Jump to content

IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Walewander said:

And the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy all year. 

Does this explain the I75 construction south of the ball yard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

I submit to you that personal interest stories about Deuce are ok.  Speaking of which, this reminds me of the time when Deuce was drafted.  He could have gone out with any girl in town, but he had his eye on Martha, the young librarian and Sunday school teacher.  Martha, who was pretty in spite of her thick glasses, didn't date and rebuffed all advances.  Deuce, of course, played it cool.  He would hang around the library parking lot at closing time, smoking and working on his motorcycle.  He ignored Martha when she left the library.  One day, while she was walking by, Deuce asked her for a cigarette.  Martha didn't smoke.  She stopped and stared at him, disarmed and mute.  After a moment, Deuce said "it's alright.  I'll just roll one."  And he did as Martha walked away.  

The next day, Deuce approached Martha at the library reference desk and asked her for a copy of Romeo and Juliet.  Martha rode home on the back of Deuce's bike that night, but not before a stop at Blueberry Hill.

Deuce never spoke to Martha again.

Martha now resides in Toledo where she has season tickets to the Mudhens and a heart full of hope.

You're right, the personal details about Jim Adduci are OK.  No one else though.

That Martha story has sort of an Eleanor Rigby feel to it.  "Deuce never spoke to Martha again".  That's a Pulitzer for non-fiction right there, in one sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I submit to you the personal interest stories about the Deuce alone made 2017 more enjoyable than a number of disappointing Tiger seasons in my lifetime.

Getting the #1 overall pick was the cherry on top.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 8:06 PM, 1776 said:

If I'm rolling out big bucks to attend a large number of Tiger games and this guy has his mind elsewhere because of personal issues and his performance is in decline, it is a problem that is beyond his home. His drinking issue several years ago is a case in point. He was having problems at home and at the park because of his issues with alcohol. He's too high profile in his profession to get a pass. He'd be the first one to say as much. He's creating his own bad news, nobody is doing this for him. 

This is why I hated to see a guy like JV get moved. JV was always a solid citizen that understood the expectations of his profession and made his fans proud. 

I wish the Tigers could move Cabrera but that ain't about to happen. 

If.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Mrs Aducci is a saint. 

Two little known facts:

1) Her snickerdoodle cookies always sold out at the school baked goods fundraisers and

2) Deuce had lined up a personal loan from Miguel Cabrera to buy her a home and get away from Sr.  But she refused the home, choosing to stay with Sr. and help him with his personal demons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

1) Her snickerdoodle cookies always sold old at the school baked goods fundraisers and

 

And she'd always be at the fundraisers even though little Jimmy was usually suspended or expelled at the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Casimir said:

Does this explain the I75 construction south of the ball yard?

Yes, I don't think that portion of I-75 is rated for Rondon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for personal connections, a counselor at my kid’s school is Charlie Gehringer’s niece.  She moved to Boise several years ago.  When she saw me wearing a Tigers warm-up jacket one day she stopped and talked to me about her connection to the team.  She is drop dead gorgeous, smart and very funny, and 30 years too young for me. Heck.  So close yet so far. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

As for personal connections, a counselor at my kid’s school is Charlie Gehringer’s niece.  She moved to Boise several years ago.  When she saw me wearing a Tigers warm-up jacket one day she stopped and talked to me about her connection to the team.  She is drop dead gorgeous, smart and very funny, and 30 years too young for me. Heck.  So close yet so far. 

Have her call KL2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

As for personal connections, a counselor at my kid’s school is Charlie Gehringer’s niece.  She moved to Boise several years ago.  When she saw me wearing a Tigers warm-up jacket one day she stopped and talked to me about her connection to the team.  She is drop dead gorgeous, smart and very funny, and 30 years too young for me. Heck.  So close yet so far. 

How old are you?  100?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

As for personal connections, a counselor at my kid’s school is Charlie Gehringer’s niece.  She moved to Boise several years ago.  When she saw me wearing a Tigers warm-up jacket one day she stopped and talked to me about her connection to the team.  She is drop dead gorgeous, smart and very funny, and 30 years too young for me. Heck.  So close yet so far. 

I wonder if she called him Uncle Charlie or Uncle Mechanical Man?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How old are you?  100?

I’m in my 60s she’s in her 30s. Charlie was one of her great-grandfather’s sons. Charlie died 1993 so she knew him when she was little kid.  It was really touching to hear her talk about him and going to Opening Day. 

It’s odd, but I have met a half dozen people in Idaho - mostly women - who grew up in Detroit and it’s endearing how this lump in the throat affection for the Tigers flicks on when they meet someone out here that reminds them of it. The team often means little to them today, but it meant something to them as kids or to people they loved, and their voices change when they talk about it, almost as if they were discussing a family relic they can never cast away. It’s like cookies and milk on a checkered tablecloth on a summer afternoon. How can you ever stop loving that.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

 The team often means little to them today, but it meant something to them as kids or to people they loved, and their voices change when they talk about it, almost as if they were discussing a family relic they can never cast away. It’s like cookies and milk on a checkered tablecloth on a summer afternoon. How can you ever stop loving that.  

Eat your heart out James Earl Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually i doubt the Toledo-Detroit shuttle will be all that busy next season, my bet is they pick up some bargain-basement clearance-sale castoff free agents during the offseason to patch up the lineup, and by and large they'll sink or swim (mostly sink) with those guys.

For instance, say over the winter they deal off Kinsler and VMart retires. To fill the gaps they sign Omar Infante and Curtis Granderson.

So by Memorial Day both those guys are hitting .240 and the team is 20-36 and 10 games off the pace. Normally you'd probably go out and get somebody, but who are they gonna get at midseason who will be much of an improvement?

I think the real action will be between the Class A teams and Erie. They will have to watch the temptation to jump those guys a level higher than they ought to be. If Daz Cameron is hitting .315 on Memorial Day at West Michigan, it'll be real tempting to send him up to AA -- especially if the outfield at Comerica looks like a disaster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m in my 60s she’s in her 30s.

You might still qualify.  Divide your age by two and then add seven to get the age of the youngest woman you can date.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

You might still qualify.  Divide your age by two and then add seven to get the age of the youngest woman you can date.  

That sounds like the formula for an illusionist’s pick a card trick. 39.5.  I haven’t noticed any of those “Russian girls want to date you” ads on the site lately.  Maybe I should pay closer attention.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

That sounds like the formula for an illusionist’s pick a card trick. 39.5.  I haven’t noticed any of those “Russian girls want to date you” ads on the site lately.  Maybe I should pay closer attention.  

They're only interested in you in an election year ;-)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

That sounds like the formula for an illusionist’s pick a card trick. 39.5.  I haven’t noticed any of those “Russian girls want to date you” ads on the site lately.  Maybe I should pay closer attention.  

That's odd, I'm still seeing lots of them.  Lots of other porn-related stuff too.  Huh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

They're only interested in you in an election year ;-)

That's fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tigers should liven up next year's bad team with some sort of "first ever" type of player. Like, the first ever player to wear a chicken suit at all times the entire season. Or the first ever 500 pound player.

Keep the fans entertained

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TJ_TJ said:

Actually i doubt the Toledo-Detroit shuttle will be all that busy next season, my bet is they pick up some bargain-basement clearance-sale castoff free agents during the offseason to patch up the lineup, and by and large they'll sink or swim (mostly sink) with those guys.

For instance, say over the winter they deal off Kinsler and VMart retires. To fill the gaps they sign Omar Infante and Curtis Granderson.

So by Memorial Day both those guys are hitting .240 and the team is 20-36 and 10 games off the pace. Normally you'd probably go out and get somebody, but who are they gonna get at midseason who will be much of an improvement?

I think the real action will be between the Class A teams and Erie. They will have to watch the temptation to jump those guys a level higher than they ought to be. If Daz Cameron is hitting .315 on Memorial Day at West Michigan, it'll be real tempting to send him up to AA -- especially if the outfield at Comerica looks like a disaster.

If Daz Cameron sniffs West Michigan this season, I'll be bummed.  He should be on Lakeland's team coming out of spring training.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Daz Cameron sniffs West Michigan this season, I'll be bummed.  He should be on Lakeland's team coming out of spring training.  

Yeah he already has done 1 year and 2 months at A-. The interesting issue is Hill and Cameron should both start at Lakeland so I assume Daz will get shifted to RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Yeah he already has done 1 year and 2 months at A-. The interesting issue is Hill and Cameron should both start at Lakeland so I assume Daz will get shifted to RF.

 I agree--maybe LF, assuming they are on a similar trajectory to Detroit.  I think his speed and defense would play better in LF at Comerica.

I could play the third outfield spot and it would still be the best defensive group in High A next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      95,488
    • Total Posts
      2,719,647
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×