IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

45 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

true, but we only signed him for a year in 2009 and only for $1M so it wasn't like they made any kind of investment in him when they signed him. The end of his career was pretty odd though - I sort of assumed he suffered some kind of injury early in 2010 that he just didn't talk about - he didn't catch on to any other team after we cut him in 2010 or try for a ML gig. Came back briefly for the Indians in 2011 and then the same. It was like he either didn't really want to play anymore - had some better fall-back than the ML/MiLB minimums, or just knew he couldn't play anymore for some reason.

I just meant that Everett was once elite and then quickly dropped off, not that he was a bad pickup.  

Twins sold $1 million each to Seattle and LA Angels for prospects:

#Twins, in trades with #Mariners and #Angels, used int’l slot money they had reserved for Ohtani to acquire two prospects from first five rounds of 2017 draft. Shrewd.

#Mariners now up to $2.55M in int’l slot money, #Angels $2.315M, per @JeffFletcherOCR. #Rangers at $3.535M, while each of four NL clubs - #Cubs, #Dodgers, #SFGiants, #Padres - is capped at $300K.

Ohtani sweepstakes. The Tigers aren't advanced enough to sell slot money for prospects.

Not sure where to put this, but it is the off season.

I spun up an ESPN3 basketball game tonight between the U of Toledo and Detroit Mercy. One of the home game announcers was our very own Dan Dickerson.  Not surprisingly, he was pretty good.

What a treasure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, screwball said:

I spun up an ESPN3 basketball game tonight between the U of Toledo and Detroit Mercy. One of the home game announcers was our very own Dan Dickerson.  Not surprisingly, he was pretty good.

What a treasure.

I've seen/heard Dickerson broadcasting Ohio State - Michigan hockey games on FSD the past couple of seasons.

Doesn't Impemba broadcast Oakland basketball games?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I've seen/heard Dickerson broadcasting Ohio State - Michigan hockey games on FSD the past couple of seasons.

Doesn't Impemba broadcast Oakland basketball games?

I don't know about Mario.

I was surprised to see Dan on ESPN3.  Guess a guys gotta do something in the off season.

10 hours ago, kdog said:

#Twins, in trades with #Mariners and #Angels, used int’l slot money they had reserved for Ohtani to acquire two prospects from first five rounds of 2017 draft. Shrewd.

#Mariners now up to $2.55M in int’l slot money, #Angels $2.315M, per @JeffFletcherOCR. #Rangers at $3.535M, while each of four NL clubs - #Cubs, #Dodgers, #SFGiants, #Padres - is capped at $300K.

Ohtani sweepstakes. The Tigers aren't advanced enough to sell slot money for prospects.

Tigers already spent their slot money on Alvaro Gonzalez, Pedro Jr., and others.

41 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Tigers already spent their slot money on Alvaro Gonzalez, Pedro Jr., and others.

ok that makes sense.

1 hour ago, screwball said:

I don't know about Mario.

I was surprised to see Dan on ESPN3.  Guess a guys gotta do something in the off season.

Mario does do the Oakland games.  Hearing DD on the Titans games always brightens me up a little.  

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

Mario does do the Oakland games.  Hearing DD on the Titans games always brightens me up a little.  

Thanks.  I did watch the Toledo/Oakland game but they had Toledo announcers for that feed (on ESPN3).

14 hours ago, screwball said:

What a treasure.

Dickerson is tremendous.  He might be good enough to make me watch a Toledo/ Detroit Mercy game!

14 hours ago, kdog said:

The Tigers are slated to acquire two top talents next year.  Pearson is a nice pickup but a similar player can be drafted in the draft.  You should get more upside with international players. 

44 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Caesar must have determined that Kansas-born catchers are an undervalued asset.

Caesar said he's a good kid. 

59 minutes ago, kdog said:

Caesar said he's a good kid. 

Caesar knew Derek Norris’s dad.

the last pro scout that Al credited to Dave chadd was Big Pelf. Thank goodness it's only a minor league deal.

I would rather the Tigers sign someone who can slug a lot of dingers.

It's fun to imagine webgems and great defense in CF, but when you have to watch Martin trot his .280 OBP out into the leadoff spot for a Ron Gardenhire managed team all year it's not going to be fun

5 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I would rather the Tigers sign someone who can slug a lot of dingers.

It's fun to imagine webgems and great defense in CF, but when you have to watch Martin trot his .280 OBP out into the leadoff spot for a Ron Gardenhire managed team all year it's not going to be fun

You're so right, he's absolutely leading off.  Black center fielder, where the heck else would he bat?  He's our big international signing this off-season.

Seriously, assuming kinsler is traded, who is going to bat lead off for this team?

at the moment I would think something like this:

mahtook

jeimer

cabrera

castellanos

but after that is there anyone even remotely capable of batting fifth and being reasonably productive? 

Victor

Mccann

martin

iglesias

machado

Woof. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Seriously, assuming kinsler is traded, who is going to bat lead off for this team?

at the moment I would think something like this:

mahtook

jeimer

cabrera

castellanos

but after that is there anyone even remotely capable of batting fifth and being reasonably productive? 

Victor

Mccann

martin

iglesias

machado

Woof. 

Ugly.

Does it really matter who leads off next season?  It’s going to be an awful season.

I think Shelton’s top 4 can be etched in stone.  After that, who knows.

10 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Does it really matter who leads off next season?  It’s going to be an awful season.

I think Shelton’s top 4 can be etched in stone.  After that, who knows.

Cabrera can bat leadoff........he'll get more at bats that way.    :)