Jump to content

IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Recommended Posts

So this was a hack Tony Paul job, eh?

mark me down as one that doesn’t think this is newsworthy. These writers know quite a bit about the personal lives of the players they cover and don’t report on it. 

Cabrera is the “star” of the team now, of course, but he isn’t exactly out there living the celebrity life. He’s not Jeter or Arod or even David Ortiz. 

If Us Weekly wants to a run a story like this, fine. I just don’t see how this is a relevant story for a baseball player that keeps to himself. His drinking episodes were a different story. But he appears to be dealing with those demons (rest assured that the media would be quick to report any relapse).

Being sued for child support is a nothing story. It adds no value, and if anything paints the subject in a negative light, and for what reason? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cabrera's attorneys asked to keep the case confidential.  Florida denied that.

I was wrong, they were not FOIA.  Public records.  But that really changes little.  If Cabrera's team issued a press release or had a conference then it's news.  This is a private dispute.  The News covering it is tabloidish.

And yes, since it's Paul.. I'll "go there".  What if the athlete in question was gay but not out of the closet.  What if some similar legal proceedings went on and buried in the documents was the revelation that the athlete was gay. Would Paul write the story and try to get it published?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to know about their private lives at all, before or after their careers, unless it is something so outrageous, such as Chad Curtis, that everyone should know about it as a matter of public safety.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early Opening Day Roster prediction, subject to change and totally uninformed.

Kinsler 2B (traded later)

Mahtook CF

Cabrera 1B

Castellanos RF

Candelario 3B

Granderson LF/DH (traded later)

Christen Stewart DH/LF

McCann C

Iglesias SS (traded later)

-

Hicks C/1B

Presley OF

Machado IF

Romine UT

-

Fulmer

Zimmerman

Boyd

Norris

Matt Garza (betting on his health finally cooperating, traded later)

-

Drew Storen (traded later)

Bryan Garcia 

Hardy

Stumpf

Bell

Wilson 

Greene (traded later)

-

And the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy all year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Cabrera's attorneys asked to keep the case confidential.  Florida denied that.

I was wrong, they were not FOIA.  Public records.  But that really changes little.  If Cabrera's team issued a press release or had a conference then it's news.  This is a private dispute.  The News covering it is tabloidish.

And yes, since it's Paul.. I'll "go there".  What if the athlete in question was gay but not out of the closet.  What if some similar legal proceedings went on and buried in the documents was the revelation that the athlete was gay. Would Paul write the story and try to get it published?

 

 

Good question. I don’t think he would include that detail. But at the same time, as soon as you write an article based on a public legal proceeding, the information would come out. So, would Paul write the story, knowing that people would read the court document and see that detail? Who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walewander said:

Early Opening Day Roster prediction, subject to change and totally uninformed.

Christen Stewart DH/LF

Drew Storen (traded later)

And the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy all year. 

Storen will miss 2018 with TJ injury

No need to start the service time clock on Christin Stewart in April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walewander said:

Early Opening Day Roster prediction, subject to change and totally uninformed.

Kinsler 2B (traded later)

Mahtook CF

Cabrera 1B

Castellanos RF

Candelario 3B

Granderson LF/DH (traded later)

Christen Stewart DH/LF

McCann C

Iglesias SS (traded later)

-

Hicks C/1B

Presley OF

Machado IF

Romine UT

-

Fulmer

Zimmerman

Boyd

Norris

Matt Garza (betting on his health finally cooperating, traded later)

-

Drew Storen (traded later)

Bryan Garcia 

Hardy

Stumpf

Bell

Wilson 

Greene (traded later)

-

And the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy all year. 

Fun. 

Mahtook LF

Jeimer 3B

Castellanos RF

Cabrera DH

Hicks 1B

McCann C

JaCoby CF

Machado 2B

Iglesias SS

 

bench

Holaday

Presley

Romine

Aducci

 

Fulmer

Norris

Boyd

Fister 

Zimmermann

 

Greene

Wilson

Saupold

Bell

Stumpf

Lewicki

Farmer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Fun. 

Mahtook LF

Jeimer 3B

Castellanos RF

Cabrera DH

Hicks 1B

McCann C

JaCoby CF

Machado 2B

Iglesias SS

 

bench

Holaday

Presley

Romine

Aducci

 

Fulmer

Norris

Boyd

Fister 

Zimmermann

 

Greene

Wilson

Saupold

Bell

Stumpf

Lewicki

Farmer

 

Why are we on a first name basis with Jacoby Jones?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walewander said:

Early Opening Day Roster prediction, subject to change and totally uninformed.

Kinsler 2B (traded later)

Mahtook CF

Cabrera 1B

Castellanos RF

Candelario 3B

Granderson LF/DH (traded later)

Christen Stewart DH/LF

McCann C

Iglesias SS (traded later)

-

Hicks C/1B

Presley OF

Machado IF

Romine UT

-

Fulmer

Zimmerman

Boyd

Norris

Matt Garza (betting on his health finally cooperating, traded later)

-

Drew Storen (traded later)

Bryan Garcia 

Hardy

Stumpf

Bell

Wilson 

Greene (traded later)

-

And the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy all year. 

How dare you interrupt our “who da baby daddy” discussion with something that pertains to baseball. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Good question. I don’t think he would include that detail. But at the same time, as soon as you write an article based on a public legal proceeding, the information would come out. So, would Paul write the story, knowing that people would read the court document and see that detail? Who knows. 

Or would he have empathy for his secret and let sleeping dogs lie?   To me being gay and having an affair are similar things in the sense that it's a part of your life that you may not wish to share.  Obviously there's moral/ethical grounds in a married man having an affair but I think society is a little beyond that.  I'm not saying being gay is scandalous but many still don't want others to know and I would respect that. There's no public interest issue with a baseball player having an affair.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Why are we on a first name basis with Jacoby Jones?  

Not just him. Jeimer, too. 

With a name like JaCoby, no last name is necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Storen will miss 2018 with TJ injury

No need to start the service time clock on Christin Stewart in April

Storen's TJ surgery is actually a ruse to keep interest off of him. The guy wants coney dogs.

As for Stewart, he is going to force the issue with 12 spring homers. Heh. I kid. But, I actually do think that he is going to do better in the bigs than we might think, and sooner as well. I believe that 28 HR power in the Eastern League will translate very well and he might hit for a better average as well, just based on the ball difference and the fact that he is not averse to walks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Or would he have empathy for his secret and let sleeping dogs lie?   To me being gay and having an affair are similar things in the sense that it's a part of your life that you may not wish to share.  Obviously there's moral/ethical grounds in a married man having an affair but I think society is a little beyond that.  I'm not saying being gay is scandalous but many still don't want others to know and I would respect that. There's no public interest issue with a baseball player having an affair.  

Agree that neither are public interest issues. 

To me the newsworthiness of the current story is more about the fact he is being sued for child support than it is about him presumably having an affair. The story seems to be “look at the multimillionaire who isn’t paying enough” more than “Miguel Cabrer has children with another woman.”

either way, the result of the story is a personal situation having to little to effect on his ability to play baseball is made public about a baseball player. 

His “character” isn’t really relevant to his celebrity status. If he was a politician or something, maybe it’s different. If he’s out there preaching about family values or something, maybe he would have opened the door. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Fun. 

Mahtook LF

Jeimer 3B

Castellanos RF

Cabrera DH

Hicks 1B

McCann C

JaCoby CF

Machado 2B

Iglesias SS

 

bench

Holaday

Presley

Romine

Aducci

 

Fulmer

Norris

Boyd

Fister 

Zimmermann

 

Greene

Wilson

Saupold

Bell

Stumpf

Lewicki

Farmer

 

I like it. First pick here we come. 

Honestly, I would prefer that Cabrera just DHs is at this point. If he's willing to do that, then I could see them signing a low risk free-agent first baseman with the idea that they may be able to trade them by the deadline.

I am curious if we are of the belief that Jacoby is eventually going to hit well enough to stick. Honestly right now I don't know if he even hits well enough to be a fourth outfielder. I think if he can hit at replacement level, he has value in that role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi.  In an interview I heard him say that his uncle was a baseball player so I looked it up and yes, it was indeed Virgil Trucks.  I thought that was cool.  I belong to a fan page of their band and a discussion came up about how we discovered them.  Virgil's daughter reached out to me.  I thought that was very neat.

 

 

trucks.PNG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I'm a fan of Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi.  In an interview I heard him say that his uncle was a baseball player so I looked it up and yes, it was indeed Virgil Trucks.  I thought that was cool.  I belong to a fan page of their band and a discussion came up about how we discovered them.  Virgil's daughter reached out to me.  I thought that was very neat.

 

 

trucks.PNG

First it's rubbing elbows with Cameron Crowe, Ty Cobb's granddaughter and now Virgil Trucks' daughter. You're a twitter celebrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I'm a fan of Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi.  In an interview I heard him say that his uncle was a baseball player so I looked it up and yes, it was indeed Virgil Trucks.  I thought that was cool.  I belong to a fan page of their band and a discussion came up about how we discovered them.  Virgil's daughter reached out to me.  I thought that was very neat.

 

 

trucks.PNG

He's also the nephew of Butch Trucks, from the Allman bros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cabrera story seems overblown. He bought her and his kids a $1 million house and is going to pay full child support- they are just debating over how much b/c of the Florida law. It seems like he's worried about her pocketing the extra money beyond the kids basic needs and hence Cabrera's lawyer's argument that the extra money should go into a trust fund for his kids.

Seems like a nothing issue.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Longgone said:

He's also the nephew of Butch Trucks, from the Allman bros.

Yeah that I knew. Gregg thought he was Duane reincarnated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

First it's rubbing elbows with Cameron Crowe, Ty Cobb's granddaughter and now Virgil Trucks' daughter. You're a twitter celebrity.

This last weekend I got a reply on twitter from Chuck Yeager.  70th anniversary of the sound barrier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Oblong said:

This last weekend I got a reply on twitter from Chuck Yeager.  70th anniversary of the sound barrier. 

Apropos of nothing, Chuck Yeager's scene in Terminal Velocity is one of the funniest things I've seen with a real-life hero playing himself in a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scottwood said:

The Cabrera story seems overblown. He bought her and his kids a $1 million house and is going to pay full child support- they are just debating over how much b/c of the Florida law. It seems like he's worried about her pocketing the extra money beyond the kids basic needs and hence Cabrera's lawyer's argument that the extra money should go into a trust fund for his kids.

Seems like a nothing issue.

Yeah, that law wasn’t likely written for people that make 30 million per year. It could have been written better, but whatever. 

At any rate, there is nothing scandalous about this, and researching and writing this story is about as clickbaity as it comes. 

Good job, hack Tony Paul. You summarized a publically available court document. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 8:39 PM, IdahoBert said:

 ... and he does not physically assault people from what I understand....

Other than Yankee catchers, and they don't really count as "people"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I don't want to know about their private lives at all, before or after their careers, unless it is something so outrageous, such as Chad Curtis, that everyone should know about it as a matter of public safety.  

I submit to you that personal interest stories about Deuce are ok.  Speaking of which, this reminds me of the time when Deuce was drafted.  He could have gone out with any girl in town, but he had his eye on Martha, the young librarian and Sunday school teacher.  Martha, who was pretty in spite of her thick glasses, didn't date and rebuffed all advances.  Deuce, of course, played it cool.  He would hang around the library parking lot at closing time, smoking and working on his motorcycle.  He ignored Martha when she left the library.  One day, while she was walking by, Deuce asked her for a cigarette.  Martha didn't smoke.  She stopped and stared at him, disarmed and mute.  After a moment, Deuce said "it's alright.  I'll just roll one."  And he did as Martha walked away.  

The next day, Deuce approached Martha at the library reference desk and asked her for a copy of Romeo and Juliet.  Martha rode home on the back of Deuce's bike that night, but not before a stop at Blueberry Hill.

Deuce never spoke to Martha again.

Martha now resides in Toledo where she has season tickets to the Mudhens and a heart full of hope.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

I submit to you that personal interest stories about Deuce are ok.  Speaking of which, this reminds me of the time when Deuce was drafted.  He could have gone out with any girl in town, but he had his eye on Martha, the young librarian and Sunday school teacher.  Martha, who was pretty in spite of her thick glasses, didn't date and rebuffed all advances.  Deuce, of course, played it cool.  He would hang around the library parking lot at closing time, smoking and working on his motorcycle.  He ignored Martha when she left the library.  One day, while she was walking by, Deuce asked her for a cigarette.  Martha didn't smoke.  She stopped and stared at him, disarmed and mute.  After a moment, Deuce said "it's alright.  I'll just roll one."  And he did as Martha walked away.  

The next day, Deuce approached Martha at the library reference desk and asked her for a copy of Romeo and Juliet.  Martha rode home on the back of Deuce's bike that night, but not before a stop at Blueberry Hill.

Deuce never spoke to Martha again.

Martha now resides in Toledo where she has season tickets to the Mudhens and a heart full of hope.

So real I found myself fighting back tears. Beautiful.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      95,488
    • Total Posts
      2,719,647
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×