Jump to content

IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Recommended Posts

I think that little guy we had after Polanco was 6 for 12 at one point.  don't recall his name but he had kind of a mullet and I think the girls liked him a little bit.  I don't care enough to look his name up right now.... but I think it was a 'baseball name'.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And seriously I am getting worked up over this Cabrera paternity thing.  Tony Paul is a hack.  That’s a private matter.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff like this is complicated and personal, with an underlying history that begs us to not get involved.  To me it’s not that important, for instance, that Martha Stewart spent time in prison for insider trading. She taught me how to bake sugar cookies with embedded stained-glass window panes made out of melted Life Savers. I feel the same way about Cabrera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Stuff like this is complicated and personal, with an underlying history that begs us to not get involved.  To me it’s not that important, for instance, that Martha Stewart spent time in prison for insider trading. She taught me how to bake sugar cookies with embedded stained-glass window panes made out of melted Life Savers. I feel the same way about Cabrera.

Gotta give it to you, that's a perspective that few people would ever begin to realize. I really need to look myself in the mirror after reading this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oblong said:

And seriously I am getting worked up over this Cabrera paternity thing.  Tony Paul is a hack.  That’s a private matter.  

It may be a private matter... but Cabrera is a very public athlete. He makes tons of $$$ as a player that is way high profile. When his personal issues play a part in his on-field performane, which has been the case in the past, it is news worthy. It comes with the territory. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Gotta give it to you, that's a perspective that few people would ever begin to realize. I really need to look myself in the mirror alter reading this.

 You know honestly, the cookies did not turn out very well, but I blame myself. I think if I had had a uterus I could’ve pulled it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

It may be a private matter... but Cabrera is a very public athlete. He makes tons of $$$ as a player that is way high profile. When his personal issues play a part in his on-field performane, which has been the case in the past, it is news worthy. It comes with the territory. Sorry.

Sure, it's a data point for fans regarding his struggles.

I think his family(s) now having to deal publicly with this far outweighs that data point tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 He doesn’t present himself as a moral example for others to emulate, he’s not an elected official and he does not physically assault people from what I understand.  Sure, I can see how it’s legitimate news, but I just find it tedious and irrelevant. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm rolling out big bucks to attend a large number of Tiger games and this guy has his mind elsewhere because of personal issues and his performance is in decline, it is a problem that is beyond his home. His drinking issue several years ago is a case in point. He was having problems at home and at the park because of his issues with alcohol. He's too high profile in his profession to get a pass. He'd be the first one to say as much. He's creating his own bad news, nobody is doing this for him. 

This is why I hated to see a guy like JV get moved. JV was always a solid citizen that understood the expectations of his profession and made his fans proud. 

I wish the Tigers could move Cabrera but that ain't about to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If I'm rolling out big bucks to attend a large number of Tiger games and this guy has his mind elsewhere because of personal issues and his performance is in decline, it is a problem that is beyond his home. His drinking issue several years ago is a case in point. He was having problems at home and at the park because of his issues with alcohol. He's too high profile in his profession to get a pass. He'd be the first one to say as much. He's creating his own bad news, nobody is doing this for him. 

This is why I hated to see a guy like JV get moved. JV was always a solid citizen that understood the expectations of his profession and made his fans proud. 

I wish the Tigers could move Cabrera but that ain't about to happen. 

 

To be fair, a paternity suit might not be in his control at all. I have no idea, but it could be filed in entirely bad faith and Miggy can't do anything to stop it. He has to wait for it to play out a bit in courts, but by then its still news. 

His drinking is a different situation that he can control. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it our business?  Players have lots of things that could distract them. Why do we have know about all of them?  Just because we choose this form of entertainment doesn’t mean we are entitled to know the details of theit private lives. I get distracted at work sometimes due to issues at home.  Maybe my oldest is struggling in school. Maybe my youngest has an ear infection.   Maybe my wife and I had a fight. Players have the same concerns we do.  Just because we buy a ticket doesn’t mean we should pry.  Yes it’s public record.  That doesn MEan we need to know all the details

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

To be fair, a paternity suit might not be in his control at all. I have no idea, but it could be filed in entirely bad faith and Miggy can't do anything to stop it. He has to wait for it to play out a bit in courts, but by then its still news. 

His drinking is a different situation that he can control. 

His drinking is also a public health issue... and legal.  This paternity is none of that. It’s a private dispute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s selfish of fans to think they own every aspect of a persons life just because they play for the team they like. Of what benefit is it to you?  What is being accomplished?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oblong said:

It’s selfish of fans to think they own every aspect of a persons life just because they play for the team they like. Of what benefit is it to you?  What is being accomplished?

yes it is selfish. it is of no benefit to us. nothing is being accomplished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oblong said:

Just because we buy a ticket doesn’t mean we should pry.  Yes it’s public record.  That doesn MEan we need to know all the details

I agree with your points and for the record, I don't know, at this point anyway, that anyone is necessarily prying. To this point, I see this as 'business as usual' media coverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oblong said:

It’s selfish of fans to think they own every aspect of a persons life just because they play for the team they like. Of what benefit is it to you?  What is being accomplished?

No one, to my knowledge, wants to own a part of Miggie's life. In today's America, this is part of the game-comes with the fame. There was a time when this probably would have been considered off-limits out of respect for those involved. Those days are, to quote a famous Tiger icon, loooong gone. As long as this sells, the media will report it. 

Disclaimer: I could not care less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The behind the scenes family life stuff isn't any of our business.  Shouldn't be, anyway.

But this has surfaced into the news now.  And the team just went through a painful season.  The short term looks bleak.  Cabrera had an awful season.  His contract appears to be an albatross, especially given the structure of the team now.  So this probably doesn't help with the emotional connection to the team much.  Right, wrong, or indifferent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oblong said:

It’s selfish of fans to think they own every aspect of a persons life just because they play for the team they like. Of what benefit is it to you?  What is being accomplished?

And why does the fact he makes millions somehow factor into it? 

If he only made $50,000 annually, would anyone say - 'he doesn't make much, so I don't care?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I didn't know, and I wish people weren't talking about it. 

I would love for athletes to be heroes,  but if the price for knowing about the true heroes is also to know of the true scoundrels, I'd rather know about neither.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×