think it shows that they did the right thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 12:36 PM, Oblong said:

Tigerfest this weekend....

No Miggy

No VMart

No Iglesias

No McCann

I feel bad for people who spent $26 on a ticket.

The fun part for me at those was listening to Dave talk about the farm system.  Now we'll get to hear Al talk about how he can't wait to trade Iglesias and hopes Nick plays well so he can trade him... and boy, just watch and see the prospect haul we'll get for Fulmer if he's healthy... we'll move up to #19 on the lists.

 

This made me laugh, thanks.    I cannot see how trading away every single player with talent is a good thing, but what do I know?  I wouldn't mind seeing Iglesias gone though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shelton said:

I thought it was a good deal for Milwaukee. The Yelich trade is the one that I question a bit. I think they could have used those prospects to acquire some pitching instead. But if Braun can play 1B then I like the Yelich deal a bit more. 

5 years and $80 Million is too much for Cain regardless. And he's 31 in April.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

5 years and $80 Million is too much for Cain regardless. And he's 31 in April.

Agreed, that's a bad contract right from the start.  As for Yelich, I really like him and I don't know enough about the Brewers' prospects to have an opinion about whether or not they overpaid for him.  But if you asked me "Do you want Yelich on your team?", I'd say "yes, absolutely".  If you asked me "Do you want Cain on your team?" I'd say "no, not really, not unless it's short term for really cheap money".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

5 years and $80 Million is too much for Cain regardless. And he's 31 in April.

I disagree with the first sentence. Your second sentence is true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, irvink said:

MLB Pipeline has their list of prospects who just missed the top hundred. Jim Callis has Jake Rogers on his list.

So from BA, Pipeline and Law, that's 7 Tigers prospects who made the top hundred or just missed.

Perez - Top 100 on BA, Law, Pipeline

Faedo -Top 100 on BA, Pipeline

Manning - Top 100 on BA, Pipeline

Burrows - Top 100 on Pipeline, on the BA podcast the guys said he just missed.

Daz - Top 100 on Law

Hill  - just missed on Law

Rogers - just missed on Pipeline

 

https://www.mlb.com/news/12-prospects-who-just-missed-the-top-100-list/c-265553816?tid=151437456

 

 

 

Jake Rogers is the one guy I've been most interested in seeing come up. The guy profiles, at his very top end, as Bill Freehan: superb defense, decent on base skills, good pop. He along with Candelario were the only prospects the Tigers traded for to rate a KATOH+ ranking mid-last year. If Jake even ends up as good as Jody Davis or Charles Johnson, that would be a big, big win.

Plus he's got a name that totally belongs in the movie Major League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Jake Rogers is the one guy I've been most interested in seeing come up. The guy profiles, at his very top end, as Bill Freehan: superb defense, decent on base skills, good pop. He along with Candelario were the only prospects the Tigers traded for to rate a KATOH+ ranking mid-last year. If Jake even ends up as good as Jody Davis or Charles Johnson, that would be a big, big win.

Plus he's got a name that totally belongs in the movie Major League.

With a name like Jake Rogers, he was born to be an athlete.

Seriously though, I agree that he is a very interesting prospect.  I like what I am hearing about his defense and he appears to have some power.  You don't need much more from a catcher.       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the Brewers are doing.

Trading for Yelich and signing Cain are odd win-now moves for a team still lacking in so many areas. Sure, they've got Ryan Braun and a really good (great?) bullpen, but their catcher and most of their infield are bottom ten in Baseball, and their rotation doesn't have the horses to carry a contender for a whole year, never mind October. I don't see how they can win with what they have now.

I don't know what other moves they can make that will close the gap between them and the Cubs and Cardinals, but even if they make a top of the rotation move (Chris Archer?) and, I don't know, maybe trade for a right-side infield All-Star, they'll have to win a lot of one-run ballgames to get close to sniffing the postseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don't know what the Brewers are doing.

Trading for Yelich and signing Cain are odd win-now moves for a team still lacking in so many areas. Sure, they've got Ryan Braun and a really good (great?) bullpen, but their catcher and most of their infield are bottom ten in Baseball, and their rotation doesn't have the horses to carry a contender for a whole year, never mind October. I don't see how they can win with what they have now.

I don't know what other moves they can make that will close the gap between them and the Cubs and Cardinals, but even if they make a top of the rotation move (Chris Archer?) and, I don't know, maybe trade for a right-side infield All-Star, they'll have to win a lot of one-run ballgames to get close to sniffing the postseason.

I have to think that they are committed to signing one of the big free agent starters. You don’t sign Cain and trade assets for Yelich if you aren’t willing to make the other moves necessary to cement your status as a contender. 

It’s been reported that they are a serious suitor for darvish. They are probably interested in arrieta and Cobb, too. 

Their great bullpen also gives them a chance to win more than their share of close games. 

I said earlier that I didn’t agree necessarily with trading for Yelich, but if they are committed to spending money to improve the rotation, then it’s fine. They don’t need to trade Santana. Having four good outfielders, two of which can play CF (Cain and Yelich), and one of which (Braun) that can play some 1B, gives them a lot of flexibility and a good bench (and an option to play DH when they go on the road to AL parks).

no doubt, they need to address the rotation, and I think it’s a lock that sign a free agent there. They might be able to make a move to address second base, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I have to think that they are committed to signing one of the big free agent starters. You don’t sign Cain and trade assets for Yelich if you aren’t willing to make the other moves necessary to cement your status as a contender. 

It’s been reported that they are a serious suitor for darvish. They are probably interested in arrieta and Cobb, too. 

Their great bullpen also gives them a chance to win more than their share of close games. 

I said earlier that I didn’t agree necessarily with trading for Yelich, but if they are committed to spending money to improve the rotation, then it’s fine. They don’t need to trade Santana. Having four good outfielders, two of which can play CF (Cain and Yelich), and one of which (Braun) that can play some 1B, gives them a lot of flexibility and a good bench (and an option to play DH when they go on the road to AL parks).

no doubt, they need to address the rotation, and I think it’s a lock that sign a free agent there. They might be able to make a move to address second base, too. 

Is one enough? Say they sign or trade for a frontline pitcher (aka Stud). That means their rotation is:

  • Stud
  • Nelson (they hope, after June)
  • Anderson
  • Davies
  • Chacin

Or maybe Gallardo gets up off the mat and pitches his way into relevance.

Any way you cut it, even if you put Darvish atop that rotation, that's not going to get them through October unless they do some serious bullpenning. That might not even get them to October. They would have to sign another 1 or 2 for the rotation, or hope one falls in their lap in July or August for cheap, given their (at the moment) less-than-stellar prospect base.

I'm not saying that their going for it is wrong. After all, there are a ton of teams, too many teams, in tank mode competing for the title of Best Rebuild of the Late 2010s/Early 2020s, and "the Crew" have a multiple All-Star lifer who doesn't have time to go through another rebuild. All I'm saying is, even picking up two studs for the front of the rotation, a lot of things are going to have to go right for them to move into and then through the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is one enough? Say they sign or trade for a frontline pitcher (aka Stud). That means their rotation is:

  • Stud
  • Nelson (they hope, after June)
  • Anderson
  • Davies
  • Chacin

Or maybe Gallardo gets up off the mat and pitches his way into relevance.

Any way you cut it, even if you put Darvish atop that rotation, that's not going to get them through October unless they do some serious bullpenning. That might not even get them to October. They would have to sign another 1 or 2 for the rotation, or hope one falls in their lap in July or August for cheap, given their (at the moment) less-than-stellar prospect base.

I'm not saying that their going for it is wrong. After all, there are a ton of teams, too many teams, in tank mode competing for the title of Best Rebuild of the Late 2010s/Early 2020s, and "the Crew" have a multiple All-Star lifer who doesn't have time to go through another rebuild. All I'm saying is, even picking up two studs for the front of the rotation, a lot of things are going to have to go right for them to move into and then through the playoffs.

No real disagreement here. I think adding Darvish for example would be enough to keep them in the playoff race. If the bullpen steps up and keeps them in it, they could buy at the deadline. 

As for October, darvish and Nelson would be a pretty decent 1-2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That depends on whether the real Jimmy Nelson is the guy from 2017, the guy from before that, or a post-injury casualty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That depends on whether the real Jimmy Nelson is the guy from 2017, the guy from before that, or a post-injury casualty. 

Or whether he is a werewolf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tiger337 said:

With a name like Jake Rogers, he was born to be an athlete.

Seriously though, I agree that he is a very interesting prospect.  I like what I am hearing about his defense and he appears to have some power.  You don't need much more from a catcher.       

 

Very true. Defense and hitting for power would be great from most positions.

It sure will be great talking baseball again and forgetting all the other problems. I may just boycott the political forum. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heyman

Quote

DETROIT TIGERS

  • GM Al Avila was there to watch University of Florida star Brady Singer this week since he was in the neighborhood anyway (the Tigers train in Lakeland, Fla., not too far away from UF). It’s early, but Singer may be the favorite to go first overall in the June draft and the Tigers have the No. 1 pick. They have started to stockpile talented young arms (Alex Faedo, Franklin Perez, Matt Manning, Beau Burrows), and Singer is a stud. Tigers people are said to have been impressed, though he allowed a homer and hit two batters in 3.2 innings in the intra-squad game. Anyway, it’s early in the draft game, and Avila will see all the possible No. 1s before the draft.
  • Nick Castellanos told Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press that he expects to stay with the team, though it is obviously rebuilding.
  • Ex-pitcher Kip Wells (Baylor grad) is interested in an analytics position with a team. It would be interesting to see a former player in such a role (obviously, he’d add a scouting element as well).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after the rush to dump all the high-priced All-Star-level talent in a hurry so we can rebuild—J. D. Martinez, Alex Avila, Justin Wilson, Justin Upton, Ian Kinsler, and our crown jewel, Justin Verlander—we have gotten enough back in prospect talent to elevate our ranking among farm systems from 25th to ...

... drum roll, please ...

21st.

2018 ORGANIZATIONAL TALENT RANKINGS: Baseball America

To which I say:

5a73a7c51885b_BravoColbert.gif.1f0b8677d872a972fa4b54bbf2f022b8.gif

Bravo.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So after the rush to dump all the high-priced All-Star-level talent in a hurry so we can rebuild—J. D. Martinez, Alex Avila, Justin Wilson, Justin Upton, Ian Kinsler, and our crown jewel, Justin Verlander—we have gotten enough back in prospect talent to elevate our ranking among farm systems from 25th to ...

... drum roll, please ...

21st.

2018 ORGANIZATIONAL TALENT RANKINGS: Baseball America

To which I say:

 

Bravo.

 

 

Doesn't that indicate they had nothing beyond a few mid-tier prospects? I would guess they started 2016 at 28 or 29.  Based on the #1 pick and the bonus pool they have for July 2nd, the system should climb to at least the top 15. But you don't move to the upper echelon until you have multiple high end prospects.

Fwiw, the Tigers were #25 in 2016 and 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 1:29 PM, tiger337 said:

It's happening.  The Tigers equipment truck is heading south today. 

 

 

 

69BF2EE0-59D3-4938-BEF5-61B598FC6CC9.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×