IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:
anthony fenechVerified account @anthonyfenech
FollowingFollowing @anthonyfenech
More

Right-hander Mark Montgomery has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Tigers, I'm told.

From MLIve...

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Detroit Tigers have signed right-handed pitcher Mark Montgomery, the first of many minor-league free agents the team is likely to pursue this season.

Montgomery, 27, spent six years in the New York Yankees organization before signing with the St. Louis Cardinals last April. 

He's 22-11 with a 2.35 ERA in 352 career innings, all in the minors.

Last year for Triple-A Memphis, Montgomery went 5-1 with a 2.43 ERA in 66 2/3 innings.

Once seen as a future closer, Montgomery has battled shoulder problems that affected his velocity.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

From MLIve...

Signing ten of those guys and seeing what sticks will go a long way toward having a functional bullpen. 

Some highlights from McCosky piece/talk with Avila:

All nine open (40-man) spots won’t be used to protect Rule 5 guys.

“We are hoping to keep one roster spot open for us to draft a Rule 5 player,” Avila said. “And we have to add some pitching (mid- to low-level free agents), so that’s going to take up one or two spots.”

So, of the nine open spots, as many as six will be used to protect Rule 5 prospects.

Avila did say they were hoping to add a left-handed hitting outfielder for the 2018 season. Gerber, who is 25 and hit .304 with a .496 slugging percentage playing at Lakeland, Erie and Toledo last season, bats left-handed and can play all three outfield positions.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/11/13/tigers-stand-lose-prospects-rule-5-draft/107663798/

Montgomery is a 6-foot RH who used to be a top-10 prospect for the Yankees and is still looking for his first ML action at age 27. 

He relies heavily on the slider with a decent fastball.  He gets a lot of swings and misses.

Isn't he a past Cy Young winner?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of Mark Davis.  WTF they have to do with each other I don't know, but my joke obviously didn't work.

so what was the consensus on whether we should trade fullmer?

i think we should.  injury risk.  doesnt strike out enough folks.  possibility for a large return.

thoughts?

How did this trade Fulmer thing get going again?  I can't see him being traded until they know he is healthy.  Otherwise, the Tigers will get low-balled.  That being said, I am generally in favor of a re-building team trading good young pitching for good young positional talent.  It, of course, depends on how good though.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

How did this trade Fulmer thing get going again?  I can't see him being traded until they know he is healthy.  Otherwise, the Tigers will get low-balled.  That being said, I am generally in favor of a re-building team trading good young pitching for good young positional talent.  It, of course, depends on how good though.  

Agreed.  Now is not the time.  His value is strong, but will be stronger closer to the trade deadline.  They should only trade him if offered a huge return.

I'd be okay with trading Fulmer, but agree with Lee that positional talent should be targeted .. & at least 1 that's MLB ready .. Preferably an OF.

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think it started when it was obvious that the Tigers were going down the road that they are on now.  I know I mentioned at some point that I didn't consider Fulmer untouchable and I didn't have a problem with them floating his name to see what they could get in return.  I just figured it was due diligence.  I'm not sure that's where the "trade Fulmer" thing started.  Weren't there light rumblings about him going to the Cubs?

Edit to add:  I still don't have a problem with trading Fulmer, but I agree with everyone that the timing with the injury is not right.

i dont see why waiting to the trade deadline means you get more.  the white sox got a haul for chris sale in the offseason and the tigers got nothing for jd martinez near the trade deadline.

i would deal fulmer tomorrow if i could get what i thought was a good deal.  

I saw McCosky was asked this question on twitter. He said that teams will want to see how he throws post surgery and that peak value for him will be next offseason or trade deadline 19.

I tend to agree, though I think that if they do decide to trade him - and he has a good 2018, next offseason will be the prime time to do it. Next year's FA class is strong on bats, weak on arms. Also, if the Tigers show some real improvement in 2019 and look like they are on the path to contention for the following year, tough to trade Fulmer for prospects, even if that is the best move. 

After writing all that, I could see the rationale for trading him this deadline, assuming he has a great first half and a nice return is offered.

1 hour ago, irvink said:

I saw McCosky was asked this question on twitter. He said that teams will want to see how he throws post surgery and that peak value for him will be next offseason or trade deadline 19.

I tend to agree, though I think that if they do decide to trade him - and he has a good 2018, next offseason will be the prime time to do it. Next year's FA class is strong on bats, weak on arms. Also, if the Tigers show some real improvement in 2019 and look like they are on the path to contention for the following year, tough to trade Fulmer for prospects, even if that is the best move. 

After writing all that, I could see the rationale for trading him this deadline, assuming he has a great first half and a nice return is offered.

Also worth noting, that in 2018 offseason/2019 deadline we will have a better idea where we stand. Some of the youngsters will be at the ML level and others will be pushing the upper minors. That might be part of the reason to wait. If you have your #1 pick and the pitchers pushing and looking good it might be worth it to hold on to Michael. 

That said I also agree with Buddha that if they get a crazy return go ahead an move him this winter. But, Al should set the price high and keep it there. Basically only the Dodgers, yanks, Braves could match it. (don't think the we'd trade him to white sox)

5 hours ago, djhutch said:

I'd be okay with trading Fulmer, but agree with Lee that positional talent should be targeted .. & at least 1 that's MLB ready .. Preferably an OF.

Why the **** would we care about MLB ready?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

so what was the consensus on whether we should trade fullmer?

i think we should.  injury risk.  doesnt strike out enough folks.  possibility for a large return.

thoughts?

Its an absolute must, though I don't take a lowball offer due to the injury. 

46 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

The closer they are to the majors, the lower the probability that they will be a bust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Personally, I would like “young” mlb ready players in return if I was trading a young established good player. We don’t know how long the rebuild will take, but one of the ways to turn it around is to get back players that can play well in the majors soon. 

But that’s another reason I don’t think there needs to be a big rush to trade fulmer. He’s young enough and good enough that it’s reasonable to think he will still be here for the next playoff team. 

Call me crazy, but I think the Tigers should get "good" players, who can "win games"

fwiw, Candelario is a solid .270/.350/.450 guy in my OOTP game, which surely translates to real life. Also, this means Oswaldo Arcia is going to jack 52 dingers in 2019 for the expansion Vancouver Canadians. Strap yourselves in folks.

7 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

fwiw, Candelario is a solid .270/.350/.450 guy in my OOTP game, which surely translates to real life. Also, this means Oswaldo Arcia is going to jack 52 dingers in 2019 for the expansion Vancouver Canadians. Strap yourselves in folks.

You need a challenge.  TTWB needs an owner.  Jump on in.

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Call me crazy, but I think the Tigers should get "good" players, who can "win games"

I also think you should join the TTWB league.