Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

#17 Michigan vs Indiana - 10/14/17

What do you mean by fans punting on the season? I don’t see why the fans can’t simply think that the offense is butt while also hoping that they are able to win games despite that. We can expect a loss in a few games left on the schedule without giving up on the season. 

This is a team with some really good parts and some really bad parts. The baseline fan expectation *should* be that they are going to lose a few more games. The starting QB is out for the year and the backup is not good. They have no good outside receivers. They can’t pass protect. 

Expecting the team to lose on the road at PSU (the team that won the conference last year and is undefeated this year) is not just some message board overreaction or the sign of a bad fan. 

You responded to me over the weekend and said “with fans like you who needs rivals.” I don’t really think that’s fair or accurate. Especially since it was in response to a joke about the Indiana game being a fluke game. 

I don’t think there are many people on this website that are being unreasonable about their opinion and of the team. I do like your optimism when it comes to Michigan football. But stop acting like everyone who thinks they are going to lose to PSU is just some overreacting pessimist. 

9 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Just rewatched that a few several times and it looks like Watson blew his contain duty as the flyer.  He was so far inside, no way that coverage was designed for him to be there.  That punt went almost straight up the field from where Robbins booted it from inside of the left hash.

This was from the post game press conference:

And then the punt from Brad [Robbins], had you asked him to kick away from him on that last one or did you just decide to take a chance there?

“No, he was supposed to kick it to the opposite boundary that he did. Wound up in the middle of the field. You could see they had a wall set up. From my view, looked like he kicked the laces, too, which… there’s a lot of young guys out there and he’s one of them, and he’s doing a phenomenal job and the other guys are doing a phenomenal job.

###

I assume he is referring to the second to last punt, as the last punt went for a touchback.

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

This was from the post game press conference:

And then the punt from Brad [Robbins], had you asked him to kick away from him on that last one or did you just decide to take a chance there?

“No, he was supposed to kick it to the opposite boundary that he did. Wound up in the middle of the field. You could see they had a wall set up. From my view, looked like he kicked the laces, too, which… there’s a lot of young guys out there and he’s one of them, and he’s doing a phenomenal job and the other guys are doing a phenomenal job.

###

I assume he is referring to the second to last punt, as the last punt went for a touchback.

So Robbins was supposed to kick it to the right hash, when he was kicking from just above the left?  Watson still looks very out of position to me, but I'm far from coverage guru.  Upon further review, the returner fielded the ball close to the very middle of the field and Watson was easily pinched off from the outside by a block because he hedged so far in.  The biggest problem with the punt, IMO, is the 3.7 seconds of hangtime.  It does look like he kicked it close to the laces, but hard to tell with the resolution of this feed.

The play is at 31:05.

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

This just in:  The SEC plays good football.

this just in: mickey doesnt watch much sec football this year.

s and p has florida ranked 48th and tennessee ranked 66th.

powerhouses!

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

this just in: mickey doesnt watch much sec football this year.

Give PSU Auburn's schedule this year and watch them go .500.

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Give PSU Auburn's schedule this year and watch them go .500.

youre really overrating the sec this year.  

alabama is the best team in the country again.  georgia looks really good this year.  auburn is decent.

everyone else sucks.  

i would put ohio state over every team in the sec other than alabama.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

youre really overrating the sec this year.  

alabama is the best team in the country again.  georgia looks really good this year.  auburn is decent.

everyone else sucks.  

i would put ohio state over every team in the sec other than alabama.

None of that changes that PSU would go five-hundred in the SEC. 

penn state is better than every team in the sec other than alabama and georgia.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

penn state is better than every team in the sec other than alabama and georgia.

Because they have played so many great teams and proven it.  

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

What do you mean by fans punting on the season? I don’t see why the fans can’t simply think that the offense is butt while also hoping that they are able to win games despite that. We can expect a loss in a few games left on the schedule without giving up on the season. 

This is a team with some really good parts and some really bad parts. The baseline fan expectation *should* be that they are going to lose a few more games. The starting QB is out for the year and the backup is not good. They have no good outside receivers. They can’t pass protect. 

Expecting the team to lose on the road at PSU (the team that won the conference last year and is undefeated this year) is not just some message board overreaction or the sign of a bad fan. 

You responded to me over the weekend and said “with fans like you who needs rivals.” I don’t really think that’s fair or accurate. Especially since it was in response to a joke about the Indiana game being a fluke game. 

I don’t think there are many people on this website that are being unreasonable about their opinion and of the team. I do like your optimism when it comes to Michigan football. But stop acting like everyone who thinks they are going to lose to PSU is just some overreacting pessimist. 

Michigan destroyed PSU last season, and that point is as relevant as saying that PSU is good because PSU won the B1G last year. 

PSU hasnt played a real defense this year, and allows more sacks than any B1G team,  so I'm OK siding with optimism. I don't think PSU is worthy of a #2 ranking because their schedule was designed soft and is soft.  

To understand that the game will be a challenge is one thing, but to be resigned to chalking up a loss is perhaps the sign of scars from previous head coaching regimes--or something. 

Perhaps this is just a board I need to stay off of as to not interfere with majority opinion that the team sucks, the receivers suck, JOK sucks, SEC sucks and that PSU is fantastic. 

I'm going to do my best to enjoy the rest of the season. You do you. 

43 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Because they have played so many great teams and proven it.  

which great teams have florida tennessee and auburn played and beaten?

i think this is a really down year for college football.  a lot of the traditional good teams arent actually very good.  i include michigan and much of the sec in that group.  along with usc and florida state.

and again, i dont think penn state is all that good and michigan has a shot to upset them because michigan's defense is really good.

20 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Michigan destroyed PSU last season, and that point is as relevant as saying that PSU is good because PSU won the B1G last year. 

PSU hasnt played a real defense this year, and allows more sacks than any B1G team,  so I'm OK siding with optimism. I don't think PSU is worthy of a #2 ranking because their schedule was designed soft and is soft.  

To understand that the game will be a challenge is one thing, but to be resigned to chalking up a loss is perhaps the sign of scars from previous head coaching regimes--or something. 

Perhaps this is just a board I need to stay off of as to not interfere with majority opinion that the team sucks, the receivers suck, JOK sucks, SEC sucks and that PSU is fantastic. 

oh woe is you.  somebody disagrees with your opinion about michigan so you have to run away and stay off the board.  good lord, people disagree with your basketball opinions all the time and you keep making them.  :)

im still surprised anyone thinks this michigan team is really good, but i am happy to see someone does.  i hope youre right.

9 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

You can do you, too. We are just having a discussion about a sports team. It’s not that big of a deal. 

As for PSU, I think previous year performance is relevant. Especially when you return guys like Barkley and McSorley. Michigan destroying them last year is less relevant to me because it was a single game, and this year’s team bears little resemblance to last year’s. Last year’s Michigan team was really good and better than PSU. 

No one is chalking up the game as a loss due to past coaches or whatever you are saying. People are chalking it up as a loss because the offense has been butt over the past two weeks and we lost to MSU and couldn’t put away Indiana and had to go to overtime to settle it. 

As to your hyperbole, I don’t think the team suck. I just dont think it’s good. I think the receivers kind of suck. I think JOK isn’t good, but I don’t think he sucks. I think the pass protection really sucks and he isn’t good enough to deal with it. I don’t give a **** about the SEC. I think PSU is good and better than Michigan. I have no idea if they are fantastic. Hard to say that about team after 5 or so games and a bunch of non conference games. I can let you know how I feel about Penn State after another five games or so. I can’t believe I just responded to your strawman but here we are.

Again, none of this is a big deal. It’s fine to be confident about this game and this season and it’s fine to think they will lose this game on the way to 8-4.