IdahoBert

The Official 2017-2018 Detroit Tigers Off-season Thread

Interesting news for the off-season...take me out to the ball park.

Miguel Cabrera facing potentially costly paternity suit in Florida

Mark Townsend

Big League StewOctober 15, 2017

A Florida woman is suing Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera for child support. (AP)

More

Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has been slapped with a paternity suit that could ultimately cost him $100,000 a month in child support.

According to the Detroit News, court records show the child-support suit was filed in August by Belkis Mariela Rodriguez, 35, of Orlando, Fla. The suit alleges that the two-time MVP cut back on child-support payments earlier this year after helping her purchase a home worth nearly $1 million.

Cabrera has been paying a $6,200-plus monthly sum, according to court documents. Rodriguez’s attorney says Cabrera’s salary after taxes could dictate he pays more than $100,000 a month in child support under Florida statute guidelines.

Cabrera, 34, has earned over $216 million over the course of his 15-year MLB career. He’s guaranteed another $184 million on his current contract which runs through 2023.

In response, Cabrera, who is married and has three children, claims Rodriguez is attempting to extort him. He’s also requested paternity tests on the children, who were born in 2013 and 2015 respectively.

Here’s more from the report:

Rodriguez, a florist, has custody of both children, though Cabrera has visitation rights and a say in all “major” decisions involving the children, per court documents. Cabrera is named as the father on both birth certificates, Rodriguez says in the court documents.

Cabrera’s legal team has accused Rodriguez of “embarking on a mission to extort additional moneys to be used for her benefit under the guise of child support,” according to court records filed in Orange County, Florida.

Cabrera is scheduled to be questioned under oath by the woman’s lawyers during a videotaped deposition Thursday in Orlando. Rodriguez was scheduled to begin her deposition Friday.

The Detroit News report offers some pretty intense details from the 193 pages worth of court documents. Money is clearly at the heart of the matter, as Rodriguez and her legal team are looking for a bump that would require health insurance and other expenses covered.

The story also provides details that strongly suggested a long-standing relationship between Cabrera and Rodriguez existed. Though no relationship is directly mentioned on her social media, she’s seen in several ballparks where the Tigers were visiting over the summer. Some of those pictures were posted as recently as September, after the suit was reportedly filed.

The case now is headed for mediation, which is scheduled for Oct. 25. A final judgment isn’t expected until November or December.

More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

– – – – – – –

Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at bigleaguestew@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!

Follow @Townie813

NBC Sports Philadelphia

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

If I am so bored that I’m watching my son play MLB the show 2017 then it’s time for an off-season thread. 

86F6196F-7BF4-44AB-A5A2-705670CE627A.jpeg

30 runs.  47 hits.  It will take the 2018 Tigers 7 games to amass those totals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

30 runs.  47 hits.  It will take the 2018 Tigers 7 games to amass those totals.

It took the September 2017 Tigers an average 4 games to give up those totals.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

We need to roll up our sleeves on this.  By the beginning of spring training it has to be a 7,000 post behemoth.

Half of these will be all of the possible permutations of what the Opening Day pitching staff will look like.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

We need to roll up our sleeves on this.  By the beginning of spring training it has to be a 7,000 post behemoth.

If we divide by 125 days (November, December Jan, a bit of Feb, a bit of October) we need to average 56 posts a day

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

If I am so bored that I’m watching my son play MLB the show 2017 then it’s time for an off-season thread. 

It's the end of the 8th. Clearly Fulmer has been dealing, but his pitch count is up and it's time for the bullpen. Let's not kid ourselves about that lead being safe. 

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Forcibly change his difficulty settings!

• Like 2

Truthfully I don't really see the newsworthiness of Cabrera's suit.  I'm of the opinion that's a private matter.  No need to FOIA documents.  

13 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Bertfoolery.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Just for the record, Zimmerman pitched a complete game shut out, and Jacoby Jones went 7-7 with 2 homers. 

8796A490-30E0-4641-AD64-4CC3E43A3E6F.jpeg

Its like daydreaming about having a dream about a fantasy.  And then I saw the complete game and figured, nah, can't be true, not even fictionally true in an alternate dimension.

The Tigers have not won a postseason game since Shannon left Detroit.  Coincidence?  I think not.