LooseGoose

Michigan/Michigan State Rivalry

spartancenter wrote:
Like 3-9 jokes scUM fans? -
-Michigan is 3-9 in its last 12 bowl games
-In Harbaugh's 3rd season, his best win was against Purdue which lost 9 games last year
-It took 3 different Michigan QBs to throw 9 TDs in 2017

Life comes at ya fast/ spartanavenue

3-9 in bowl games is better than i would have guessed. 

In harbaugh’s third season, the best win was against a mediocre team that lost 9 games last year? Good thing we didn’t beat MSU, or our two best wins would provide double the shame. 

Michigan did have a lot of injuries at QB this year, that’s true, and the offense was pretty bad. That’s a fun fact. 

Did you know that Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln?

The last time michigan went 3-9, it was 2008, and things were different back then. George Bush was president, for one, and now he isn’t the president. Jim Harbaugh coached at Stanford and had a losing record (concerning?). Dantonio was only 1-1 against Michigan. 

Discussion from another board - has there ever been a UM/MSU BB game with more on the line?

Rivalry game with UM - possible sweep or they salvage a split
Senior Night for MSU
At least a share of the B1GTenTitle 
#1 Seed in the B1GTen tournament 
Seeding in the NCAA Tournament 

Both in the AP top Ten

National game exposure for recruits to see

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Discussion from another board - has there ever been a UM/MSU BB game with more on the line?

Rivalry game with UM - possible sweep or they salvage a split
Senior Night for MSU
At least a share of the B1GTenTitle 
#1 Seed in the B1GTen tournament 
Seeding in the NCAA Tournament 

Both in the AP top Ten

National game exposure for recruits to see

I don’t think a lot of those things matter all that much. The big ten title on the line in the final game of the season makes for a high stakes game, obviously. Due to scheduling that makes it hard to find a similar game. I think both matchups in 2013 were top ten matchups. 

Looking back at 2013, M and MSU played a late season game where both were in the top 10. It was at Crisler, and Indiana and OSU were also in the big ten title race, somewhat similar to Purdue being in the race this year. MSU has beaten Michigan at Breslin earlier in the season when they were both in the top 10. Michigan won the game.

Michigan won the game 58-57, making both teams 11-5 with two games left to play. MSU would go on to win their final two games and finish 13-5. OSU also finished 13-5. Michigan beat a mediocre Purdue team to get to 12-5, setting up a final regular season game against 13-4 Indiana. Jordan Morgan had his shot rim out at the buzzer against Indiana, costing Michigan, MSU, and OSU a big ten title. Indiana finished at 14-4 and sole big ten champs. Michigan finished 12-6 and in fourth place in the big ten. 

Obviously not exactly the same, but that’s the closest thing recently to a late season game with the big ten title on the line. Had M lost to MSU, they wouldn’t have been inches away from the big ten title. Had MSU beat M, they would have won a share of the title with Indiana, or even been sole champs if Morgan’s shot falls. 

Aside from senior night for MSU, everything else listed above was pretty much the same. 

My preview:

both teams are very good and basketball is a game of runs and it’s impossible to predict when and how those runs will take shape so who knows what will happen

also, neither team is particularly hurt by the players they have out because of injury

15 hours ago, Shelton said:

My preview:

both teams are very good and basketball is a game of runs and it’s impossible to predict when and how those runs will take shape so who knows what will happen

also, neither team is particularly hurt by the players they have out because of injury

I think you're spot on regarding the injuries - except in the case of foul trouble.

Not really a rivalry story but a comparison I've heard discussed.....

To stay or to go to the NBA? Differing trends at Michigan and Michigan State

The MSU "take" on this has been that the culture around the team makes them want to stay.  If you read post-departure  interviews with the players this seems to have some merit.   The UM "take" that I've heard is that Beilein coaches them up better or that Izzo talks them into staying.  I think the former is an unresolvable argument and the latter is wrong.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

The MSU "take" on this has been that the culture around the team makes them want to stay.  If you read post-departure  interviews with the players this seems to have some merit.   The UM "take" that I've heard is that Beilein coaches them up better or that Izzo talks them into staying.  I think the former is an unresolvable argument and the latter is wrong.

I don’t think there is a difference in culture or something emotional in play here. I just don’t think it’s a significant enough sample. 

But I do think there might be something here about the types of players that each coach tends to target for their programs. Beilein seems obsessed with recruiting big guys with range. Ozzie seems more focused on bangers and bulldog type guys. But that’s probably not accurate. It just feels that way. 

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I don’t think there is a difference in culture or something emotional in play here. I just don’t think it’s a significant enough sample. 

But I do think there might be something here about the types of players that each coach tends to target for their programs. Beilein seems obsessed with recruiting big guys with range. Ozzie seems more focused on bangers and bulldog type guys. But that’s probably not accurate. It just feels that way. 

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I agree that's a valid point.   Tillman has developed nicely but is inclined to stay, as a recruit he was seen as the "banger" type.  I don't think anyone really foresaw the improvements he's made.  Wagner would be the type of Beilein player I think you're referring to and quite honestly it was a shock (at least for me) how good he turned out to be.

The sample size observation is right and with the very limited numbers of basketball scholarships will probably always be true.

Do you think Izzy stays in the draft?   I do, but that's mostly because of his age.  Combine that with having a "high note" of a season and I see more downside for him returning than taking his chances and going.   He'll make a living somewhere.  In some ways comparable situation to Ward.   I don't see Ward making today's NBA, but he doesn't want to play school anymore and will be able to make a living playing BB somewhere so why not get started now?

College kids are generally going to leave for the NBA as soon as they believe they can be drafted.  This holds true regardless of school, and believing otherwise is putting yourself into a bit of a fanboy bubble.

Izzo and Beilein are both outstanding coaches.  Izzo has consistently gotten more high level talent than Beilein, and from a historical standpoint Izzo has achieved more success than Beilein.  I do think Beilein gets more out of his talent than Izzo - similar to how Dantonio gets his teams to play above their perceived talent.

MSU men's baseball going against M in A2 today. M up by one in the 1st, but the most striking thing is that MSU is playing in the ugliest, unflattering baseball uniform I think I have ever seen. Pond scum faded green baggy seamless knit. Just bad on so many levels. Looks like something designed by a woman that hated men.

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

MSU men's baseball going against M in A2 today. M up by one in the 1st, but the most striking thing is that MSU is playing in the ugliest, unflattering baseball uniform I think I have ever seen. Pond scum faded green baggy seamless knit. Just bad on so many levels. Looks like something designed by a woman that hated men.

I've not seen those - will have to look for them.  But they would fit with the caliber of MSU's team this year.   

31 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I've not seen those - will have to look for them.  But they would fit with the caliber of MSU's team this year.   

weird deal anyway - the game was not a conference game - will not count in the standings - I guess they were just playing for fun.

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

weird deal anyway - the game was not a conference game - will not count in the standings - I guess they were just playing for fun.

The B1GTen is so screwed up on their scheduling now.   I sometimes feel like the old man shouting at the clouds but I often long for the pre-expansion conference.  Home and Home for most sports for 18 league games  and true champions.  At least 8 conference football games but preferably 9 so all seniors play each team twice at home and twice away and again a true champion each year.  I know there's no going back but I truly believe expansion has done little to nothing to enhance the conference beyond lining some pockets.   I'm not even sure that the $$ is that much bigger when you consider the rights fees that the "Original" 10 could command in today's market combined with the lower travel costs.